Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Great ‘best value restaurant food’ Hunt
    • 24th Feb 09, 5:35 PM
    Great ‘best value restaurant food’ Hunt 24th Feb 09 at 5:35 PM
    Without a doubt, eating in a restaurant instead of cooking at home costs more. Yet how much more depends mostly on what you order and where you opt to dine.

We'd like to tap MoneySavers for their top tips on where to go and what to eat that doesn't cost outrageously more than if you were to cook it yourself. For example, a pizza only costs around 50p to make, yet most eateries will charge in excess of Ł8. On the other hand, supermarkets sell steaks for a couple of quid yet some restaurants will offer this, plus chips and veg, for a fiver.

Please click reply to add your ideas and suggestions.

And if you're an avid restaurant diner, don't forget to look out for your favourite places on the daily updated Cheap Restaurant Deals note to nab 2for1 and 50% off promotions.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
  • bottleredhead
    • 25th Feb 09, 12:23 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 12:23 AM
    This has been our familys favorite for a good few years now:

http://www.littlebay.co.uk/london.html

Starters: between noon & 7pm Ł2.25, Ł2.95 after 7pm
    Mains: between noon & 7pm Ł5.25, Ł6.85 after 7pm
    Puddings: between noon & 7pm Ł2.25 after 7pm Ł2.95

Check out the menu, superb value for money and the profiteroles are the best I have ever had; no way could you get the value and portion size and atmosphere anywhere else.

(I have even managed Lunch and Dinner there in the same day, wicked!)
    I'm a Nanny again! 23rd April 2012
    Elijah arrived 7 weeks early, 4lb 6.5ozs struggling a bit but in neo natal so well looke after!

I'm A Nanny! (3rd July 2008)
    Carmella arrived 7 weeks early, 4lb 11ozs and doing well in Neo natal
  • competitionscafe
    • 25th Feb 09, 12:24 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 12:24 AM
    I know times are tough but these 2 for 1 and 50% off offers by the big chains are really hurting the small individually owned local restaurants. I am not saying you should support your local sole proprieter owned local restaurant just because it's a small local business: but if it's a good restaurant then it needs your support now more than ever. Most of the big chains (owned by large publicly listed companies) serve very average food anyway.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • bob4jane
    • By bob4jane 25th Feb 09, 1:00 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    bob4jane
    • 25th Feb 09, 1:00 AM
    Local Independant Pub
    • 25th Feb 09, 1:00 AM
    There is a pub over the road from me (It's on Gosbrook Road, Caversham, RG4 if you're excited) that is offering meals for Ł1.99.

Wetherspoons (AKA Students' Paradise) charged me only Ł2.99 for sausage,chips and beans. But even that is more expensive than a few spuds, a pack of sausages and a tin of beans (+leccy/water bills)

The only thing you can BE SURE of getting cheaper than at home is drinking water:

Home: Water costs.
    Pub: FREE

I'm going to start filling up bottles at the pub to take home, to brush my teeth with!
    "Money is the root of all evil" -Poor person.
    "Money makes the world go round" - Rich Person.
    "Lack of money is the root of all evil" - (c) Me.
  • chivers1977
    • 25th Feb 09, 6:42 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 6:42 AM
    This has been our familys favorite for a good few years now:

http://www.littlebay.co.uk/london.html

Starters: between noon & 7pm Ł2.25, Ł2.95 after 7pm
    Mains: between noon & 7pm Ł5.25, Ł6.85 after 7pm
    Puddings: between noon & 7pm Ł2.25 after 7pm Ł2.95

Check out the menu, superb value for money and the profiteroles are the best I have ever had; no way could you get the value and portion size and atmosphere anywhere else.

(I have even managed Lunch and Dinner there in the same day, wicked!)
    Originally posted by bottleredhead
    I know that this is famous in the Croydon area - must say I never made it there when I lived there for years!
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
    • sare
    • By sare 25th Feb 09, 7:11 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    sare
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:11 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:11 AM
    Crown Carveries. All you can eat carvery for Ł3.50 Monday to Saturday. It would cost me more to cook it at home.
  • lesley1960
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:27 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:27 AM
    Without a doubt, eating in a restaurant instead of cooking at home costs more. Yet how much more depends mostly on what you order and where you opt to dine.

We'd like to tap MoneySavers for their top tips on where to go and what to eat that doesn't cost outrageously more than if you were to cook it yourself. For example, a pizza only costs around 50p to make, yet most eateries will charge in excess of Ł8. On the other hand, supermarkets sell steaks for a couple of quid yet some restaurants will offer this, plus chips and veg, for a fiver.

Please click reply to add your ideas and suggestions.

And if you're an avid restaurant diner, don't forget to look out for your favourite places on the daily updated Cheap Restaurant Deals note to nab 2for1 and 50% off promotions.

Originally posted by MSE Natasha

It depends on what costs you factor in the cost of making a pizza at home ,once you take into account your mortgage/ rent , heating , lighting , labour costs etc etc it does cost more then 50p .

I personally think eating out cheaply is a waste , on the whole the food and experience isnt very good .
  • viktory
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:56 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:56 AM
    Toby Carvery are not bad although they are always heaving. At the moment they are doing a carvery meal and ice cream sundae for Ł4.90. Considering you can go back for more veg that is a very good offer.

I love eating out and whilst I know that is is going to cost more than eating at home in my opinion you cannot beat a well cooked meal, waiter service and no washing up!
  • Gaye_Hood_Henry
    • 25th Feb 09, 8:29 AM
    Jenny's restaurants and The Quay pub at Aqua Billing
    • 25th Feb 09, 8:29 AM
    Not sure if they are all over the country or just in Northamptonshire region but if you like simple food well cooked then Jennys is worth a go. I was put off by the 'egg and chips' look of the place but once forced in there for a desperate wee I discovered the amazing value to be had in eating there!

The Quay, a waterside pub in Aqua Billing Northampton with a great deck area overlooking the marina, is doing two main courses for Ł10. This offer covers all dishes marked with the 2 for Ł10 symbol and includes great steaks; all their steaks are matured for 28 days (like Sainsburys Finest).

There you (and I) go!
    Last edited by Gaye_Hood_Henry; 25-02-2009 at 8:40 AM. Reason: bad grammar and then bad punctuation! MUST do better!
    Save on washing-up too.... eat from the tin!
    • jillyb
    • By jillyb 25th Feb 09, 8:36 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jillyb
    Agree, the Crown Carveries are great - even cheaper than Toby, at Ł3.50.
    Wetherspoons, especially if you have a voucher, are good value, but have noticed their prices creeping up, their coffee used to be 69p, now it is 89p, I think!
  • Daveee
    This is without doubt the best value in the country!
    Golden Eagle, Blackpool.
    2 Steak meals for under Ł6. Great food and great choice, gammon steaks are to die for! Internet club sends vouchers for Ł5 off so it is possible to have 2 meals for Ł1! The pub is owned by Punch Taverns. (The vouchers it seems are an error and the offer was meant to be sent to their Southern customers where the offer is 2 for Ł10 but it clearly states valid against 2 for 1 deals so are accepted although reluctantly).

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 03-03-2009 at 6:57 PM.
  • gafffe
    It depends on what costs you factor in the cost of making a pizza at home ,once you take into account your mortgage/ rent , heating , lighting , labour costs etc etc it does cost more then 50p .
    Originally posted by lesley1960
    Good point regarding time (or labour costs as you put it). To me that's the most expensive thing and most people don't put a price on it.

In London Icco's on Goodge St does good, filling pizzas starting at 3.50Ł.

It isn't a restaurant, but you can eat in - Beigel Bake at the top of Brick Lane (near the 8 bus stop) does some hot salt beef beigels with enough slices of meat to give you an instant coronary (Ł2ish) and it's open 24/7 (priceless). They have also have cheaper fillings and sweet baked stuff like carrot cake and apple strudels, all delicious and all cheap - it's hard to spend more than a fiver in this place.
    • annieme
    • By annieme 25th Feb 09, 9:21 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 5,930 Thanks
    annieme
    Crown Carveries are brilliant as the drinks are also very reasonable. It costs about Ł10 for 2 meals, a glass of wine & 1/2 pint of Stella.
  • sandra66
    Cheap eating out
    I personally think you pay for what you get.

How can you have a meal, good quality, for very cheap price ?
    The butcher is charging 30 gbp for 1 kg of good steak.

As a family of 4 (2 smallish kids) 1 kg will do for 2 meals (but of course need to add extras). So it is 15 gbp only for the meat (so 3 each for the kids and almost 5 for the adult).

Now what type of meat you eat if you pay less than this ?

I know that a 'restaurant' is a business, so it is there to make a profit, but usually the profit is in the drink and not the food....

Just think about when you go eating next time.

Of course if there is a 'special' in a very nice restaurant, than I would give it a go, because they do not want to loose their usual customer.
    Or for a Pizza like Pizza Express because I know what they are doing - same type of Pizza, but pubs or cheap cheap places... no thank you.

One good meal every now and then is better than a lot of yukkie one !
  • Oldernotwiser
    Toby Carvery are not bad although they are always heaving.
    Originally posted by viktory
    Rather unfortunate in a restaurant, don't you think?
  • hfr45
    Excellent pub meals
    The Gate Inn
    Marshside
    Nr Herne Bay, Kent
    01227 860498

Well-kept beer but pricey.
    Excellent, fairly-priced food.
    • TrickyDicky
    • By TrickyDicky 25th Feb 09, 10:04 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    TrickyDicky
    Its been 3.5 years since I was there at uni, but Durham has probably got one of the highest concentraction of italian restaurants, and because of these, they all do a "happy hour" from around 5-7pm where any pizza or pasta is Ł4-5.

More specific places:
    La Spagettata has prices like this all the time anyway.
    Ricardos was happy hour all night every tuesday, as well as 5-7 every day.

Also, because Durham's population is about 50% students, other restaurants offer similar deals.
    IIRC correctly, the Numjai restaurant, at the back of the milburn shopping centre (its a bit out the way) is probably the best Thai Ive ever been to. Its quite pricey in the evenings (about Ł12-13 per main course) but did lunch specials:
    Ł5 for a selected main or Ł7.95 for starter, main and coffee.
  • kissag
    meals
    Greetings,

Cleethorpes:

Oriental Express Indian or Chinese food, or both, Mon - Fri, Ł6.50 for 3 course buffet, all you can eat, OAP deal Ł4.50

Grosvenor (Sizzlers) 8oz steak meal limited period Ł3.89

Trawlerman, Mon - Fri carvery, great meal Ł3.49
  • thrifty_sue
    are there any good restaurant deals local to brighton please?
  • I_heart_bargains
    For anyone in Plympton / Plymouth, Devon
    A local pub in Plympton, The Chaddlewood Inn, now offers 2 meals for Ł5 and the food is stunning! The meals they offer could not be made at home for the same price so its a real bargain.

Although its our local, the pub is under-run by a food chain of some sort but i'm not sure of the company name.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin