Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MyLastFiver
    • By MyLastFiver 22nd Feb 09, 10:54 AM
    • 820Posts
    • 1,302Thanks
    MyLastFiver
    Can I go a month without spending anything?
    • 22nd Feb 09, 10:54 AM
    Can I go a month without spending anything? 22nd Feb 09 at 10:54 AM
    I really want to get some savings behind me, for when my DMP creditors get fed up and start demanding payment in full.

After paying bills and doing the supermarket shopping, I reckon I could go a month without spending anything else. Bike to work so no petrol to buy, take sandwiches so no lunches, bottle of wine from the rack on a Friday night...

Has anyone else ever managed to achieve this?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 24-02-2009 at 9:50 PM.
Page 1
  • bank_of_slate
    • 22nd Feb 09, 10:59 AM
    • 22nd Feb 09, 10:59 AM
    I think a month would be difficult because there may be unexpected little things that are needed.
    Try taking it a week at a time, the worst thing is to set yourself a big target like a month and then if you don't manage it you can feel like a failure.
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 22nd Feb 09, 11:14 AM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 51,358 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 22nd Feb 09, 11:14 AM
    • 22nd Feb 09, 11:14 AM
    I was thinking about paying up my ostyer card(travel expenses), I take packed lunch and don't have to go out and then seeing how long fifty quid would last me, Feb been a bit interesting on the money front and March is looking quiet so far.

I might try the fifty quid thing. its all about (depressingly) forward planning.....
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
  • Jolly2009
    • 22nd Feb 09, 11:21 AM
    • 22nd Feb 09, 11:21 AM
    This sounds interesting!

I've been thinking along the same lines as you, one because I am never too sure what they are going to do and two because we don't own our own house so will need to save a bigger deposit as OH will have to take out a mortgage on his own (he has no debts!) ....just really need to save some pennies!

I think maybe taking a week at a time and updating your progress on this thread would be a good way to do it - little steps and all that

Good luck, i'll be reading with interest. x
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 23rd Feb 09, 5:58 PM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 51,358 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 23rd Feb 09, 5:58 PM
    • 23rd Feb 09, 5:58 PM
    My Last Fiver where'd you go?

After an especially crap day at work I have decided to give my self 50 quid spending money for March.

I NEED to get out of debt more quickly.

so I just thought I'd let you know really I know its not what you are doing?

but its similar and I am rambling cos I am hungry

cheers
    Buffy xxx
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • MyLastFiver
    • By MyLastFiver 23rd Feb 09, 10:41 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    MyLastFiver
    • 23rd Feb 09, 10:41 PM
    • 23rd Feb 09, 10:41 PM
    My Last Fiver where'd you go?

After an especially crap day at work I have decided to give my self 50 quid spending money for March.

I NEED to get out of debt more quickly.

so I just thought I'd let you know really I know its not what you are doing?

but its similar and I am rambling cos I am hungry

cheers
    Buffy xxx
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    Still here! I get paid on Thursday so I'm starting from then. Will post progress. Good luck with your 50 quid March thingy
  • talliedebtbuster
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:10 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 7:10 AM
    Ahh now you see im going to try this myself from friday. I think it can be done unless the unexpected comes up! Im going to make up a list of all the ways i can not spend money later.
    Debt for Tallie - JUNE 2009
    NATWEST LOAN......5000.00
    CREDIT CARDS........5000.00
    STUDENT LOAN.......7500.00
    TESCO CARD..........1000.00
  • doyda
    • 25th Feb 09, 8:18 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 8:18 AM
    Hiya,

Just thought I would add to this thread
    I have had an atrocious month of February sp determined that March is going to be THE month to start getting back on track. I have been saying this since Jan so this has to be the month - my stress levels can't take anymore lol the stress is all down to bad planning on my part lol.

Anyway I am going to try the no spend month in a sort of way:

50 spends for the month
    200 for food and petrol for a family of 3 +3 dogs and a cat

Total of 250 to live on for the month!!! Here goes.
    debt at LBM - 29163.15
    October 10/day challenge - 465.30/310
    October Shopping Challenge - 179.99/200
    October loose change - 13.59
    Cashbackextreme - 15.08
  • tesss
    • 25th Feb 09, 8:28 AM
    • 25th Feb 09, 8:28 AM
    HI All
    Just wanted to post some support. I've been doing this since the start of the year when I realised that I spend more than I earn ooer!

I've been keeping a track of everything I spend which isn't as laborious as it sounds, against a budget for all my train fares, food, snacks, petrol, etc. I've been amazed by what I've managed to save. It's just given me that extra will power to not buy something (I am a bit of a spend freak) and each time I spend money I ask myself whether I actually need it. My budgeting at the beginning of the month I work out what I need to buy in that month.

I think you need to be realistic though - don't set yourself up for failure - if you know your car needs servicing or you have to buy something for that important wedding/birthday etc then factor that in otherwise you'll just go mad in the following month when you have money available again.
    Anyway this is what has worked for me - hope it helps and good luck!
  • ad9898
    I really want to get some savings behind me, for when my DMP creditors get fed up and start demanding payment in full.

After paying bills and doing the supermarket shopping, I reckon I could go a month without spending anything else. Bike to work so no petrol to buy, take sandwiches so no lunches, bottle of wine from the rack on a Friday night...

Has anyone else ever managed to achieve this?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Originally posted by MyLastFiver
    I wasn't in any debt, still aren't thankfully, however in the 6 months from Jan 2008- June 2008 I managed only to spend 3.95 in all of that time. (bills and food aside), so a month can be done easily.
  • crazyaboutsaving
    Wow ad9898, that's impressive! Way to go!
    For the most part we keep our spending in check (i.e. not accumulating any more debt and paying a little extra down) but I know we can do better. We can put more on our debt if we spent less on frivolous things. I think this is an interesting challenge, and although I don't want to avoid spending entirely for a month, I think I will set myself a target and stick with it.
    At the moment, our target is:
    20 pounds personal spend each for my OH and I.
    20 pounds couple spend (this includes eating out, nights out, movies, etc.).
    Total spending: 60 pounds.
    We use vouchers (like tesco clubcard vouchers) etc. to eat out, so this keeps our spending down even though we do go out regularly.
    Anyhow, this is a great idea and good luck MyLastFiver! Keep us updated on how your monthly spend goes!
    Debt at highest 01/01/2008- $79,385.32
    Debt now 01/03/2009 - $63,194.72
    DFW Nerd Club Member #993
    Feb NSD challenge 9/10 days, Mar NSD 5/10 days
    Mar grocery challenge 221.02/250
  • scattymam1
    Great challenge mylastfiver, may well join you - so will be watching with interest. I say go the whole hog and go for the month!
    I've been doing survey sites like crazy so I have enough vouchers to cover anything unexpected (birthdays, etc).

Might sound daft but on the weekly shop I'm going to include treats for child as it's one of those things if we go into the offie for one pack of sweets for her we end up spending a fortune on other junk for us - up to a fiver every time - if I get obvious things like this under control I could save a fortune.

Will walk to relatives houses/town over the weekend to save petrol (may even get fed while we're there) and try and talk husband to join me and get him to take the bike to work. Wish me luck on that one mind!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 25th Feb 09, 9:49 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Being realistic, I cannot go a month without spending anything but I have learnt to cut costs and be more sensible. I only go out if I have to, and often walk instead of taking the bus. I bulk buy items and get the reduced stuff a the supermarket which I then freeze. I still have very little to spend but it means that if I am sensible most of the time, I can afford the odd bit of naughtiness, like I am turning down a shift at work so I can see friends...that sort of thing.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • TurnaroundSue
    My whole life changed 2 years ago when there was the Unnecessary Challenge. It was for lent and the challenge was not to be anything UNNCESSARY for the whole 40 days and I did it.... I only went and bl**dy did it!!!! For the first time in years I had money in the bank, changed my whole outlook on how I saw money and 18 months after that I became debt free. Am still debt free 6 months on, now have savings and a healthy approach to money. For me, the Unnecessary Challenge was the best challenge I have ever done and it turned my life around.

Go for it and I will be watching with interest how you all get on on your journey.
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!
  • carmen_sm8
    I'm with you on the challenge
    :confused: Yes it has been a while since I have been on here because I am so ashamed of my spending over the last 3 months!!! So much for getting it under control.

So here are my personal spendtight targets;-

Spend no more than 10 on myself/kids luxuries during the whole of March!
    Spend no more than 5 on myself/kids luxuries during the whole of April!
    Spend nothing on myself/kids luxuries during May!

Lets see how this goes ....... eeek!
    It loves me not, it loves me SO, Money be my Friend, not Foe, A new leaf I will turn, For human beings can but learn... Danni L (2008)
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 26th Feb 09, 11:30 AM
    • 10,095 Posts
    • 125,255 Thanks
    kazwookie
    I allow my self 10 per week for spending, often don't spend that amount (food and bills aside) so every Monday I just top my 10 up.

Last week I only spent 2.56!!!

I refuse to buy newspapers on any day of the week, you can read online / watch news on telly.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • sallymander
    • By sallymander 26th Feb 09, 11:11 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    sallymander
    Hi all, I have been a long time lurker and this my first post, but i just wanted to ask ad9898 what did you spend your money on when you did slip?

Also what a great challenge!! I think im going to try but with a tenner a week as im still new to this MoneySaving malarky.

Keep up with all the inspiring posts everyone and good luck

sala x
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 26th Feb 09, 11:30 PM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 51,358 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    oooooooo this thread was in the e mail! how exciting ! We have to do it properly now!!

xxxxxxxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,343Posts Today

6,884Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin