Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 9th Mar 06, 9:16 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 9th Mar 06, 9:16 AM
    • 9th Mar 06, 9:16 AM
    LOADSA thanks for doing this one for us all Racy

It's now our main link for breadmaking in the "Indexed Collections" in the "Start Here" bar at the top of every page, and also in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index.
    Last edited by squeaky; 03-01-2007 at 1:08 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • montycarlo2
    • 9th Jan 07, 2:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 07, 2:39 PM
    I regularly make bread by hand, and find it completely unnecessary to worry about knocking back or punching down dough that has already risen. You can get a perfectly decent loaf without this. I use the following method a couple of times a week to make a standard white loaf. Its got the same ingredients as the one you will find on the back of hovis packets, though the method is different.

1 sachet easy-bake yeast (this is the dried stuff you can get in packs of six or seven, not the active yeast that needs pre-mixing with water)

500g white flour

300ml warm water (This is great way to save time - the hotter the water, the less the proving time, though if the water is above 50 degrees celcius, you will kill the yeast. Use a thermometer if you have one and aim for about 45 degrees)

1.5 tsp salt

25g butter/marg (not vital in my opinion, but good for taste and also helps preserve the bread for a day or two)

2tsp sugar (if you like a hard crust, optional)

Mix all dry ingredients together, but keep back half the flour. Add water, and mix together until consistent, leaving a very liquidy mixture. Add bit of flour, mix, more flour, mix, until you have used all the flour and can't mix anymore. This method mixes the ingredients much more efficiently.

Empty on to surface, and kneed until dough takes shape. Try to avoid adding any extra flour or you may end up with a very heavy bread. If it gets a bit sticky, persevere and you should be ok (tip: move dough around quite quickly if stickiness occurs). You should be able to get a passable dough in just 2-3 mins. There is no real need to knead for 10 mins or more as most recipes say, 3 or 4 mins is fine. The dough is ready when it shrinks back when stretched. If you are unsure, do 10 mins.

Place in greased 2 lb loaf tin.

Cover and prove for about an hour or so. The trick is to make sure the dough doesn't dry out, and a dampish tea towel is ok for this. Ignore any rubbish about greased cling film you sometimes see.

Bake at 220 celcius for 25 mins. Turn round halfway through if you have a fan oven.

Remove from tin and leave to cool.
  • Kadeeae
    • 19th Jul 07, 5:12 PM
    • 19th Jul 07, 5:12 PM
    Oooo...so glad I found this post, thanks!
    • hansi
    • By hansi 21st Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    • 21st Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    Panasonic FastBake Stainless Steel Breadmaker
    • 21st Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    I have a problem with this machine and don't know if it's supposed to this, but after the kneading cycle, the container unlocks itself, in other words, when you put it in first you have to turn to lock it, well it then unlocks itself. Is this normal?
  • brixie11
    • 14th Mar 11, 7:54 AM
    • 14th Mar 11, 7:54 AM
    I'm going through this index and I find a lot of posts about if I should do this or if I can do that. Of course you ca do all of it - the worst case scenario is unedible bread .

When I started to bake bread in BM ( its 12 yrs now ) I was doing calculations of expenses and how much money I save for that. I was amazed on results. So, years passed and started to experiment with my BM ( its my second one - and yes its in my calculations as well ). But surprisingly there was not a lot of waste ).

So if you want to experiment with recepies use your head. Hmmm, about my first BM - I burned a motor because there was a very heavy mix ( I misscalculated liquid content ). But I told my wife its old piece of junk ( it was 9 yrs old ) and we bought a new one .

At first I had a scale to measure the contents, but when I started to browse the web for recepies I discovered the "cups" ( ofcourse there came a plastic jar with the BM but I never look at it closely - in fact I lost the first one ). With thorough research of the web about US/UK measurements ( I'm from Slovenia by the way ) I now lost the scales . I only use the cup which came with the BM an a magical spoon with two sides tbsp and tsp.

So thank you for this forum, I have another 20 years to experiment .
    • Alison Funnell
    • By Alison Funnell 14th Mar 11, 8:02 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Alison Funnell
    • 14th Mar 11, 8:02 AM
    • 14th Mar 11, 8:02 AM
    No soda bread?
    Put the kettle on.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 14th Mar 11, 8:19 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 14th Mar 11, 8:19 AM
    • 14th Mar 11, 8:19 AM
    No soda bread?
    Originally posted by Alison Funnell
    Hi,

It's been a while since these various index threads have been updated. The link below will help you out:-

Hubby wants to make soda bread HELP
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • minniemaus1970
    • By minniemaus1970 7th Dec 11, 10:37 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    minniemaus1970
    • 7th Dec 11, 10:37 AM
    • 7th Dec 11, 10:37 AM
    could you please add this site to your website list, they have a few interesting recipes in alphabetical order

http://www.carrsbreadmaker.info/recipes/index.html

Thanks MM
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

710Posts Today

6,886Users online

Martin's Twitter