Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Feb 06, 3:23 PM
    • 12,446Posts
    • 78,967Thanks
    kittie
    If things get tougher?
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:23 PM
    If things get tougher? 5th Feb 06 at 3:23 PM
    The Most Destructive Habit............................................. ...........WORRY
    The Greatest Joy............................................... .............................GIVING
    The Greatest Loss.............................................. ........................LOSS of SELF RESPECT
    The Most Satisfying Work.............................................. ..........HELPING OTHERS
    The Ugliest Personality Trait............................................. .....SELFISHNESS
    The Most Endangered Natural Resource............................OUR YOUTH
    The Greatest ‘Shot in the Arm’............................................ .. ..ENCOURAGEMENT
    The Greatest Problem to Overcome........................................FE AR
    The Most Effective Sleeping Pill.............................................. PEACE of MIND
    The Most Crippling Failure Disease......................................EXCUS ES
    The Most Powerful Force of Life.............................................. LOVE
    The Most Dangerous Pariah............................................ ........A GOSSIPER
    The World's Most Incredible Computer................................THE BRAIN
    The Worst Thing to be Without........................................... ......HOPE
    The Deadliest Weapon............................................ .....................THE TONGUE
    The Two Most POWER-FILLED Words...................................‘I CAN’
    The Greatest Asset............................................. ..............................FAITH
    The Most Worthless Emotion........................................... ...........SELF-PITY
    The Most Beautiful Attire............................................ ............. ..‘A SMILE’
    The Most Prized Possession........................................ ................INTEGRITY
    The Most Powerful Channel of Communication is a...........HEART to HEART’
    The Most Contagious Spirit............................................ .............ENTHUSIASM
    The Most Important Thing in Life.............................................. LOVE
    Last edited by kittie; 11-10-2011 at 7:33 PM.
Page 1
  • Juni
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:27 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:27 PM
    Sell up and move to France. There's nothing more I am willing to do to cut back in this country.
  • Graham_S
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:30 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:30 PM
    stop drinking
    no need for it really - especially as i'm getting fit this year

Graham
    Current CC debt : 00000

Was 4900 in May 2005

now got a girlfriend and savings
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 5th Feb 06, 3:37 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:37 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:37 PM
    Work hard at getting ds toilet trained, nappies are EXPENSIVE! Also starting my own veg patch this year in which I will grow the more expensive things we buy.eg.cherry toms etc. Save money on food and get exercise as well!
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • soba
    • By soba 5th Feb 06, 3:40 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:40 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:40 PM
    I've already started to walk to work, saving 3 each way in taxi fares (no buses run where I need to go) also helping to reduce my weight and blood pressure into the bargain. It's a win-win situation!!

• kittie
    • By kittie 5th Feb 06, 3:41 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:41 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:41 PM
    Graham I just cancelled my tesco wine order. I only ordered from tesco for the points. I think half the country will be belt-tightening before the end of 2006
  • SueRob
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:42 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:42 PM
    I'd walk to work, but not get rid of the car as need it to get hubby to work. Get rid of stepson, lol! Also would get rid of internet access, though I'd miss it a lot. Don't think I could cut down on much more, when hubby is out of work, we live on 10k a year & find it a struggle.
    Sue
    Last edited by SueRob; 05-02-2006 at 3:45 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    • soba
    • By soba 5th Feb 06, 3:43 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:43 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:43 PM
    Have bought some seed from Netto (19p) aand I'm going to try growing rocket, peppers and little gem lettuce. It might not be a fantastic money-saving effort, but every little helps! Also just had cavity wall insulation, so hopefully gas bills will begin to fall now, or I guess they should stay around the current level if gas does increase massively in price as feared.

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 5th Feb 06, 3:50 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:50 PM
    • 5th Feb 06, 3:50 PM
    No matter how tough things get I could never stop drinking

I'd stop buying meat too.

I once made a chart of protein prices,ie a list of meats,fish,cheese and pulses with the cost per lb.I didn't include anything more expensive than 2 a lb.

The 3 cheapest things were;
    Value baked beans -16p a lb
    Tinned sardines - 13p a lb
    Value tuna - 12p a lb

Dried pulses came in pretty low as well.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 5th Feb 06, 3:53 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    I'm already in an extra layer of clothes and have the thermostat down by 2 c.

I've stopped smoking 12months now.

Reduced the amount of meat I buy.

Only drive my car 8 miles a week. Walk everywhere else.

Have not bought any clothes in over 6 months.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Sarahsaver
    I would drink less, although I dont drink loads but good quality wine would not disappear from the shopping list. I suppose not buy any clothes for myself for 6 months would actually be fairly easy, and the kids I only need to buy for DD because DS's clothes go to ds2, and ds1 gets a friend's hand-me-downs.
    Probably keep my chickens rather than killing them as I can get a lot more meals out of the eggs than the birds themselves
    Im on a crusade not to leave lights on, doors open etc. unnecessarily, but feel im fighting a losing battle against the kids and OH.
    I dont buy loads of meat and could not do without that so I would just stretch things, which I already do anyway, i.e. make stock with bones, save the fat off meat for cooking other things.
    I have just changed telephone suppliers, and haggled on my mobile contract, the mobile alone was cut by 15 a month need it for business. Also im in the process of getting a new mortgage, saving 100 a month. I need to as things are going to be tight otherwise.
    Spose I will walk more rather than take the bus too.
    This month I am trying to have an 'anti spending' month. Also I worked out I need to raise 700 income this month from my business to not go overdrawn. Have done well already so I only need to make another 110 this month! Lets hope its always this good.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • metherer
    • By metherer 5th Feb 06, 4:07 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    metherer
    For me it would definately be getting some loft insulation in pronto, to cut down heating needs, and getting used to wearing more layers.

My income is paltry, and as I currently live alone I can't really cut down any more. I don't have sky, don't really drink, don't smoke, so the internet (cheap deal) is my only extravagance. As I have no social life to speak of I'm not getting shut!

The only other thing I can think of is that my partner and I will have to start really using the allotment to its fullest capacity. We did poorly off it this year - forgetting to pick stuff when it was ready. Not this year..

Metherer
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Good thread!

I think like MATH, would wear extra clothes/layers to keep warm. My thermostat is on about 19-20c-dont know if this is high or not but our gas DD is already 61pm as they cocked up last year on readings and being pre-money saving, I didnt check at the time:rolleyes:

Would bulk out more meat as we've cut back alot already and eat more spuds/pasta etc. Not use my DW and hand wash everything. Already cut back on TD useage. Grow me own veg and some fruits. Have cut down on petrol as we only use if I need to get to the hospital and occasional school runs if running late. Cut to 3rd part F&T insurance.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 5th Feb 06, 4:17 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    On the Richard Hammond show a few nights ago, they had a feature about energy saving, and they actually said that using a full dishwasher was more econaomical than handwashing, as you are using less water, and less energy heating a full tank of water!!!!!
    Im going to start meal planning, been meaning to do it for a long time, but must def start, also that way im hoping that i wont be impulse buying so much (im a sucker for the special offers, that i then dont use!!!). Im also going for more layers, to save on the heating, my thermostat is on 18 at the moment, which i think is the recomended level!!!
    • ocemeer
    • By ocemeer 5th Feb 06, 4:21 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    ocemeer
    I'd get rid of the TV (sell it to make some money) saving 110, cant get away with turning down the heating any more as DH keeps finding out and turning it back up (at 18 atm) Moving house soon to a wood/coal etc heated house so only electricity to cut down on so will have to think, though lots of walks to forage for fuel sounds like fun
    ......could get rid of DH he's an expensive luxury
  • apple_mint
    We've already been trying to pull our belts in tighter since Christmas - on top of the work we've being doing over the last year since finding MSE.

Some of the things we are doing are:

* No wine this month - I'm trying to loose weight and save money (this one is hard and will stretch my will power!)
    * More vegetarian meals - thereby eaking out the meat/fish I have in the freezer
    * Trying to create meals that will stretch to extra portions for another meal or pack up's for work (usually by adding more vegetables / pulses)
    * Using stuff up from the storecupboard
    * Replacing ordinary light bulbs with energy saving bulbs (this is a long term saving plan)
    * Making sure nothing is left on standby and that I only boil enough water for my needs
    * Picking up from one of the other threads - going through the bathroom cabinet to make sure everything is used up before I buy more
    * Having a DVD night in with HM popcorn etc - instead of going out to the cinema
    * Using the library for all my reading needs instead of getting extra books off amazon
    * Going for long walks - makes me appreciate the countryside and provides exercise (hopefully enabling me not to grow any more so that I can fit into the clothes I have - and hopefully the set of size smaller ones that are still packed in my wardrobe!)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Feb 06, 4:23 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    catowen I am an impulse buyer too. I agree with you re meal planning. I have got to get my head around that one. At least the OSers already have the right mindset. The non OSers who bury their heads in the sand are going to have a heck of a shock if they suddenly have to cut back
    • metherer
    • By metherer 5th Feb 06, 4:24 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    metherer
    I wish I had a thermostat to turn down!

I have a gas (!) fire in the living room, and an oil filled radiator plugged in at the top of the stairs.

And its blinking freezing!

Metherer
    x
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
    • RacyRed
    • By RacyRed 5th Feb 06, 4:25 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 9,254 Thanks
    RacyRed
    Move out of Central London. Fed up with being a ripped off wage slave with a dreadful standard of living. Housing and transport costs are terrible, and there is literally no space to try to improve our lot ourselves. Earning 2 reasonable salaries here is still not enough to keep the wolf from the door!

My work is moblie but OH's isn't, which is why we are still in London when we would have a far better standard of living in another part of the country, or another country even! He had better look to his laurels next time I balance the books

This year I intend to do without our rented storage room. Sounds an extravagance but what I have in there is what would normally be kept in a spare room or loft, garage, garden shed etc. Some of it is treasured stuff but needs must.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    • mah_jong
    • By mah_jong 5th Feb 06, 4:29 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    mah_jong
    mmmmmm not sure what I could do. Could give up the vino too not that a weekly bottle would change things much BUT(just thought...) as I have stockpiled wine whilst on offer I dont need to give it up yet as I have a years supply!!!!

My heating is set for when I am in, I cannot wear more and turn it down as a Raynauds sufferer it matters not, how many layers I have once my fingers start getting cold I get cold! As it is I look like the michelin man!!

No car/dont smoke/ dont go outpubbing clubbing /dont eat much read meat....

do use slow cooker ,do batch and freeze. Do make do and mend. Always check out best price when things do need to be bought. Have changed suppliers in everything to get best deal......ahhhhh not sure if I can cut any more corners!!! Other than turning down heating and watch toes drop off with frostbite....:-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,667Posts Today

4,940Users online

Martin's Twitter