Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Feb 09, 10:04 AM
    • 9,258Posts
    • 22,115Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt
    • 3rd Feb 09, 10:04 AM
    Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt 3rd Feb 09 at 10:04 AM
    What's it about?

Whether you’re unemployed now, have been in the past or expect to be in the future, we’d like to tap MoneySavers’ wealth of knowledge to draw up a compendium of good MoneySaving tips for people job hunting.

Do you have a great idea for cutting the cost of travel to and from interviews? Have you found a great free CV help site? Have tips on shaving down the cost of interview clothes?

If you do then click reply below to let other MoneySavers know.

Related Daily Updated Deals Notes:

Shopping vouchers

High St Sales

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 03-02-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Fran
    • By Fran 3rd Feb 09, 11:34 AM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    • 3rd Feb 09, 11:34 AM
    • 3rd Feb 09, 11:34 AM
    When travelling to interviews you can get help with travel but you have to tell the Jobcentre in advance.

Travel to interview scheme.
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 09-02-2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 3rd Feb 09, 11:44 AM
    • 12,504 Posts
    • 8,544 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 3rd Feb 09, 11:44 AM
    • 3rd Feb 09, 11:44 AM
    Always clarify whether the employer pays interview travel expenses. If not, then as #2 says you can get them paid from the Job Centre, but only if you fill in the appropriate forms beforehand.

I have had two interviews where the employer did not pay expenses. On both of these occasions, I was advised to take a taxi from the station: pure laziness on the part of the employer. For one of these, I found that there was a useful bus service (Traveline.org.uk is good for finding public transport). For the other, the taxi ride was more than ten pounds each way! In fact I wrote and complained politely and they then made an exception and paid my expenses after all.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 3rd Feb 09, 11:46 AM
    • 12,504 Posts
    • 8,544 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 3rd Feb 09, 11:46 AM
    • 3rd Feb 09, 11:46 AM
    Use technology to keep down the costs of communication. I send applications by email rather than posting them: forms are generally available as Word documents if you ask.
  • pjvenner
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:21 AM
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:21 AM
    When travelling to interviews you can get help with travel but you have to tell the Jobcentre in advance.

Travel to interview scheme.
    Originally posted by Fran
    If you're unemployed, dependent on public transport and would struggle to meet travel expenses when starting a new job you may also be eligible for a free metrocard [value about 95] for the 1st month when starting a new job that's expected to last more than 5 weeks.

I got one last year. I don't know if there's any additional criteria or if it's a regional offer but it's definitely worth checking out next time you're down the jobcentre.
    Energy prices are rising fast so if you like my comment, thank me quickly so you can shut down your computer sooner..! And if you believe Al gore you'll be doing your bit for the planet :confused:
  • mstmale
    • 4th Feb 09, 8:51 AM
    RE Money saving whilst job hunting!
    • 4th Feb 09, 8:51 AM
    Why not tap into the massive amounts of benefits on offer. Contact Job Centre PLus. If youre claiming Job Seekers Allowance - they pay your traveling to and from interviews. They will even lend money towards a new suit. In my experience if you are genuinelly looking for a job, they will do all they can to help. You are after all entitled to these "benefits" having paid the tax all the time you have been employed.
    You can send off Cv's free at the Job Centre - They will even photo copy them for you. You can contact employers for free there - no need to phone 0845 numbers from home!!
  • fan-of-ezio
    • 4th Feb 09, 8:55 AM
    • 4th Feb 09, 8:55 AM
    Before applying for a job your not sure of try contacting the employer to ask any questions that you have....saves your time and money applying for a job you wouldn't want and their time considering a CV that may not be suitable.

If you are asked to attend an interview do the same, ring them and ask any questions you may have prior to interview. You could even ask if its possible to have a telephone interview prior to the face to face one.
    • lexa34
    • By lexa34 4th Feb 09, 11:05 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    lexa34
    • 4th Feb 09, 11:05 AM
    • 4th Feb 09, 11:05 AM
    Need to buy a new suit-best places are place like discount village in Bicester, Swindon etc... as places like Austin Reed do up to 70% off!
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • rovinia
    • 4th Feb 09, 12:05 PM
    • 4th Feb 09, 12:05 PM
    If you need a new suit for an interview - you can get a voucher from the Job Centre for up to 100 - restricted to the Burton Group - but better than nothing. This is not a loan.

Trawl the charity shops - I picked up brand new never worn M&S shirts - good quality ones, and a hardly worn Next overcoat for my DH.

I stupidly missed out on JCP paying my interview expenses, assuming the cost would be picked up by the interviewer as the interview was not in my home town. As they were holders of a JCP contract, you would think they would pay - nope, so I was quids down.
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 4th Feb 09, 2:00 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    Do you only get vouchers for suits if you are on certain benefits. I was made redundant in Dec, only entitled to JSA no other benefits as other half works. Would I be entitled to any help for items for interview, transport etc?
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget 350 - Spent 64.45 to date
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 4th Feb 09, 2:17 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    You can get free NHS eye tests and sometimes discounted glasses if you're claiming JSA
    also i think Free prescriptions and dental treatment?

Also if you need to phone lots of people (about jobs) it may be cheaper to go to the job centre and use their phone to make the calls
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    I think Sami is right, as always!
    Originally posted by 3onitsway
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 4th Feb 09, 2:23 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    Really, no one tells you this, does anyone know best place I can look/contact to see what I am entitled to.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    • Fran
    • By Fran 4th Feb 09, 2:30 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    Really, no one tells you this, does anyone know best place I can look/contact to see what I am entitled to.
    Originally posted by chocolatepennyfarthing
    You should ask at the Jobcentre. (And keep an eye on this thread of course!)
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
  • wibblewoo
    Asda Suit
    Hi - I think it was a MSE newsletter that first pointed out Asda's 'city' suits.

Ahead of an interview last week, I went to see them and ended up buying a skirt suit for 20. I was expecting cheap-looking polyester but it looks really good and comes in a good range of sizes . Still waiting to hear about the interview though!
    Last edited by wibblewoo; 04-02-2009 at 3:15 PM. Reason: poor grammar!
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 4th Feb 09, 3:16 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    Originally posted by chocolatepennyfarthing
    try here http://direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/index.htm
    besides this site obv! I found that none of the people actually in the jobcentre had upto date knowledge of who is entitled to what as it's no longer part of their remit
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    I think Sami is right, as always!
    Originally posted by 3onitsway
  • oldmotherreilly
    This is the Advisor Discretionary Fund. I believe you have to be claiming for at least six months before you are eligible and on a means tested benefit (eg Jobseekers Allowance Income based). If you are on New Deal you are eligible and a lot of advisors will tell you about this during the main interview. It is not just clothes that can be purchased under this scheme-it is designed to overcome barriers to employment so in my area we have an agreement with a local bike shop whereby we can give the customer's an invoice to purchase a bike, lock, lights, helmet etc under the scheme. This may, however, not be available in all areas, it was just something that we set up because our customers had a need for it. To try to access the fund, you need to make an appointment with a JobcentrePlus advisor, who will ultimately decide if you can access it. Due to the auditing trail, most areas issue invoices under this scheme-agreements have been made with certain shops where the advisor writes down what is needed and the maximum amount per item that can be spent and the customer takes this to the named shop; chooses the item(s) and then swaps the invoice for them.
    If you are finding the cost of looking for work a problem, the Programme Centres are excellent for this-they will help you with 'soft' jobsearching skills eg cv's; application forms etc; I believe they will also help with costs of travelling to interviews too but you would need to check this. Programme Centres run 26 week programmes that can be accessed from day one of unemployment in my area. My local one will also take customers through (ie pay for) the CSCS card. The provider's have access to a different pool of money to Jobcentres-they can access European Funds-and can often help with a lot of things that Jobcentres can't. Information about these are on the direct.gov site.
    Sorry to keep saying my area but I have only ever worked in this one and don't want to say that all are the same as I have no experience of them! Best thing is always to ask in your local (Jobcentre that is!)
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 4th Feb 09, 6:00 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    Hope you dont mind me asking but what is a cscs card. Does anyone know if I would get any help towards an ECDL/ITl course with learn direct if claiming JSA. Do not have a college locally that run course.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    • PhiltheBear
    • By PhiltheBear 4th Feb 09, 6:16 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    PhiltheBear
    if you're claiming JSA...
    also i think Free prescriptions and dental treatment?
    Originally posted by Sami_Bee
    You can - I've had both!!

Also if you need to phone lots of people (about jobs) it may be cheaper to go to the job centre and use their phone to make the calls
    Trouble is it costs me 4.60 to get to my Jobcentre!

The other big 'saving' is to hang on until you are 60 - your JSA weekly allowance more than doubles!
  • oldmotherreilly
    A CSCS card is issued after taking a test in health and safety for those in the construction trade. If you have a LearnDirect Centre near you, your Jobcentre may have links with it which could mean you can access the course for free. Other than this, ask at your Jobcentre if any of your local providers are running any ESF programmes, as you can take the ECDL under this, once again I believe from day one of unemployment. If your Jobcentre doesn't know, ask them who your providers are and contact them directly.
  • tallym
    oldmotherreilly is mostly correct about the Advisor Discretionary Fund, but it is available at ALL Jobcentres across GB, to people who are on one of the New Deal schemes, or who have been in receipt of Jobseekers' Allowance for 6 months or more (contribution based or income based, continuously, with no gaps). The word to bear in mind is 'discretionary', so there is no entitlement to it, it is at the discretion of the adviser.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,293Posts Today

7,633Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin