Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 26th Jan 09, 3:14 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 26th Jan 09, 3:14 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 3:14 PM
    caustic soda will only work if the drain is not completely blocked, it needs to flow thro it for it to work
  • Suzy M
    • 26th Jan 09, 3:39 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 3:39 PM
    I tried the environmentally friendly way but after lots of huffin' and puffin' with all the methods you have tried used Mr Muscle sink and drain unblocker. Poured a whole litre down in one go and it worked very thoroughly and very quickly.

If you shop around there's still lots of 100% free bottles around.
  • rainy233
    • 26th Jan 09, 4:30 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 4:30 PM
    just went hardware shop got a bottle of one shot was nearly 7 and he said best thing but still no luck! Any one used this and if so how?
    • bigdic
    • By bigdic 26th Jan 09, 4:32 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    bigdic
    • 26th Jan 09, 4:32 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 4:32 PM
    You could try one of these:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/walk.yah.UKGD~U085

It works by blasting copmmpressed air down the drain and either breaking up the blockage or moving it to a wider part of the drain where it can flow away.

I inherited one of these a good few years ago and it's never failed to unblock a drain, it must have saved me a lot of time and trouble over the years. Just remember that if you use it you have to cover the overflow or you'll get a facefull of drain water (not pleasant I can tell you ).
  • Suzy M
    • 26th Jan 09, 8:07 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 8:07 PM
    As you've now put potent chemicals down you're now restricted to using
    water and wire only until it can be flushed through. - And put some goggles on.

Flush through the other waste pipes on the same network with copious amounts of hot water. - A blockage may be building up at a junction.

Put scalding water in the blocked sink and leave overnight to dilute the chemicals.

If the pipe outlet is exposed try fishing up the pipe with the curtain wire.

Once the hot water has gone through - or you've baled it out can you get at the sink trap underneath.
    • furndire
    • By furndire 26th Jan 09, 8:24 PM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 31,470 Thanks
    furndire
    • 26th Jan 09, 8:24 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 8:24 PM
    Our drains were blocked in a shop we had a few years ago. I put caustic soda down a few times, and then they completely blocked!!!!!!!! Was told by the man who cleared them not to use it unless you can thoroughly flush through with very hot water, as caustic soda sets solid with cold water.
  • TimBuckTeeth
    • 26th Jan 09, 10:34 PM
    • 26th Jan 09, 10:34 PM
    As previously mentioned, do not mix chemical drain cleaners, they can produce harmful fumes.
    If a drain pipe is completely blocked then using chemicals make the job hazardous for a plumber called later.
    The best way to clear a blocked sink pipe is by removing the U-bend and physically cleaning the pipe.
    Caustic soda is powerful stuff, it can cause chemical burns, it should be treated with care - mixed according to the instructions wearing gloves and goggles. I would only use it for outside drains.
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 27th Jan 09, 12:44 AM
    • 1,955 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    richardc1983
    • 27th Jan 09, 12:44 AM
    • 27th Jan 09, 12:44 AM
    Easiest thing we have used, requires no chemicals was to take the waste trap off the sink so you had the main pipe underneath and we borrowed a wet and dry vac, like a vax. We then put the suction pipe of the vacuum over the waste pipe and this cleared the blockage instantly clearing anything in the pipe. Was fanstastic, best way to clear the blockage as your actually removing it from the pipe rather than putting harsh chemicals down and risking pushing blockage further down!
    • elliep
    • By elliep 16th Mar 09, 7:56 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    elliep
    For those situations where you can't get at the trap under the drain what is best to use?
    Our shower is blocked. I know it's only hair (our lodger refuses to clear his long hair from the drain and has a shower at least once every day).

I cant get at the workings of it to unscrew anything. I've read the threads on caustic soda and it sounds good if handled safely. Is that the best thing to use or am I better off with something else?

The drain is still draining, Just slower than it ought to be. After a few min in the shower I'm standing in a puddle but it does all drain by the time I've been out for a minute or two.
    Last edited by elliep; 16-03-2009 at 8:25 AM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Mar 09, 8:02 AM
    • 34,331 Posts
    • 40,429 Thanks
    Browntoa
    imac does hair
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • elliep
    • By elliep 16th Mar 09, 8:11 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    elliep
    But imac just turns hair to jelly, which will still be blocking my drain even if differently to now wont it?
    I was thinking more caustic soda or mr muscle sink and drain unblocker or some other magic product you lovely people might be able to reccoment but I admit Im more than a bit sceptical about using imac in the drain (you mean the leg hair remover stuff?) and Id have to go buy it anyway because I dont use it.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 16th Mar 09, 10:02 AM
    • 4,128 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    For hair in the shower drain, the first thing to try is to remove the little grill from the top of the plug, then have a fish around with a bit of wire with a little hook bent into the end of it - easy to make with an old wire coathanger and a pair of pliers. Zero cost and no nasty chemicals involved, and very effective if you manage to pull out the lumps of hair ( a bit yukky, though very satisfying ! ) The best way is to remove the u-bend, but that's usually not easy to get to in a shower.

Also, if you have access to a wet & dry vac, then just try sucking up the hair from the plughole - sometimes works, particularly if you can manage to get a reasonably good seal over the plughole with the hose of the vac.

If all else fails, caustic soda is good and pretty cheap ( especially if you can buy plain caustic soda from a chemist rather than some overpriced branded stuff ). But PLEASE BE CAREFUL - it really is very potent stuff, will hurt like hell if you splash it on your skin, and it doesn't bear thinking about getting it into your eyes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,492Posts Today

8,405Users online

Martin's Twitter