Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 29th Jan 06, 9:36 PM
    • 10,561Posts
    • 15,223Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Cauliflower cheese, anyone?
    • 29th Jan 06, 9:36 PM
    Cauliflower cheese, anyone? 29th Jan 06 at 9:36 PM
    MBE has been cooking.

I'm not very good at judging quantities, and as a result I have enough cauliflower cheese to feed 6 large hungry rugby players.

I have eaten enough for two of them <burp>, and will put a portion in the fridge for tomorrow, but what am I going to do with the rest? Will it freeze? It's got broccoli and pasta and bacon in (this is the king of cauliflower cheeses ) if that makes any difference. Oh yeah, and I used Mexicana cheese (the one with the chillis in) for a bit of extra pep. The sauce is a bit on the runny side, if I'm honest, but the taste is to die for.

Oh yeah, while I think about it, can flour go off? The flour in my cupboard (new & unopened) was BBE Sept '04. I don't cook very often.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
Page 1
  • Jay-Jay
    • 29th Jan 06, 9:42 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 9:42 PM
    I find that cauli gets very waterlogged when frozen and you need to re-heat it and stir.... which breaks up the cauli so if you don't mind it going soggy and mushy then go for it I freeze it for my toddler so she doesn't mind... then again neither does my hubby so......

Flour can get weevils in it... have a close look, is it moving? If not then you'll probably be ok.... probably!!!!!
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 29th Jan 06, 9:48 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    • 29th Jan 06, 9:48 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 9:48 PM
    I find that cauli gets very waterlogged when frozen and you need to re-heat it and stir.... which breaks up the cauli so if you don't mind it going soggy and mushy then go for it I freeze it for my toddler so she doesn't mind... then again neither does my hubby so......

Flour can get weevils in it... have a close look, is it moving? If not then you'll probably be ok.... probably!!!!!
    by Jay-Jay
    Oh gawd, I'm gonna end up with cauliflower cheese soup.
    What a waste....someone run round now while it's still warm! Free grub!

The flour was moving a little, but it was the lesser of two weevils, so I used it anyway.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Mrsbojangles
    • 29th Jan 06, 9:51 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 9:51 PM
    Would love the recipe MBE, don't worry about the qauntites i'll adjust!
    February Grocery Challenge 250.00

Spend so far 230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • Jay-Jay
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:10 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:10 PM
    mmmmmmm.... I had cauliflower soup once and it was delish

No, someone will come on tomorrow and give you some more advice, all may not be lost

in the meantime..... keep eating the cauli cheese .... or you could post it to me

• mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 29th Jan 06, 10:20 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:20 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:20 PM
    Ok, one recipe, bloke style:

Chuck some butter in a pan, probably a couple of ounces or so.
    Add a chopped onion (or two if you have no idea what you're doing).
    Add chopped up streaky bacon, but not all of it coz you need to save a bit for the top.
    Fry it up for a bit, until the onions are soft and the bacon's cooked.
    At some point guess when to put some pasta (I like that tricolour fusilli coz it's different colours) and some broccoli and cauliflower on.
    Add BBE Sept '04 flour to the frying things, and it will get thick and sticky. Try not to burn it at this point.
    Add some milk, bit by bit until it goes sort of gloopy.
    Put in grated Mexicana cheese (available from Morrisons at least) until it goes nice and thick again. Not all of it though because you need a bit for the top.
    Let the sauce simmer very gently until the pasta and cauliflower and broccoli are al dente. (That means a bit 'ard in t'middle).
    Get a really big ovenproof dish of some description.
    Turn the grill on.
    Put the broccoli, pasta and cauliflower into the ovenproof dish.
    Pour over the cheese sauce.
    Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese onto the top.
    Cut the remaining rashers of bacon in half and put them on top too.
    Whack it under the grill.
    Keep your eye on it, and take it out when the bacon's done and it's nice and brown on top.

Hey presto:

And that's just the leftovers.
    Last edited by mrbadexample; 29-01-2006 at 10:23 PM.
  • Mrsbojangles
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:29 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:29 PM
    LOL Thanks MBE, looks yummie!
    February Grocery Challenge 250.00

Spend so far 230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • Jay-Jay
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:33 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:33 PM
    oooooh MBE!!!! That looks delish!!! Well done!

May give that a go

So are you going to buy a pinny and start joining in on the 'What can I do with a tanker full of vinegar?' threads?

• mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 29th Jan 06, 10:38 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:38 PM
    • 29th Jan 06, 10:38 PM
    oooooh MBE!!!! That looks delish!!! Well done!

May give that a go

So are you going to buy a pinny and start joining in on the 'What can I do with a tanker full of vinegar?' threads?

by Jay-Jay
    You think it looks good? You should taste it. My favourite cousin Helen taught me how to do it. (Cheers Hel ) It only took me about 5 goes to get the hang of it. It is the only dish I can actually cook from scratch. My other dish is the obligatory chilli, but I cheat and use a bought sauce for that.

And no plans on buying a pinny. I'm looking for a lass that can cook though.
    • RacyRed
    • By RacyRed 29th Jan 06, 10:39 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 9,254 Thanks
    RacyRed
    WOW!

That looks seriously edible MBE..... Are you married?
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 29th Jan 06, 10:40 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    I loved that MBE, pefect example of a blokie recipe, I understood every bit of it - Well done.

Nota Bene: For the Girls

Some
    A bit of
    A slack handfull
    Loads
    Pile it on
    Careful with the tabasco!

Are legitimate recipe amounts!
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 29th Jan 06, 10:40 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Oh yeah, if you must, you can leave the bacon out for the flippin' veggies. :rolleyes:
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 29th Jan 06, 10:46 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    WOW!

That looks seriously edible MBE..... Are you married?
    by RacyRed
    As it happens, no. I am very available.

And is that your second best sweater you're looking for?
  • Jay-Jay
    Right... so about the freezing malarkey...... As it's pasta, cauli and broccoli you'll have a combination of problems.....

Pasta sucks up all the sauce so it becomes dry but cauli gets waterlogged so it becomes watery, broccoli breaks up like cauli and the bacon will go 'flacid' on the top

If I was going to freeze it I would do so in the dish (if it's a freezeable dish) then defrost before you want to use it and cook it in the oven for 30-40 mins. It gives it the best chance of heating through but still retaining the shape of all the various ingredients.

It won't taste quite the same but it'll probably still taste alright.

I'm starvin now

• RacyRed
    • By RacyRed 29th Jan 06, 11:06 PM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 9,254 Thanks
    RacyRed
    As it happens, no. I am very available.

And is that your second best sweater you're looking for?
    by mrbadexample
    Yes!! Have you seen it?

I'm looking for a lass that can cook though.
    by mrbadexample
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 29th Jan 06, 11:20 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Yes!! Have you seen it?
    by RacyRed
    Me? No, sorry.

And the cooking is negotiable.
    • bethom
    • By bethom 30th Jan 06, 12:31 AM
    • 16,152 Posts
    • 6,667 Thanks
    bethom
    I will be within about 15 mins of your house tomorrow, get warming I'll be there at tea time.
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok as everyone knows me here
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 30th Jan 06, 9:56 AM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    That looks lovely, never put bacon in my cauli cheese before. I have frozen portions before, if it does go a little mushy, i just add a little more cauliflower to it, still tastes lovely that way.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 30th Jan 06, 3:10 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Ok, that one's in the freezer - I'm having the remainder of the other one (I did say there was a lot!) for me tea.

So, when I come to use it, defrost thoroughly I guess, but what oven temperature am I looking for, and how long will it take? :confused:
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 30th Jan 06, 3:51 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    I would recommend 180oc for a fan oven and 200oc for a conventional oven until it's bubbling. If you have a cooking thermometer it should be above 75oc for reheating. Approx 20 - 30 minutes should do the trick.

Hope that sorts you out
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

359Posts Today

5,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin