Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 23rd Jan 06, 12:59 PM
    • 12,446Posts
    • 78,967Thanks
    kittie
    AIRING CUPBOARD how do you organise
    • 23rd Jan 06, 12:59 PM
    AIRING CUPBOARD how do you organise 23rd Jan 06 at 12:59 PM
    I have just pulled everything out of my airing cupboard and I have an enormous heap on the lounge floor. I don`t have a tank in there and I have two slatted shelves and a half-depth slatted shelf. I don`t know where to start. It is an excellent storage facility but has turned into a glory hole. Arghhh!! How do you organise yours?
Page 1
  • manicdays
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:00 PM
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:00 PM
    I shall be following this with intrest as my airing cupboard has to stay shut cos when the door is opened you get attacked by duvets covers & towels!!!

Lisa
    MoneyBox savings 30.37 (10/05/06)
    Now at................54.50(07/06/06)

Bank account RBS in the black

Bank account Lloyds in the RED
    • sarahlouise210
    • By sarahlouise210 23rd Jan 06, 1:02 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    sarahlouise210
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:02 PM
    No airing cupbourd in my house !! Just piles and piles of ironing everywhere...argghh
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 23rd Jan 06, 1:02 PM
    • 20,451 Posts
    • 34,039 Thanks
    Spendless
    I find rolling towels means they take up less space.

HTH
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 23rd Jan 06, 1:06 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:06 PM
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:06 PM
    I'm afraid I can't be much help here, my laundry attacks me every time I open the door

I shall be watching this thread with interest!!
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 68 (only 22 to go )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 37 (only 43 to go )
    Grocery Challenge October 750
    • sarahlouise210
    • By sarahlouise210 23rd Jan 06, 1:11 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    sarahlouise210
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:11 PM
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:11 PM
    I'm afraid I can't be much help here, my laundry attacks me every time I open the door

I shall be watching this thread with interest!!
    by stressedoutmumof1
    wait until you are a stressedoutmumof2 !!!!! It amazes me just how much washing and dreaded ironing they create!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes
    • kittie
    • By kittie 23rd Jan 06, 1:14 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:14 PM
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:14 PM
    No answers yet!! I suspect that most of us have the same type of mess in the airing cupboard

Rolling towels seems a good idea. Never thought of that. I might even make some large elastic bands to keep them rolled
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 23rd Jan 06, 1:17 PM
    • 20,451 Posts
    • 34,039 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:17 PM
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:17 PM
    Not used elastic bands on mine. They just remain rolled.

Another tip I've read but not put into practise is to put all the matching stuff inside the quilt cover, eg the pillowcases,valance etc, so when you are changing the bedding you know its all together inside one duvet cover.
    • ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 23rd Jan 06, 1:30 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:30 PM
    • 23rd Jan 06, 1:30 PM
    Matching stuff inside the quilt cover - what a brilliant idea i am going to do that one
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 23rd Jan 06, 1:31 PM
    • 10,161 Posts
    • 16,593 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I keep the spare towels in a wardrobe in the spare bedroom, except for the set that we use every alternate week. The top racks that I have to stand on a chair to reach are stuffed with spare pillows and bathmats that we don't use any more as they are the wrong colour. I also keep spare bedding in an ottoman on the landing, as I like my airing cupboard to be fairly uncluttered.

We bought extra wooden slats so I now have about 12 available for hanging clothes over to dry. I use the bottom level front slat for drying stuff on hangers. The hot water tank is in there so things dry quite quickly.

It is my favourite room in the house - I couldn't manage without it.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• kittie
    • By kittie 23rd Jan 06, 1:33 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    I have put two things back. So pathetic and I`m being so slow

I tried using those vaccuum bags in the past from qvc but they have all expanded and made the situation worse with things on top sliding off. I think I`ll do the 3 piles thing, like with clothes. One to definitely keep, one maybe and 1 to go out. We have a community shop near here so I can recycle some items.

OMG this is decluttering with a vengance. This was always out of sight, out of mind
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 23rd Jan 06, 1:37 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I don't think it matters what you do in an airing cupboard. Somewhere along the line, the airing cupboard monster gets in there and creates mayhem

In my last house, we had the single cupboard with the immersion heater type airing cupboard. I had 2 shelves and it contained all my towels and bedding as well as loo rolls etc. In this house, my airing cupboard doesn't contain the immersion - I now have 2 full sized and 3 top-cupboard airing cupboards. I have found that the number of towels/bedding grows at the rate your airing cupboard expands.

I have also found that joining MSE is bad for your airing cupboard. I now have boxes of original source products (free with mag subscription) lots of Boots mouthwash and pany liners, as well as baby wipes - bought in such quantities to make best use of points offers. I buy loo rolls in bulk - I could tender for the contract to supply the local army barracks with the number of rolls in this house

On the other hand, if I could actually bring myself to throw out the old towels - with the holes and the frayed edges, I'd be in a much better position. but I end up thinking - there's still plenty of life in them or they'd be good for using in the garden in the summer......

oh dear - I have my first delivery from Littlewoods online this thurday.........made great use of codes and someone's tips on here.........I'm getting lots and lots of new..
    towels
  • MrsB
    Mine used to be a complete and total nightmare too. In the end I emptied everything out, and now keep bedding in an ottoman on the landing, and only keep towels in the airing cupboard.

We've got the hot water tank in there and it takes up most of the cupboard, so we're left with 2 shelves above it. I put all the bath sheets on the top shelf, and all the bath towels (ie regular sized) on the bottom shelf, with hand towels in front of them. Means everything fits in quite easily, just grab the top towel when you need it (sorry - dont do specific towels for specific rooms in this house!), and it's easy enough to put stuff away too. Unless DH does it of course!!
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are Milton Berle
    • Philippa36
    • By Philippa36 23rd Jan 06, 1:41 PM
    • 5,862 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    Philippa36
    Another tip I've read but not put into practise is to put all the matching stuff inside the quilt cover, eg the pillowcases,valance etc, so when you are changing the bedding you know its all together inside one duvet cover.
    ~ I will definitely try this, thanks for the tip

I thought the large airing cupboard was a bonus when we bought our house. Now, though, I can't open the door for towels, sheets, old curtains etc. falling out. I know I should clear it out, but I never seem to have the time or the energy I can't reach the top, even standing on a stool, I just tend to throw it up and over and hope it stays there! On the floor I store all the weeks ironing.

One of these days I will get organised. I did manage to put up hooks for flannels and hand towels, so at least they are easily found.

Maybe I should concentrate on it this weekend - I am sure my local charity shop will be thrilled!
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    Kurt Vonnegut
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 23rd Jan 06, 1:45 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    I keep all my spare quilts and covers on the bottom, in matching piles (although i think i will now put them in the quilts, very good idea!!!) and any towels/odd bits that arnt used very often on the bottom also. On the shelf i keep all the towels/flannels etc that i use regularly so that i can reach in and grab them easily, and if i have anything to air, i fit it in where i can!!!! idealy i would keep it like this all the time, but as most people, it doesnt always stay that way!!!
    Catherine x
  • Noozan
    We have the hot water tank in our airing cupboard and two full slatted shelves above it.

On the floor of the cupboard lives my sewing machine and all sewing related paraphernalia. On the first shelf, on the left are all my towels. The towels are rolled up and then stacked, with the bath sheets at the back, then bath towels, hair towels, hand towels and flannels. I insist on the towels being folded into half or third (whichever is neater) before rolling with the seam on the inside of rolls. :rolleyes: They are then grouped into colours... On the right hand side of that shelf are stacked toilet rolls.

On the top shelf, to the left are rolled up spare duvets and pillows. On the right is all the spare bedding, I usually fold a sheet, duvet cover and pillow case and then put it inside the second pillowcase (for double bed sets) so everything is together for a bed change. Needless to say, these also have to be in colour order....I need help!!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • se999
    • By se999 23rd Jan 06, 2:05 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    We got rid of the airing cupboards in the last two houses, we needed the room in the bathrooms and swapped to a combi boiler.

Towels all went on open shelving in the bathroom, in organised piles.

Duvets & pillows went straight to the appropriate bedroom, being kept in the top draw of the units there. So there wasn't the problem of trying to find the double sheet in the pile of singles, or vice versa.

We did find when we attacked the airing cupboards that we tended to have 'unused' things at the bottom of the pile that were never used or got pushed into corners. This way we've cut back and have all the in use things accessible, except for a few new bed sets/towels (bought cut price) for when replacements were needed.

Even bedding for the bedsettee in living room was kept in a drawer in the unit there.
    • Zed42
    • By Zed42 23rd Jan 06, 2:14 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    Zed42
    A-hem, each shelf has a label stuck to it, as I got fed up with DH claiming he did not know where things went, there is also a diagram stuck to the inside of the airing cupboard door with a shelf layout ... oh dear, this does sound a little retentive doesn't it!

Bath towels, top left
    Hand towels, top right
    Super Kingsize duvets, middle left
    Pillowcases, middle right
    Bath and pedestal mats, bottom right
    Sheets, bottom left

Toiletries not yet in use or rarely used in stacking box at bottom of airing cupboard.

Single sheets & duvet covers in DD's room in her wardrobe, bottom shelf
    Kingsize sheets and duvet covers in spare room in chest of drawers
    Works for us! LOL.
  • Lyndsay_21
    i tidied mine out yesterday, i too have a hotwater tank in mine so have 2 shelves above it... on the top shelf i put the kids duvet cover, blankets and sheets then on bottom shelf i have our bed sheets and pillowcases in a pile then a pile of towel then next to that the pile of duvet covers for our bed....

must admit i went through it yesterday and sorted out loads of unused baby blankets and a pair of winnie the pooh curtains and took them down the health visitors clinic and gave them to them to see if someone else could make use of them.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 23rd Jan 06, 2:19 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    You know I said I really needed a clear out as I was expecting some more towels ?..

Well, about 10 mins ago, a man appeared at my door clutching a towel bale That's 3/4 of it delivered now. Last set to be delivered soon. I kave a feeling I know what I will be doing tonight, while Mr TM is watching e'enders
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

2,971Users online

Martin's Twitter