Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Page 1
    • Becles
    • By Becles 7th Jan 09, 6:42 PM
    • 12,861 Posts
    • 26,127 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Jan 09, 6:42 PM
    • #2
    • 7th Jan 09, 6:42 PM
    You might be able to get help with costs from the Open University.

    Pop your details into the calculators on this page:
    and it'll tell you what you are entitled to depending on your household income and any dependants.

    Do check out the qualification you will get from home study colleges. Some are not worth the paper they are written on compared to courses you can study at a tradtional college or university. Also check out your local colleges as they may offer free/low cost courses to people on JSA.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 7th Jan 09, 7:16 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 6,050 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Jan 09, 7:16 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Jan 09, 7:16 PM
    All the training companies you have named are commercial organisations. Unless they are offering training which is not available elsewhere (that is in the public sector), then I do not see that the taxpayer should be paying them on your behalf.

    If they are offering training for worthwhile qualifications (that is fully recognised national qualifications rather than their own bits of paper), then learning opportunities should be available in the public arena - like local colleges and local authority adult education service. These courses are usually offered at some sort of discount to people who are on means tested benefits - but not always on contribution based JSA.
  • robredz
    • #4
    • 7th Jan 09, 8:29 PM
    • #4
    • 7th Jan 09, 8:29 PM
    A lot of these firms want fees and usually stress that the study fits round your existing work commitments, a lot of the become a driving instructor and IT certification courses follow this format, and usually Jobcentres cannot help with fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

1,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin