Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 248
    • Shakeyatictacs
    • By Shakeyatictacs 21st Nov 19, 1:42 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shakeyatictacs
    Just an update, I called Tescos again and offered to pay them instalments thru my DMP, surprise surprise they said it may have just been written off OR that I could start to make payments to them because my debt may not have been sold just yet. I said I would get my debt charity to write to them with my payment plans. Im now off to pay my 90... fingers crossed and, once again, many thanks for the advice.
    • Robbie64
    • By Robbie64 30th Dec 19, 10:19 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Robbie64
    Yes, the default dates should be the date of the DRO or earlier.

You can ask them to amend this.
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Hi fatbelly. I'm just asking for some further advice about my original question which you answered above

My question relates to defaults and default dates. I know it's early days yet and my DRO still has another 10+ months to run. None of the accounts I have for non-priority debts, all of which were included in my DRO, had defaulted when I was granted a DRO. Three have now defaulted but all on various dates and three are still showing as late payments though all should have defaulted by the end of the year.

Will the default dates still apply going forward from when my DRO ends or would I be able to get the default dates changed to when my DRO was granted or is that not how it works? As I posted above, at the moment I'm not long into my DRO so don't need to be chasing up any creditors to have information to be corrected if the dates do need changing but it's something for me to keep an eye on.
    I decided to wait until all my accounts had defaulted and Christmas and New Year were out of the way before getting the dates changed. All my accounts are now showing as defaulted, the last one only having done so three weeks ago and with a default date of 30/11/19 (my DRO was granted on 25/09/19).

After the New Year I am going to start contacting the creditors who have recorded a default date after the DRO. For each creditor who should I contact (i.e should it be the same department I was in contact with when keeping each creditor informed of things prior to my DRO being granted) and what should I say? Or would it be better to put it in writing? Debtcamel.co.uk suggest putting it in writing (see scenario 1 at the section headed "Correcting problems" at https://debtcamel.co.uk/repair-credit-record-dro/ ). Would you suggest following this advice? I have four different creditors that I need to contact and wonder if writing or phoning would be a better option.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Robbie64; 30-12-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 30th Dec 19, 10:27 PM
    • 14,582 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Robbie - it's always best to do it in writing.

You have found a good guide on Debt Camel's site though I'm not sure a couple of months late for the default is going to cause you any major problem in 6 years time.
    • Robbie64
    • By Robbie64 2nd Jan 20, 12:09 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Robbie64
    Thanks. I'll use the template letter on the Debt Camel website.
    • itellyawhut
    • By itellyawhut 5th Jan 20, 2:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    itellyawhut
    Hi all

I'm looking for some info on my DRO which was granted in Nov '19. I've tried to do a search a couple of time but can't quite find the info I'm looking for so apologies if my posting of this question is a common one.

I just wanted to know what is the process during this next 12 months, will I be audited or be checked up on?

I'm just worried that somehow my records won't match or something will come up that will mean I lose the DRO.

I know I have to let the official receiver know about any changes but I mean for instance if I spent 20 in McDonald's and it's not matching what I've said in my paperwork will that be something I will lose the DRO over?

I'm a bit of a catastrophiser especially with this as it was such an ordeal to get here I don't want anything to ruin it!

Thanks for reading
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 5th Jan 20, 2:27 PM
    • 14,582 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Hi all

I'm looking for some info on my DRO which was granted in Nov '19. I've tried to do a search a couple of time but can't quite find the info I'm looking for so apologies if my posting of this question is a common one.

I just wanted to know what is the process during this next 12 months, will I be audited or be checked up on?

I'm just worried that somehow my records won't match or something will come up that will mean I lose the DRO.

I know I have to let the official receiver know about any changes but I mean for instance if I spent 20 in McDonald's and it's not matching what I've said in my paperwork will that be something I will lose the DRO over?

I'm a bit of a catastrophiser especially with this as it was such an ordeal to get here I don't want anything to ruin it!

Thanks for reading
    Originally posted by itellyawhut
    Really you are worrying unnecessarily

There are no routine checks. It is your responsibility to inform them of changes of circumstance
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Jan 20, 2:35 PM
    • 19,111 Posts
    • 18,041 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi all

Thanks for reading
    Originally posted by itellyawhut

Just to add to what Fatbelly has posted, you won`t hear from the IS again, the time will just tick away, and that will be that, there are no checks, no audits, no nothing, only if your circumstances change significantly enough so that you no longer qualify for a DRO, would you have any further official contact, and then, as stated above, you have to inform them of any changes.

So relax, your job is done, after 12 months your debts are all written off, and you will be debt free.

Then comes the credit file clean up, but thats for later down the line.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 05-01-2020 at 2:40 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • Billy12345
    • By Billy12345 14th Jan 20, 2:17 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Billy12345
    Quick question

My wife's DRO ended in August last year. We are looking to rebuild her credit file and applied for an Ocean Credit Card with a low limit to start off, just something for the petrol really and pay off in full every month. However when this came through we noticed it was part of Capital One. Cap One was one of the creditors on the original DRO. Are we allowed credit with this company when the DRO only ended last year and can they seek re-imbursement of the original DRO amount if we take out this new credit card ?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Jan 20, 6:49 PM
    • 14,582 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Quick question

My wife's DRO ended in August last year. We are looking to rebuild her credit file and applied for an Ocean Credit Card with a low limit to start off, just something for the petrol really and pay off in full every month. However when this came through we noticed it was part of Capital One. Cap One was one of the creditors on the original DRO. Are we allowed credit with this company when the DRO only ended last year and can they seek re-imbursement of the original DRO amount if we take out this new credit card ?
    Originally posted by Billy12345
    Whether to give you credit is now a commercial decision by the provider. They obviously think they can make money out of you. Prove them wrong!

They have no redress against the earlier debt - that account is finished now.
    • TRX808
    • By TRX808 16th Jan 20, 1:12 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TRX808
    Hi wonderful people, Just a quick question
    So I have been recommended DRO via Stepchange and just requested my application pack today, Should I already contact all the creditors to ask for "Breathing Space"? if so, is there sort of template for the letter or Do i just say I have had advise from stepchange etc... and I assume Email would be best way of contact as I would have proof?

P.s. something to consider is that I have not (not yet) missed any payments on any of the credits

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TRX808; 16-01-2020 at 1:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,246Users online

Martin's Twitter