Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 25th Mar 05, 3:44 PM
    • 5,482Posts
    • 3,081Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Using up fresh fruit
    • 25th Mar 05, 3:44 PM
    Using up fresh fruit 25th Mar 05 at 3:44 PM
    I don't think there's a thread anywhere that discusses different ideas and uses for fresh fruit, so apologies if there is and I missed it, but I thought I'd start one as I'm looking for some tips anyway

I've just had a rummage through the fruit bowl to dig out the older stuff and I've found half a dozen yellow plums, a kiwi, 2 large mangoes and half a dozen small bananas that will need throwing if not used today or tomorrow

It was only after reading on another thread about not keeping bananas with other fruit that prompted me to sort them out and I'm glad I did!

I'm thinking of maybe making a salsa with the mangoes, and could use some of the bananas in a smoothie and a banana bread, but I haven't a clue what to do with the plums. Does anyone have any ideas please? :confused:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 30-12-2009 at 8:00 PM.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

Page 1
    • moggins
    • By moggins 25th Mar 05, 3:47 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 25th Mar 05, 3:47 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 3:47 PM
    One very small pot of Jam?

Actually they are very nice destoned and stewed with a little sugar and some custard.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • Noozan
    • 25th Mar 05, 3:52 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 3:52 PM
    How about stewing the plums and then making into a plum fool? Or a crumble? We like fruit kebabs in the summer after a BBQ, but you could do them undera grill. Just skewer chunks of fruit, brush with a drop of honey and caramelise under grill. Ooh, just remembered, I have a new kitchen toy...a blow torch, might go and incinerate some fruit later.

Bananas - split skin, slice a Mars Bar into it, wrap in foil and bake. Nice and fattening and full of sugar and all things not nice to know but lovely to eat. Yum, we love these in oir house.

Potato and apple rostis are nice and go well with chops. Just grate apple, toss in a little lemon juice. Grate potatoes. Squeeze out excess moisture. Combine and make into little patties and cook.

I also often slice some oranges or apples into salads for a bit of sweetness.

I love smoothies! I've got loads of soft fruit in the garden this year, it's the first time I've tried fruit so I'm hoping for a good harvest later on.

Mango salsa sounds nice too. Sometimes I chop mango or pineapple into a curry. Steamed mango pudding. Mango jelly pudding. Mango sorbet. Ooh, can you tell that I love mangoes?!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 25th Mar 05, 4:15 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 25th Mar 05, 4:15 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 4:15 PM
    Mango salsa sounds nice too. Sometimes I chop mango or pineapple into a curry. Steamed mango pudding. Mango jelly pudding. Mango sorbet. Ooh, can you tell that I love mangoes?!
    by Noozan

LOL! Funnily enough it was my sis-in-law from HK that introduced me to mangoes some years back and I love 'em now too!

I've just made the salsa and I think I put a drop too much tabasco in it cos it's h-h-h-hot!!!!

Some excellent ideas re the plums so will get stewing them
    ~

• Noozan
    • 25th Mar 05, 4:24 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 4:24 PM
    LOL! Funnily enough it was my sis-in-law from HK that introduced me to mangoes some years back and I love 'em now too!

I've just made the salsa and I think I put a drop too much tabasco in it cos it's h-h-h-hot!!!!
    by Curry_Queen
    Glad to hear you're a convert! My OH doesn't like them but it's ok, it means more for me. I'm not very keen on the supermarket mangoes as they're never ripe enough or sweet enough, my favourite is the yellow elongated ones, which I think are imported from Pakistan. Roll on Summer mango season

Have you ever tried to grow a plant from the stone? I have a plant that's about 2 years old now, it's unlikely to ever fruit in this climate but it has lovely glossy foilage.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 25th Mar 05, 5:19 PM
    • 10,159 Posts
    • 16,590 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 25th Mar 05, 5:19 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 5:19 PM
    How about a nice big bowl of fresh fruit salad, keep in the fridge and dip into it over the Easter hols instead of puddings?

Make some syrup with a bit of sugar and water, and add lemon juice to keep the fruit from deteriorating. Serve with icecream (get a 99p block and slice up as required, if you haven't got a tub). Yum yum.

(Edited because the damn paragraph closed up again )
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 25th Mar 05, 6:00 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 25th Mar 05, 6:00 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 6:00 PM
    I did think about a fruit salad but the bananas are a bit past it for slicing and only fit for mushing up into something

I'd been meaning to try out the mango salsa for ages so have already made that and will have some for lunch tomorrow with a piece of salmon I found lurking in the freezer. I've already got leftover chilli in the fridge for tea tonight otherwise I'd have eaten it tonight (did say elsewhere that I'd been living on scraps and left overs while son is away)

The plums are currently stewing nicely in some red wine and spices and they smell divine! ... can't wait to try them!

I can't believe that before the days of MSE I'd have just chucked the lot in the bin and bought more

Still got a bowl full of apples and pears left, but they've got plenty of life left in them yet and I'm not buying anymore fruit till they're eaten LOL!

Thanks for all the suggestions thought, they're great
    ~

• Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 25th Mar 05, 8:38 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 25th Mar 05, 8:38 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 8:38 PM
    Ooooh, what exactly are the plums in? I have a large pan of those black plums (reduced in Tesco's) sitting on the hob. Have been simmered with soft brown sugar because they weren't sweet at all and I did think about adding something like fresh ginger. I was intending to make lots of smaller crumbles and freezing them.

As for bananas, no-one in this house likes them too ripe - I like them still a bit green and hard. I therefore have 4 peeled and in cling film in the freezer, waiting until I do something with them. Pre-MSE they would have either gone to my dad or in the bin.

PS told you me and C_Q were sisters - see, we have the same thing on the go AGAIN
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 25th Mar 05, 8:44 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 25th Mar 05, 8:44 PM
    • 25th Mar 05, 8:44 PM
    I don't believe it!!!! LOL!

I put dark brown sugar, ginger, cinammon and ground cloves in mine (could use whole ones and fish 'em out after though) and they turned out lovely

Was too impatient to make a crumble or anything so have just had some in a bowl, like a compote thing, with a dollop of creme fraiche .. mmmmmmmmm
    ~

• Jodun
    • By Jodun 25th Mar 05, 8:53 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Jodun
    You can make a great milkshake/smoothie from a mango, banana, greek yogurt and some honey - yum! Or peel and slice the bananas and put them in the freezer, they'll be great for making smoothies without having to defrost them. Just chuck them into a blender with some strawberries, oj, raspberries, mango...... But make sure you freeze then in a single layer so the slices don't stick together!

Or I've got a great recipie for Carrot & Banana Cake, give me a shout if you fancy that.

Yum!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 25th Mar 05, 9:04 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    You can make a great milkshake/smoothie from a mango, banana, greek yogurt and some honey - yum!
    by Jodun
    That is my favourite smoothie as it happens, or banana and kiwi ... mmmm ... I love smoothies!

Or I've got a great recipie for Carrot & Banana Cake, give me a shout if you fancy that.

Yum!

Oooohhhh yes please
    ~

• Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 25th Mar 05, 9:25 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I don't believe it - C_Q beat me to it. I also would like the recipe for the carrot and banana cake.

Here's thought and great money saving idea. EITHER myself and C_Q cook a meal or cake, make double and then we can share.(Let's forget the distance travelled huh?) After all, we were bound to be having the same anyway. What's in your crock-pot next, sis?
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 26th Mar 05, 7:13 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Sounds good to me LOL!

I'm going to give the pork hock and lentil soup (posted on soups thread) a whirl in it today and see how that comes out. I need another cup of coffee or two yet though before I can stomach frying carrots, onions, celery and garlic so early LOL!

Did I also see you mention somewhere that you had Irish blood, or was that someone else? My grandmother is Irish too
    ~

• Jodun
    • By Jodun 26th Mar 05, 11:00 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Jodun
    Carrot & Banana Cake
    250g sr flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    150g soft brown suger
    125g grated carrots
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    2 large eggs, beaten
    150ml vegetable oil

Sift together flour, baking powder & pinch of salt. Stir in sugar, add carrots and bananas and mix. Make a well in the centre and add eggs and oil, mix. Pour into a 20cm round greased cake tin, bake at 180c for 1 1/4 hours.

This is good both hot and cold. Cold on its own, hot with ice-cream/cream/custard.

Enjoy!
    • By 16011996 26th Mar 05, 11:14 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    that cake sounds yum, will have to give that a try.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 26th Mar 05, 4:38 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Carrot and banana cake to be cooked soon methinks. Tesco's were selling off their value ones at 49p so grabbed a bag - not all bashed or bruised either.

C_Q - Mr TM's Irish, not me. Born and bred Lanc and proud of it.

160 - nice to see you back again. Was thinking about you only last night.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th Mar 05, 4:51 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Ok, the cake is now in the oven ... bet you aint got yours in at same time as me this time TM LOL!

And I just munched the last of the bananas in a sarnie
    ~

• MonkeyGirl
    Too much fresh fruit help
    Please help my partner 's dad got a tad excitied with the fruit shopping for us this week.

We have about 10 bananas poss more, lots of oranges, plums, nectarines , peaches, cherries, apples, kwiwi fruits, pears and 3 punnets of strawberries.

This little lot needs to be eaten up in a week as next week we will get some more fruit. I have thought about doing fruit salads but right now I dont have room in the fridge the freezer isn't much better .

I have just eaten a peach and a plum and partner has had two oranges and his dad had some fruit. It isn't going down though.

I normally have anywhere between 3 and 5 pieces of fruit a day but I wont manage all this lot please help.

Please don't suggest jams though as the recipes / ideas need to be low energy ones due to my health.

Thank you
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 4th Aug 05, 11:21 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 2,540 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    Hows about making some breakfast fruit muffins? I dont have a recipe to hand, but I guess a load could go into a muffin recipe and frozen, and would be good for unexpected visitors and breakfasts on the go.

Sorry cant be of more help, im not too good with fruit tbh!

Jo xx
    Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
  • MonkeyGirl
    Are you following me Jo ? You seem to be popping up everywhere even in the arms . I hadn't thought of muffins so that is actually a great help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin