Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    BrokeBrunette
    turkey soup??
    • 27th Dec 08, 8:13 AM
    turkey soup?? 27th Dec 08 at 8:13 AM
    I've seen the thread on leftover turkey and had a look through that, but what I'd really like to know is how do I turn my boiled, cooked turkey carcass (which is now a lovely jelly-like liquid) into tasty turkey soup?

I've got loads of turkey left but what can I put into the liquid to make it thicker and tastier? Do you put veg in it as well as the turkey and is there something important I should put into it to make it taste nice, as the jelly looks a bit pale and un-interesting. All help gratefully received as this will be my first attempt to make home made soup.

thankyou in advance
Page 1
  • justpeyton4now
    • 27th Dec 08, 9:01 AM
    • 27th Dec 08, 9:01 AM
    I usually add chopped onion, celery and carrots to the stock along with some of the meat. Some herb de provence and perhaps a bit of rosemary tossed in. I like a broth type base to soup but if you want to add a bit more substance to it, you can add a bit of rice or small pasta to it.

You can also freeze small containers of the broth to use for future soups, gravies and the like.

HTH
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
    • hotcookie101
    • By hotcookie101 27th Dec 08, 10:00 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    hotcookie101
    • 27th Dec 08, 10:00 AM
    • 27th Dec 08, 10:00 AM
    I second broth! Its my favourite thing to do with chicken leftovers, turkey, or now-trying it with the goose stock I made overnight in the SC (with half the carcass-the other half was boiled on the hob, and got about 4l stock over all!)
    I sweat leeks, carrots celery and onion (actually now I steam/sweat them with no oil) then add stock(if REALLY jelly like I usually mix with water, and freeze half), pearl barley or soup mix (barley today ) and simmer until cooked. Is VERY filling and very warming, complete comfort food!
    Its my memory of Boxing day at home, my mum always made broth (in NI you could buy soup veg-which were all ready prepped and came with a small tub of soup mix, soup celery is a special thing which I cannot seem to get anywhere else "soup veg soup" was even featured on Rick Stein's food heroes!)
    I LOVE it, sometimes add bits of meat to it, sometimes don't, my OH prefers it with it in, so tend to add it now, but never used to.
    yum yum yum
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 27th Dec 08, 10:44 AM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 20,797 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 27th Dec 08, 10:44 AM
    • 27th Dec 08, 10:44 AM
    You'll need seasoning as well, but that is dependent on what you put in when making your stock. Traditionally when you make stock there should be no salt, as you will season according to what the stock is used for. I usually add some more pepper (ground in, peppercorns having been used in the making of the stock) and plenty of salt, but this will vary according to the taste of your family. If you put pulses in it seems to need more salt as well.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Dec 08, 1:37 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 27th Dec 08, 1:37 PM
    • 27th Dec 08, 1:37 PM
    Hi BrokeBrunette,

I make turkey broth in the same way as I make chicken broth:

Strip all the meat from the carcass.
    Put the bones into a roasting tin and brown in a hot oven or under the grill (this really adds to the flavour)
    Put the browned bones in a pan and cover with water and bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for at least four hours.
    Strain the stock then add soup mix or make your own mix of barley, split peas and lentils. Sometimes I add a couple of stock cubes for extra flavour at this stage but it's not usually necessary with turkey stock which is stronger than chicken.
    Simmer until the pulses are soft then add black pepper, chopped carrots, leeks, celery and parsley.
    Once all the veg are cooked serve with warm crusty bread. Pics of how I make it here

Pink
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 27th Dec 08, 1:41 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    • 27th Dec 08, 1:41 PM
    • 27th Dec 08, 1:41 PM
    Woah Pink-winged that looks so delicious! And your own bread too! Thanks so much for posting that!
    Barney is my border collie.
  • LegalBlonde
    • 27th Dec 09, 8:11 AM
    Turkey Soup???
    • 27th Dec 09, 8:11 AM
    Sorry if this recipe is in another thread somewhere. And I thought OS was a more appropriate place than Christmas moneysaving.

Long long before I discovered this website (before it existed) and I started on chicken carcuss soup, my old Granny would always make Turkey soup the day after boxing day, I would really like to do this, does anyone have any recipes??? Thanks in advance
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Dec 09, 8:14 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 27th Dec 09, 8:14 AM
    • 27th Dec 09, 8:14 AM
    In principle there's no difference making turkey soup from chicken soup Try this thread for more ideas

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • LegalBlonde
    • 27th Dec 09, 8:20 AM
    • 27th Dec 09, 8:20 AM
    Thanks Penny that's great - 3 posts down was a link to Delia's Turkey Soup

Wish me luck x
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Dec 09, 10:52 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi LegalBlonde,

I agree with Penny, there is no difference between making turkey soup and chicken soup. There is a difference in the taste though as turkey stock is normally stronger than chicken stock. I think turkey broth is the best soup of the year!

As this thread has fallen down the Old Style board I've added it to the existing turkey soup thread to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • LegalBlonde
    I second broth! Its my favourite thing to do with chicken leftovers, turkey, or now-trying it with the goose stock I made overnight in the SC (with half the carcass-the other half was boiled on the hob, and got about 4l stock over all!)
    I sweat leeks, carrots celery and onion (actually now I steam/sweat them with no oil) then add stock(if REALLY jelly like I usually mix with water, and freeze half), pearl barley or soup mix (barley today ) and simmer until cooked. Is VERY filling and very warming, complete comfort food!
    Its my memory of Boxing day at home, my mum always made broth (in NI you could buy soup veg-which were all ready prepped and came with a small tub of soup mix, soup celery is a special thing which I cannot seem to get anywhere else "soup veg soup" was even featured on Rick Stein's food heroes!)
    I LOVE it, sometimes add bits of meat to it, sometimes don't, my OH prefers it with it in, so tend to add it now, but never used to.
    yum yum yum
    Originally posted by hotcookie101
    I am so glad you mentioned this!! I have spent 7 years in England confused as to why my soup never tastes like my mum's!! And anytime I mention it she is like what's the problem just go to a butcher and get a soup bone and soup veg. I really want some soup veg now
  • Libbyloo
    as i type now I have the Turkey carcass boiling on the hob ready to make soup for tea,
    Over the years I have made various versions of turkey/chicken soup however the fav one in my house is actually the easiest too,
    Firstly I make the stock from the carcass then add lots of chunkily chopped carrots, Onions or leeks, celery, and turnip or potatoes depending whats in the fridge once the veg is soft I add some soup pasta shells till cooked then a splash of milk, season to taste.
    it makes a very thick and filling soup and is the easiest to make whenever I make a massive stock pan of it it never makes it till the next day lol.
    • cdodd
    • By cdodd 27th Dec 09, 4:46 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    cdodd
    i prefer a thicker soup, i have got into the habbit the last few years of making the stock in the slow cooker xmas day pm/eve and put in the fridge overnight.
    on boxing day i made my soup
    I melted 30g/10z butter in a saucepan, fried off a chopped leek
    Added flour to make a roux, slowly added the turkey stock
    Brought to a boil and added a peeled and chopped largish (200g) potato and a peeled and chopped parsnip, salt and pepper
    Cooked for 30 mins then blitzed in the food processor as i thought the kids would moan about the lumps
    Put back in saucepan brought back to the boil with a handful of frozen sweetcorn, boiled for another 10mins to cook the corn and served with warm bread, it was delightful even if i do say so myself!

Have used some more of the stock tonight in a stir fry and will use the rest tomorow for a turkey ham and leek pie, I do love the challenge of turkey leftovers!!
  • LegalBlonde
    oh i am sooooooooo enjoying this!!! boiling the turkey bone now and got lots of veg to add. Just took some bread rolls out of freezer. Looking forward to OH coming home from work (even though after midnight) to serve him a bowl and tell him I made this from basically NOTHING, NOTHING I tell you!!!
  • Suzyr
    Pink Winged - you mention soup mix. I have a pack in my cupboard, (i think it's got pearl barley, red lentils, etc) but it says to soak it overnight. Is that right? Or can i just add to the stock and let it cook very slowly?
  • janeym8
    DH and i made this for tea tonight and was delicious
    we had already boiled the carcass for the stock and stripped the meat from same
    today we
    -cooked some potatoes,onion and what i thought was turnip from freezer but turned out to be yellow peppers!!!
    -added the couple of tablespoons of sage and onion stuffing we had leftover
    -blitzed this then added the meat
    -looked a bit watery as could have been doing with some more potatoes so i added a tablespoon of chicken gravy granules(dont tell DH)

ive never been one for making soup, as much as i like it but i never think its any good although, when i do make it we all eat it mind you.

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
    • soappie
    • By soappie 27th Dec 09, 9:31 PM
    • 6,620 Posts
    • 162,938 Thanks
    soappie
    Whenever I do chicken or turkey soup (along the lines of those written already), what I do to thicken it if it needs it, is pretend it's gravy and when it's ready to serve, take it off the heat for a couple of minutes then mix up some plain flour and Bisto gravy powder (NOT granules and I work on 1/3 flour, 2/3 bisto quantities) with some cold water (quantities depend on the thickness of the soup itself but the proportions are right), add to the soup, stir, put back on the hob to boil and stir until it's thickened.

Yum!
    I am the leading lady in the movie of my life

• Sublime
    I made turkey soup today. I boiled the carcass with some onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, and allspice. Then strained it.

Added some chopped streaky bacon, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, and potatoes, and whizzed it up with a blender, and topped with fresh parsley. Nice and healthy.
    Last edited by Sublime; 28-12-2009 at 6:28 AM. Reason: Forgot the sprouts!
    • Spendaholic Chick
    • By Spendaholic Chick 2nd Jan 10, 10:06 PM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 5,613 Thanks
    Spendaholic Chick
    Pink-winged, how long do you brown the bones in the oven for?

Recipe looks lovely, I haven't made soup in years, but trying to get into better habits!
    GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts

March NSD 5/10 March Make 5 Day 99.28/155
  • Gingernutmeg
    Turkey soup is traditional in our family, it's what we always have on the day after Boxing Day. It's basically just vegetables and tukey boiled in turley stock (with maybe a chicken stock cube added for flavour). The vegetables tend to be celery, onion, carrots, potatoes, maybe sweet potatoes and other root vegetables if there are any spare. I usually soften the onion and celery first, then add the other vegetables and turkey, add just enough stock to cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft. This kind of soup is even better the day after, and it's really good with a good sprinkling of Worcester Sauce over it before you serve it. Sometimes I also make matzo ball dumplings too, if we need even more stodge!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,153Posts Today

6,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin