Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 25th Dec 08, 5:08 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:08 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:08 PM
    ........dont over par-boil the spuds, roasted mash potato is a strange dish

still managed to eat it all though, very yummy dinner even if i do say so

hope everyone else has had a good day
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 25th Dec 08, 5:18 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 57,812 Thanks
    Pollybear
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:18 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:18 PM
    Don't do as many potatoes, people only want about half what they normally eat!
  • jorichste
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:27 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:27 PM
    Oh did all the cooking today, so I learnt to drink champagne while watching!! Hope you all had a fab christmas
    • irchy_mum
    • By irchy_mum 25th Dec 08, 5:30 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    irchy_mum
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:30 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:30 PM
    Do all the cooking on Xmas eve, so that you can spend ALL your Xmas day having fun with the kids
    Jo x
  • misskool
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:36 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 5:36 PM
    Don't drop the roasting tin......
  • mother noah
    • 25th Dec 08, 6:01 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 6:01 PM
    Dont buy a turkey from Waitrose .......... it was horrid .
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 25th Dec 08, 6:07 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    • 25th Dec 08, 6:07 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 6:07 PM
    Don't buy a HUGE turkey crown from M&S Can anyone tell me if I can freeze it and have it cold one day?

Don't cook a hundred weight of potatoes for 3 people
    Don't try to hold the roasting tin with your bare hands straight from the oven

If I wasn't so full I'd love to eat my dinner all over again, it was lush
    Grocery Challenge M: 450/425.08 A: 400/.May -400/361 June 380/230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
    • salster
    • By salster 25th Dec 08, 6:09 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    salster
    • 25th Dec 08, 6:09 PM
    • 25th Dec 08, 6:09 PM
    Don't buy a HUGE turkey crown from M&S Can anyone tell me if I can freeze it and have it cold one day?
    Originally posted by fletch3163
    Mines all portioned out into the freezer, for pies, curries and sarnies throughout January and possibly February
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013
  • floyd
    I learnt to let someone else do it! First year I haven't cooked or travelled miles away for Christmas dinner and it was marvellous Great dinner made by MIL then we could walk home and have a snooze.
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 25th Dec 08, 6:12 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 8,396 Thanks
    Sagz
    Xmas dinner, what did you learn?

I learnt that that one last sprout was one too many..... I don't reel very well now!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 25th Dec 08, 6:16 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 20,797 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Don't do as many potatoes, people only want about half what they normally eat!
    Originally posted by Pollybear
    Not in this household, there wasn't enough mash and only just enough roast....I didn't mind, I had the parsnips!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
  • kunekune
    The bronze turkey (frozen) from Waitrose was worth every one of the thirty pounds. OH said it was the best he had ever eaten.

I only got the M&S roasties because I couldn't find any tatties last weekend. They were awful. Some went grey when being cooked. Daughter gagged trying to eat one, we threw them all away.

But the parsnips roasted with honey were fab.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : 129,600
    Overpayments to date: 3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • wallbash
    I don't reel very well now!

Veggies are meant to be good for you!

My 4lb turkey crown was 51 ( luckily my mother pays for the turkey and the wine)
  • Bambywamby
    My 5lb pork joint was 7 and was totally lush, so I learned Xmas really is okay without turkey.

Asda's smartprice sage & onion stuffing went down so well, I will be having it more often.

Crackers are a waste of money, they were pulled, bad jokes told and everything put in the bin from the cracker as soon as lunch was over.

Steamed sprouts are 1000 times more yummy than ones boiled in water.
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • rhiwfield
    Now dont laugh when I tell you that some of us had rice pudding for afters. I used a weaker version of delia's rich rice pudding and it was gorgeous, 1 oz less rice and 300ml more milk but keep all the butter and eggs to give the egg custard topping. Sticky toffee pudding was also verywell received (catering for 11!)

We had beef this year, on offer at Sainsburys, pot-roasted for 3 hours and melting apart. Lovely!
    • hayley11
    • By hayley11 25th Dec 08, 6:37 PM
    • 7,367 Posts
    • 14,864 Thanks
    hayley11
    I learnt that I am not as useless as some people think

I cooked dinner for my OH, his brother, his mum and her husband and me of course and nothing was burnt, everything was perfect! And the only thing I cheated on was the yorkshire puds (Aunt Bessie, thank you!)

AND my MIL washed all the pots (I told her not to but I fell asleep on the settee and she did it all anyway!)
    Think happy & you'll be happy
    I my doggies
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 25th Dec 08, 6:38 PM
    • 36,518 Posts
    • 47,097 Thanks
    McKneff
    put a sticky note on the microwave saying 'dont forget the peas'
    i have forgotten them 3 years in a row and found them next day!!!!
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 25th Dec 08, 6:46 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 20,797 Thanks
    purpleivy
    put a sticky note on the microwave saying 'dont forget the peas'
    i have forgotten them 3 years in a row and found them next day!!!!
    Originally posted by anniehanlon

LOL! Mum forgot the cranberry sauce, but wasn't really missed as only DB's MIL likes it! I found the roast parsnips when doing a last sweep of the kitchen before sitting down.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • shazrobo
    • By shazrobo 25th Dec 08, 7:18 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    shazrobo
    learned cold sliced chicken and salad, with jacket spuds was a stress free xmas lunch, and left more time to play with kids
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,857Posts Today

7,582Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mr_S_David: @MartinSLewis I don?t have a lot, but feel I?m more fortunate than a lot so hit the HAVE button, it?s not rocket science or?

• It's fascinating how some seem almost angry with me for "not defining haves and have-nots." Yet that's not the p? https://t.co/2gC22t7YAJ

• RT @melanie__King: @MartinSLewis ?Haves? to me isn?t financial or materialistic, it?s mainly about freedom of mind, not being oppressed and?

• Follow Martin