Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • turfy6
    • By turfy6 23rd Dec 08, 3:35 PM
    • 1,479Posts
    • 5,172Thanks
    turfy6
    Hm Ham Glaze
    • 23rd Dec 08, 3:35 PM
    Hm Ham Glaze 23rd Dec 08 at 3:35 PM
    Have a lovely piece of Ham soaking at the mo. Normally do a marmalade glaze but fancied a change. I looked at the ham glaze to buy but at 3 euro 65 thought Im sure I can make my own. Their ingredients were honey, soy sauce and apple plus all the usual added u know what. Does anyone have a recipe they like and may like to share, Thanks folks
Page 1
    • nesssie1702
    • By nesssie1702 23rd Dec 08, 4:20 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 4,384 Thanks
    nesssie1702
    • 23rd Dec 08, 4:20 PM
    • 23rd Dec 08, 4:20 PM
    When I'm glazing a ham, I usually score it and stud it with cloves and then drizzle some runny honey over it before putting it into the oven to roast.

HTH
    • morwenna
    • By morwenna 23rd Dec 08, 4:54 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    morwenna
    • 23rd Dec 08, 4:54 PM
    • 23rd Dec 08, 4:54 PM
    I coat the fat in English Mustard and pat dark brown sugar over before roasting - a surgical glove moment in this house! This is also nice on gammon steaks IHTH
    • gremlin
    • By gremlin 23rd Dec 08, 5:07 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    gremlin
    • 23rd Dec 08, 5:07 PM
    • 23rd Dec 08, 5:07 PM
    I do a mix of most of the ingredients mentioned before.

english mustard, brown sugar and honey all mixed together and spread over the ham.

Jane x
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 23rd Dec 08, 5:17 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    • 23rd Dec 08, 5:17 PM
    • 23rd Dec 08, 5:17 PM
    I've got a ham for Boxing Day and I'm going to do the Nigella thing with cola. Only problem is she says to stud with cloves afterwards for the glaze in the oven BUT I came over all miserly in Asda today and refused to pay over 2 for a wee jar of cloves. Will the ham suffer?
    Grocery Challenge M: 450/425.08 A: 400/.May -400/361 June 380/230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
    • turfy6
    • By turfy6 23rd Dec 08, 9:53 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    turfy6
    • 23rd Dec 08, 9:53 PM
    • 23rd Dec 08, 9:53 PM
    Thanks peeps think I will go with the honey and brown sugar, I know what you mean about coming over all miserly Im getting worse now than ever, I get home and wonder why on earth didnt I just buy something even if it is a treat!! Go a bit overboard sometimes
    • Paulie'sGirl
    • By Paulie'sGirl 24th Dec 08, 5:05 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Paulie'sGirl
    • 24th Dec 08, 5:05 PM
    • 24th Dec 08, 5:05 PM
    I just use plain muscavado sugar, it gives a lovely "toffee" like glaze.

Don't worry about the cloves, it'll be fine

PGxx
  • archived user
    • 24th Dec 08, 8:34 PM
    • 24th Dec 08, 8:34 PM
    i put worstershire sauce along with brown sugar and mustard and stud with cloves
  • Burlesque Babe
    • 26th Dec 08, 4:32 PM
    Would this work as a glaze for ham?
    • 26th Dec 08, 4:32 PM
    I'm doing baked ham (it's just boiling at the moment) and was thinking about the glaze for when it goes in the oven.

How about black treacle mixed with the juice of 1 orange? Would this work? :confused:

If not, any suggestions for using black treacle with something? I don't have any honey or mustard in the cupboard, although I do have mustard powder (somewhere hidden away! )
    "Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012
  • Wonder_Girl
    how about this

http://www.tesco.com/todayattesco/cookbook/spiced_black_treacle_ham.shtml

or this?

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/ham-in-coca-cola-recipe_p_1.html
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • Burlesque Babe
    excellent - I'm going to do the top one as I have mixed spice and also chilli flakes.

Thankyou.
    "Stay Wonky"

• Burlesque Babe
    just to report back - the tesco black treacle/chilli flake/mixed spice recipe is lush. I boiled my ham first and then popped it in the oven for 30 minutes with the glaze.

The black treacle which comes off burns (the tray) though, so it might be better doing it completely in the oven so the juices and the treacle mix.
    "Stay Wonky"

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Dec 08, 12:39 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi burlesque babe,

That sounds lovely. I usually boil the ham then do the glaze in the oven but find the glaze does burn on the bottom so I always line the tray with tin foil so to save on the scraping and soaking afterwards.

I've added your thread to the current one on glazes for ham to keep the ideas together for other users.

Pink
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 28th Dec 08, 10:50 AM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    newleaf
    Thanks for those links WG. We've had weekend guests and I did Nigella's ham in coke for dinner last night, with roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, carrots & peas. It was fab, much nicer than I expected, and I'll definitely cook it that way again .
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Burp
    How do you glaze your gammon joint?
    ello

... tomorrow I'm attempting to cook a gammon joint in the SC with coke... but want to stick it in the oven afterwards to glaze it ... I have honey in the cupboard but just wondered if anybody has an nice and simple tips for glazing a gammon joint?

Cheers

Burp x
    • hex2
    • By hex2 21st Jul 09, 3:47 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Treacle, demerara sugar, mustard, honey all work well as would Maple syrup. I sit the gammon on a piece of foil so I don't have to clean burnt sticky stuff out of the tray afterwards
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 21st Jul 09, 3:49 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    I always boil it then slather it with a mix of honey and mustard.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • bebee
    Boil as normal then into the oven to roast then for the last 1/2 hour or so
    Cover with Marmalade and a teaspoon of mustard and pop back in the yummy
    2 Pig has 86 in his Tummy. I am seriuosly Become a O/S Saver
    • mmmsnow
    • By mmmsnow 27th Jul 11, 9:38 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    mmmsnow
    Ham in the slow cooker (for sandwich meat)
    My mum managed to get five big joints of ham that were going out of date so she spread the love around

I'm hoping to make it in the slow cooker but, instead of just putting in water, I was wondering if you could use honey and mustard? It's going to be sandwich meat eventually and I really love wafer thin honey mustard ham.

I have honey and powdered mustard (and mustard seeds and a hundred other spices) - what's the best way to do it?

When I did a search, it came up with a recipe that involved 4 hours in the SC then 30mins in the oven (that was to crisp the fat but we're dieters so no fat for us!). Is there any way to avoid the oven completely and still get the taste of the honey and mustard penetrating the meat?
  • Amber_Babies
    I usually cook the ham in sc with mustard seeds, peppercorns, onion & carrot. Then when its cooked, take it out, strip all the fat off & paint with honey & mustard mix & put it in the oven for 30 mins. I know that wasnt what you asked but unsure how else you could encorporate honey.

Kate
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

710Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter