Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 22nd Dec 08, 1:02 PM
    • 24,632Posts
    • 28,519Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Useless Alliance & Leicester e-Saver
    • 22nd Dec 08, 1:02 PM
    Useless Alliance & Leicester e-Saver 22nd Dec 08 at 1:02 PM
    Have recently set up this account and today go online to set up my direct debit from my current account. I discover that I cannot do this and have to ring up to be told
    1. Alliance & Leicester do not support Firefox web browser as "it isn't safe" (a lot safer than their recommended Explorer)
    2. They don't allow regular direct debits to be set up online as "we need to check it's right" (isn't that my problem?)

What a joke. Basically it's a telephone savings account mis-sold as an internet savings account.

Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
Page 1
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 22nd Dec 08, 2:34 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    • 22nd Dec 08, 2:34 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 2:34 PM
    The DD should have been set-up when you applied online for the account. As I recall you even get a copy of the DD agreement to print as you do this. The account takes a long time to set up. They don't seem efficient at all. My ID didn't arrive in the post but my PIN did. I phoned to get the ID once a load of security questions had been asked. More than a week later I realised it still hadn't come so I used their secure messaging to ask where it was. My coincidence, it arrived next morning. I also got several replies to the messages I left online most not answering in full, but together did. Confusing as hell - you wonder what goes on there too - are they confused?

I only have a quid in it - just there in case I think it might be good enough to transfer anything to - long as I don't want to take it out again any time soon.:rolleyes:
    • cos69
    • By cos69 22nd Dec 08, 3:12 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    cos69
    • 22nd Dec 08, 3:12 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 3:12 PM
    ..... 1. Alliance & Leicester do not support Firefox web browser as "it isn't safe" (a lot safer than their recommended Explorer) ......
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    Not sure why you should be having problems with Firefox - I use it to manage my A&L accounts without any problems.
  • Baldur
    • 22nd Dec 08, 3:22 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 3:22 PM
    Not sure why you should be having problems with Firefox - I use it to manage my A&L accounts without any problems.
    Originally posted by cos69
    I also use Firefox with my A&L accounts with no problems.
    • diveleader
    • By diveleader 22nd Dec 08, 3:39 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    diveleader
    • 22nd Dec 08, 3:39 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 3:39 PM
    No Problems with Firefox also
    Have you tried Safari ?
    www.apple.com/safari/download/
    • dragonsoup
    • By dragonsoup 22nd Dec 08, 5:28 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    dragonsoup
    • 22nd Dec 08, 5:28 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 5:28 PM
    I also used Firefox without problems for the short miserable period I was with them.

The only online banking I have found that conflicts is Eggs Money Manager or whatever they call it. I can't use it with Firefox and I will not use it with IE.

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 22nd Dec 08, 8:44 PM
    • 24,632 Posts
    • 28,519 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 22nd Dec 08, 8:44 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 8:44 PM
    Thanks to you all for your replies. I did set up a DD when I opened the A&L accounts, and this is displayed on my internet banking for my Co-op current account. But I haven't set an amount to be transferred regularly yet and can't manage this on the A&L savings accounts net banking. The message says "your registered accounts cannot display DDs online". I wondered if this meant DDs out and not DDs in so rang A&L to check ...

In respect of Firefox, I seem to be able to access most areas of the A&L internet banking, but the "payments/ transfers" page won't load. I presently have the pop up and ad blockers disabled so it's not that; the page loads fine using Explorer at work. BUT I have Firefox because it's safer for important stuff like online banking, and because I can get support from more IT savvy family members!
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 22-12-2008 at 8:47 PM.
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 22nd Dec 08, 9:06 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    • 22nd Dec 08, 9:06 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 9:06 PM
    Mine show the same as yours. Think this site may also be for other accounts such as current accounts, which it would be reasonable to expect to be able to set DD's. What did A&L say when you phoned?

Doesn't look as though the e-saver 2 will accept set-up of regular payments.

IE and FF works equally well on the site

Edit: Think you'd be better with their Online Tracker - that does allow regular monthly payments in without needing to do it manually every month
    Last edited by savetilibleed; 22-12-2008 at 9:16 PM. Reason: addition
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 22nd Dec 08, 10:18 PM
    • 24,632 Posts
    • 28,519 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 22nd Dec 08, 10:18 PM
    • 22nd Dec 08, 10:18 PM
    Mine show the same as yours. Think this site may also be for other accounts such as current accounts, which it would be reasonable to expect to be able to set DD's. What did A&L say when you phoned?
    Originally posted by savetilibleed
    Alliance & Leicester customer services spoke to their IT guys and reported back that they do not support Firefox web browser as "it isn't safe"!! And also that whilst it is possible to set up DDs into an e-saver by telephone, it's not on the net.
  • shadow13
    yeah i use firefox fine with a & l pages fine also

and regarding the e saver account i also had the same problem and was not able to make regular payments into the account from my current account (which was the whole point i wanted it!!!lol)

so what i did was simply create a new payment to transfer on the 26th of every month (pay day) for the next year from current account to e saver.. so now i have 12 pending payments of 150 to go into the savings account on the 26th of every month. takes a few minutes to set up but got around the problem of the site not allowing regular payments.

couple months into my savings scheme and all's working fine, 300 in the savings account, still 12 payments over the next year pending
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 23rd Dec 08, 1:35 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    so what i did was simply create a new payment to transfer on the 26th of every month (pay day) for the next year from current account to e saver.. so now i have 12 pending payments of 150 to go into the savings account on the 26th of every month. takes a few minutes to set up but got around the problem of the site not allowing regular payments.
    Originally posted by shadow13
    Was that a payment arrangement you set up from your non A&L bank account? If so you'd have needed to know the account number and sort code. I don't think I know my A&L sort code and the account number is 11 digits long. Do/will A&L provide these details on request?
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 23rd Dec 08, 1:37 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,348 Thanks
    newlywed
    Have recently set up this account and today go online to set up my direct debit from my current account. I discover that I cannot do this and have to ring up to be told
    1. Alliance & Leicester do not support Firefox web browser as "it isn't safe" (a lot safer than their recommended Explorer)
    2. They don't allow regular direct debits to be set up online as "we need to check it's right" (isn't that my problem?)
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have an A&L e saver account - I can view it in fire fox (only use that and never had a problem).

And I can set up a standing order from my A&L current account into my savings account - online! :confused::confused:

DMP support thread (member #32)

• YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 23rd Dec 08, 1:40 PM
    • 30,605 Posts
    • 18,619 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I don't think I know my A&L sort code and the account number is 11 digits long. Do/will A&L provide these details on request?
    Originally posted by savetilibleed
    See your eSaver 'user guide'...

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/customer-service/user-guides/savings/esaver/page3.aspx
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 23rd Dec 08, 1:45 PM
    • 30,605 Posts
    • 18,619 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Alliance & Leicester customer services spoke to their IT guys and reported back that they do not support Firefox web browser
    Really? From their 'Ask a question' section...
    You said:
    Can my computer use Internet banking?

Our answer is:
    Alliance & Leicester Internet banking can be accessed using the following technology:

For Microsoft based PC's
    Operating Systems
    - Windows 98 and above

Browsers
    - IE 5.01 and above
    - Mozilla Firefox 1.04 and above
    - Opera 7.54 and above
    - Netscape 7
  • Baldur
    In respect of Firefox, I seem to be able to access most areas of the A&L internet banking, but the "payments/ transfers" page won't load. I presently have the pop up and ad blockers disabled so it's not that...
    I have no problem using the Payments & Transfers section via Firefox 3.0.5 and have used it successfully with previous versions.
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 23rd Dec 08, 4:23 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    Thank you! A case of "seek and ye shall find" if I had bothered to seek in the first place! I have found it now by seeking out the user guides on the A&L site.
    • Iconic
    • By Iconic 23rd Dec 08, 4:28 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Iconic
    I cannot understand why they have 11 digit account numbers when every other bank has 8 digits. It does not inspire much confidence when you have to put your account number in the Reference box.

Any payment has alot more chance of getting lost if you ask me.

'If you would like to set one up from an account with another bank you can ask them to set up a new standing order. You will need to advise them of the following details:
    Sort Code: 72-58-10
    Account number: 0000 0000
    Reference: Your 11 digit eSaver account number (as quoted in your welcome letter)'
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 23rd Dec 08, 4:59 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    Umm yes confusing. When I want to pay into my Yorkshire Internet Saver (if I don't use Debit card), their instruction is to use the first 8 of the 10 digit account number and the whole number as a reference number. A&L don't say but their Standing Order form asks for an 8 digit A&L account number and a reference number.
  • presh
    No Problems with Firefox also
    Have you tried Safari ?
    www.apple.com/safari/download/
    Originally posted by diveleader
    Safari is the worst browser around. Even worse than IE. Stay clear to stay safe. Happy Holidays.
    What good am I, if I am like the rest. - Bob Dylan
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 26th Dec 08, 2:20 PM
    • 24,632 Posts
    • 28,519 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Really? From their 'Ask a question' section...
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Cheers. I can only report what I was told, perhaps the dozy cow couldn't be bothered to ask the IT department?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

391Posts Today

6,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin