Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • smokey112
    • By smokey112 12th Jan 06, 3:01 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    smokey112
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:01 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:01 PM
    When I cook ribs , after marinating in honey (if I have an), tomato sauce - chilli flakes etc - I cook in a hot oven about 200 for 20 mins then turn and taste after another 20 - 25 mins - I pick the smaller ones first as I know they will be ready yum yum and then the bigger ones after about 35 mins.

They are usually lovely

HTH

Ang
    x
  • Chickadee
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:10 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:10 PM
    Thanks smokey thats great!

I'm trying to use up all of the stuff in the freezer/cupboards. These have been stuck at the back of the freezer for ages. I bought them at a farmer's market, but have been too scared to use them!

They are quite large so I might leave them a bit longer.

Chickadee
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 12th Jan 06, 3:13 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:13 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:13 PM
    You could also fry them or grill them (grilling prob healthier) for about 10 - 15 mins each side.
    Catherine x
  • MissMuppet
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:14 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:14 PM
    I cooked ribs a few weeks ago... I put them in the oven dry for a couple of hours and then covered in barbeque sauce for another 30 mins! They were lovely and tender... I think the oven was on about 180 degrees...
  • Chickadee
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:18 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:18 PM
    Silly question, but how will I know they are cooked properly... I don't want to gve everyone food poisoning!
    • Swan
    • By Swan 12th Jan 06, 3:26 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:26 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:26 PM
    here's a very easy way with ribs, they come out lovely & tender, juicy & sticky

2lb spare ribs, cut up the way you like them
    6 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
    6 Tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons peeled & finely chopped fresh root ginger
    1 onion peeled & quartered
    3 Tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry (optional)

put all ingredients in a wide pan with 1 & 3/4 pints water, bring to boil & simmer 45 minutes, turning meat every so often. then turn up heat & boil uncovered for 20 minutes or so to reduce the sauce & it becomes thick & syrupy
  • black-saturn
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:27 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:27 PM
    I friend of mine marinades hers in Dr Pepper and then coats them in a barbecue sauce. It tastes lovely.
  • MissMuppet
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:33 PM
    • 12th Jan 06, 3:33 PM
    I friend of mine marinades hers in Dr Pepper and then coats them in a barbecue sauce. It tastes lovely.
    by black-saturn
    Wow! That sounds lovely... I have 3 racks in the freezer, must go and buy some Dr Pepper!
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 12th Jan 06, 3:40 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Swans recipe sounds lovely, will def try that next week!!!!
  • Chickadee
    Mmmm...I think I'll be buying more ribs!
  • black-saturn
    Me too
    • toozie
    • By toozie 12th Jan 06, 7:44 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    For years I've put my ribs (not literary!) in the slow cooker. Bung in loads, and pour an inch of boiling water over, and cook on low all day.

Take out carefully, meat is now sooooo tender. Place in roasting tin, and pour over a mixture of soya sauce, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, mustard powder. Bake in hot oven for about 20 mins, basting the meat with the juice a couple of times.

I vary the pour over mixture, crushed garlic, back pepper, orange juice, anything goes!
  • lily the pink
    I marinade in star anise (say 3 whole), honey(quite a lot - depends how sweet you want the sauce), oyster sauce(about a third of a smallish bottle), chilli flakes(depends on how hot you want it), crushed garlic. The longer you can leave the better. 24 hours is good but a few hours okay.

The whole lot then goes into a shallow large square pyrex - you dont want ribs on top of each other though, medium heat (gas mark 5) for quite a while about an hour and a half

Serve with rice. Allow as many ribs per person as your budget allows.
    • ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 13th Jan 06, 11:40 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    All these recipes sounds lovely - must remember to buy ribs when i go shopping!!!!!!!!!!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Jan 06, 11:43 AM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 32,337 Thanks
    suki1964
    My tip for cooking ribs - esp if grilling or cooking on the BBQ - is to boil them first. This cooks and softens the meat and removes a lot of the fat. Then marinade as usual and grill
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • astep70uk
    Help with cooking Pork Spare Ribs please!
    My son loves sticky pork ribs when he goes to his grans. She gets them ready prepared with the sauce etc from the butcher.

I've been to Asda tonight and bought some ribs, but I've never cooked them before
    And, could anyone tell me how to make a sticky marinade??

Oh, and only my son eats them and I've bought quite a large pack, so whats the best way to freeze them?
    Uncooked?
    Uncooked but marinaded? or
    Fully cooked?

Any help on this one much appreciated
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • black-saturn
    Try marinading them in Dr Pepper. It's really lovely.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 24th Mar 06, 7:42 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    DS and me love this -
    2lb spare ribs
    6 tbsp soy sauce
    6 tbsp sugar
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 onion peeled and quartered
    3 tbsp wine.

Put all ingredients in a pan with 1 1/2 pints of water, bring to the boil, simmer for 45 minutes, turning the meat occasionally. Turn up the heat and boil for 20 mins (uncovered) to reduce the sauce, it will become thick and sticky!!!! Serve.

You can freeze them like this once they have cooled.
    • Swan
    • By Swan 24th Mar 06, 8:47 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    there's a link to another thread with rib recipes HERE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

5,011Users online

Martin's Twitter