Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lka200
    • By lka200 10th Dec 08, 4:47 PM
    • 194Posts
    • 619Thanks
    lka200
    frozen HM roast potatoes
    • 10th Dec 08, 4:47 PM
    frozen HM roast potatoes 10th Dec 08 at 4:47 PM
    Hi all, i read on the Daily thread that some folks make HM roast potatoes and then freeze them.
    I would like to do this as i buy the ready prepared frozen ones but much prefer my own.
    How do you do it?..do you par boil and then cook a little? just par boil? or cook completely then freeze.
    Do they need to be coated in oil before going into the freezer?
    thanks lucy
    #440 sealed pot challenge
Page 1
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 10th Dec 08, 5:32 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    • 10th Dec 08, 5:32 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 5:32 PM
    Hi I always cook them first then freeze them as they're generally a leftover in my house. I defrost them in the fridge then given them a quick blast in the oven.

Hope this helps.
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • jinny
    • By jinny 10th Dec 08, 5:42 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    • 10th Dec 08, 5:42 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 5:42 PM
    Building up to Christmas last year I froze batches of roasties and they were fine I slightly underdone them before open freezing them I done the same with sprouts, carrot batons, parsnip, stuffing balls and cooked mashed turnip It was a godsend, as I have a houseful on boxing day lunch for the first time in years I wasn't stuck in the kitchen all morning.
    Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together - Elizabeth Taylor
    • ragz
    • By ragz 10th Dec 08, 6:19 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 10th Dec 08, 6:19 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 6:19 PM
    I was just wondering earlier what I could cook before xmas and freeze as I have a tiny kitchen with a tiny oven in which I have to cook 2 huge joints of meat and enough veg for 6 people!
    Do the roasties taste as good when they've been frozen? I cannot stand shop bought ones and happen to be rather famous in my family for my roast dinners so I don't want to let myself down by cheating?!
    Jinny, when you say you frozre them "open", what do you mean?
    Will definitely be making my stuffing balls up early now as I find it impossible to make time/room in the oven for them.
    Does anyone know roughly how much time I should allow to reheat/cook these froxen delights on xmas day?
    Thanks
    Ragz
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • JayJay14
    • 10th Dec 08, 6:48 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 6:48 PM
    I freeze roasties all the year round. I do a bag of spuds at a time, cut to size and boil for about 5 mins. I toss them in oil and open freeze.

When frozen I pack them in trays (I use foil trays from M&S chickens as they are really robust and can be used over and over). I freeze them in the quantities I need for meals, wrapped in clingfilm or bagged.

When I want roasties I just take a tray out of the freezer and put it straight in the oven frozen.

The taste great every time.

Ragz - open freezing is just putting them on a tray without wrapping and bagging them up later, stops them sticking together.
    Last edited by JayJay14; 10-12-2008 at 6:50 PM.
  • sunshine6650
    • 10th Dec 08, 7:16 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 7:16 PM
    IM COMPLETLY JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON HERE!

I have a tiny tiny kitchen - prob like yours ragz! And both sets of parents for xmas dinner..

Roasts then, are boiled for 10 mins, coated in oil then open froze? as simple as that? then just bung them in on the day? from frozen?

How about stuffing? just make it as normal, put into balls & open freeze then bag up..
    2010 is my DO IT year! grow own bits,savvy shopping,organised!!Get a hobby!!! be fit!! be happy!!
    Saving all change & paying off debts!!
    constantly looking to save money!!! all help needed!!
    • Dee140157
    • By Dee140157 10th Dec 08, 7:28 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 7,796 Thanks
    Dee140157
    • 10th Dec 08, 7:28 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 7:28 PM
    I tend to just cook a double batch of potatoes when I do a roast and freeze one lot either open (on a baking tray ) or in a box layered with baking parchment or greaseproof. Just bung in oven from frozen and cook for about 20 mins or so. Taste just the same as first time around, sometimes even crispier.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 10th Dec 08, 7:36 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 10th Dec 08, 7:36 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 7:36 PM
    So am I getting confused or are some of you just doing it differently?
    Can I cook them in the oven then freeze them or is it best to freeze before roasting them? I'm looking for whichever option takes the least time on Christmas day, without compromising too much on flavour/texture?
    I know raw potatoes go black when frozen, should all prepared veg be par-boiled first if I want to freeze it?
    Thanks for your help.
    Ragz is busy studying
    • Old Joe
    • By Old Joe 10th Dec 08, 9:50 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Old Joe
    • 10th Dec 08, 9:50 PM
    • 10th Dec 08, 9:50 PM
    We have roast dinnners on Sunday and midweek.
    To save time cookingwise midweek, on the Sunday what I need for midweek I par cook the potatoes for about five minutes before roasting in the usual way on a high temperature for about 10 - 15 minutes.
    Cool them, before bagging them up and putting them in the freezer.
    Midweek take them out of freezer, put them in a roasting tin and into the oven for them to finish 'colouring-up'.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 11th Dec 08, 1:35 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi lka,

I bulk cook roast potatoes in batches and then freeze them in family sized portions. I cook them less than I normally would...until they're just beginning to colour then cool quickly and freeze. When I want to use them I take them straight from the freezer and give them 20-25 minutes in a hot oven to crisp them up again. I have tried defrosting them first but I think they're crispier if reheated from frozen.

Pink
  • irishwexford
    Im so pleased to see these postings. I find on Christmas day my kitchen smells of oil through cooking roast potatoes on high heat, I even though of buying frozen ones. I will cook a large batch and freeze them, also parsnips which will also cut down on time. I will make and freeze stuffing balls and sausages wrapped in bacon so easy Christmas day for me. This will work for me throughout the year as well. I will also make batches of mashed potatoes, shape into rounds and open freeze. These will be handy for shepherds pies and any other dish that needs a topping.
    Coming on here is like attending a cookery class. Thanks
    • jomo70
    • By jomo70 12th Dec 08, 6:51 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    jomo70
    I notice that some of you are saying they make stuffing and freeze...is this just HM stuffing or do you make up the dry packet stuff and freeze before putting in the oven?

I'm going to do the roast pots and freeze before hand so I can take them to my mum and dads on xmas day...feel I need to help out in someway! feel a bit guilty just turning up stuffing our faces and then coming home again
    • ragz
    • By ragz 12th Dec 08, 10:35 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Jomo70, I have just made up stuffing balls and I'm going to bake them until they start to brown, then cool and freeze. Hopefully they will only need 10 minutes in the oven on Christmas day and I will have one less fiddly job to do.
    OH likes his stuffing stodgy and in a big lump but everyone else likes balls so tough luck OH!
    Ragz is busy studying
    • jinny
    • By jinny 12th Dec 08, 4:53 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Hi haven't been on site for a few days but wow plenty of advice given about open freezing xmas veg ect. I like to open freeze on tea trays then pack into bags to pop into oven on the day The question about stuffing, I do balls as well as "sloppy" stuffing I just freeze the soft mixture into a bag and put into a dish with more water when defrosted to cook. I use a cheap packet of stuffing then mix in about 6 slices of bread chopped up or made into crumbs with a chopped onion, black pepper, and dried sage. Then mix in enough hot water to bind. I'm even considering cooking the turkey a few days earlier and slicing it up to freeze also making up gravy and freezing that as well. We do not carve at the table, so that would be a time saver too.
    • jinny
    • By jinny 13th Dec 08, 5:22 AM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Hi haven't been on site for a few days but wow plenty of advice given about open freezing xmas veg ect. I like to open freeze on tea trays then pack into bags to pop into oven on the day The question about stuffing, I do balls as well as "sloppy" stuffing I just freeze the soft mixture into a bag and put into a dish with more water when defrosted to cook. I use a cheap packet of stuffing then mix in about 6 slices of bread chopped up or made into crumbs with a chopped onion, black pepper, and dried sage. Then mix in enough hot water to bind. I'm even considering cooking the turkey a few days earlier and slicing it up to freeze also making up gravy and freezing that as well. We do not carve at the table, so that would be a time saver too.
    Originally posted by jinny
    Forgot to say to fry the onions first before adding to the mix or it will be raw when the stuffing is cooked. My Dad used to add a beaten egg to the mix before cooking it in a loaf tin as this made it sliceable.
    I havent a bean to me name, but I am determined to have a great time this year. Reminds me of when I was bringing up my kids on my own, we just had a merry old time going over the top decorating the house to death and laughing at the cat running up the xmas tree. Thats the kind of things they remember from being little, not what I could'nt buy them.
    As Tiny Tim said God bless us everyone!
  • Caroline73
    Roast Potato
    I saw a thread a few weeks ago and now can't find it.

I'm doing a roast today and thought I could make use of the oven and cook loads of roasties and then freeze them for later on.

I have a couple of q's please

Should I take them out the oven when fully cooked or just before so they go into the freezer slightly undercooked? (I know to let them cool)

How do you heat them up afterwards - do you defrost or do they go straight in the oven?

Is it worth it from a taste point of view - I like mine crispy?

Thanks
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 1st Jan 09, 1:15 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 24,242 Thanks
    RosyRed
    I did this for Christmas day and I have loads left in the freezer,found it really useful.I cooked them in the oven as usual,but took them out before they got really golden,just slightly undercooked.Left to cool,then open froze on trays,and bagged up later.Just take out what you need,from frozen pop in a hot oven for 20 mins or so,perhaps a bit longer for you if you like them very crispy.Hope that helps.The other thread was about pre-preparing food for Xmas but I dont know how to do links sorry.HTH
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • Caroline73
    Thanks hun!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Jan 09, 2:20 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Caroline,

I do exactly as RosyRed does. I've added your thread to the original one to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Caroline73
    I went a bit mad and did enough potatoes for 3 extra meals. So smug now!

Thanks for the hints.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

63Posts Today

2,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin