Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 7th Jan 06, 6:33 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:33 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:33 PM
    Frozen/soaked peas, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a knob of butter, boil or microwave (approx 5 mins microwave, 10 mins boiling) and then mash/blend. You could also add a little fresh mint, or i will often use frozen minted peas.
  • genie
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:34 PM
    I already started soaking the dried peas and don't want to throw them out now, sorry

Edit: I just re read your post properly and see that you did say dried OR frozen peas! Opps!

I'm just in a dizz about this :O
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 7th Jan 06, 6:37 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:37 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:37 PM
    Thats ok, its a really simple recipe, but tastes lovely!!!!
    • withabix
    • By withabix 7th Jan 06, 6:45 PM
    • 8,959 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:45 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:45 PM
    Proper mushy peas are made from marrowfat peas, not your normal 'Birds Eye' etc.

You can probably only get proper ones up north. Same with Black pudding, Cumberland Sausage, decent cheese, pies and in fact any 'proper' food whatsoever etc...
    Last edited by withabix; 07-01-2006 at 6:58 PM.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • miacat
    • 7th Jan 06, 7:10 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 7:10 PM
    i love mushy peas but don't buy them because they all have food colourings in. tryed making my own but they wasn't the same.
    • Swan
    • By Swan 7th Jan 06, 7:27 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 7th Jan 06, 7:27 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 7:27 PM
    i love mushy peas but don't buy them because they all have food colourings in. tryed making my own but they wasn't the same.
    by miacat
    Asda do tinned Marrowfat peas with no colouring in, you have to look carefully for them as the tins are almost identical to the dyed ones ... if you give them a bit of a mash they make a fairly good mushy pea substitute
    • jaffa
    • By jaffa 9th Jan 06, 3:40 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jaffa
    • 9th Jan 06, 3:40 PM
    • 9th Jan 06, 3:40 PM
    I want to make mushy peas with the lunch tomorrow. Troble is I have never made them.

Currently I have dried peas soaking, do I just cook them for so long that they go mushy or do I have to add something else to them to mush them up?

Any advice appreciated :confused:
    by genie
    I usually soak dried peas overnight with the tablet provided or bicarb of soda.
    Drain and boil in fresh water - lovely, miles better than tinned or frozen mushy peas....
  • genie
    • 9th Jan 06, 6:16 PM
    • 9th Jan 06, 6:16 PM
    Frozen/soaked peas, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a knob of butter, boil or microwave (approx 5 mins microwave, 10 mins boiling) and then mash/blend. You could also add a little fresh mint, or i will often use frozen minted peas.
    by catowen

This is the method I used for the mushy peas, they turned out absolutely perfect! Thankyou all so much for your help. I know it wasn't a major request and I am quite a good cook, honest! But I was really stuck as I had never ever tried them before.

The OS board comes to the rescue again!!
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 9th Jan 06, 7:50 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Alison_B
    I always use the quick soak dried peas. I just add a little bit of sugar and some boiling water to the peas and cook until mushy enough. Make sure that you keep your eye on the pan though as they tend to absorb the water quickly.
    • ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 9th Jan 06, 9:20 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    I always use frozen peas only because i find it a bit quicker!!!!!!!!!!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 9th Jan 06, 9:31 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    I usually cheat and buy Lidls finest in tins!!
  • jules40
    mushy peas
    i soaked and cooked too many peas yesterday for tea and now have a huge pan of mushy peas left over can i freeze them?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

I freeze them... you usually just need to add a bit more water when you warm them through again.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • beedeedee
    • By beedeedee 21st Sep 07, 5:12 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    beedeedee
    Yes you can. We like them added to the curry sauce when we do chicken curry and rice......Mmm delish!
    • cardiogirl
    • By cardiogirl 21st Sep 07, 5:16 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    cardiogirl
    What sort of peas do you use? I have only had them from the chipshop - mmm delicious!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

You get them dried in little boxes, or big bags..."whitworths" i believe are one brand- you will find them with all the dried beans n pulses- You soak them over night, with a bicarbonate of soda tablet(to soften them) rinse, bring to the boil and cook until soft... and i have to add a bit of sugar and seasoning
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • jamanda
    • By jamanda 21st Sep 07, 9:28 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 8,092 Thanks
    jamanda
    I buy the huge packs and freeze them in marg tubs when cooked. It helps when you have forgotten to soak them or haven't any fresh veg. And it is cheap and good for you.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 21st Sep 07, 10:55 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I just love mushy peas, but my kids won't touch them so I do them and freeze the leftovers in portion sized tubs and just micro them when I feel like having them. I like them with my roast dinner.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • SUESMITH
    freeze beautifully - oh loves mushy pea butties so make lots of them
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

4,382Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin