Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Eagle_1
    Defrosting turkey
    • 23rd Dec 05, 10:17 PM
    Defrosting turkey 23rd Dec 05 at 10:17 PM
    Help !!!!!

How long can i keep a turkey in the fridge once defrosted ?

I normally buy a big turkey because we have a few people for Christmas dinner but this year there is only the three of us but i left the turkey out too early and its a small turkey but its defrosted now. Will it be ok in the fridge till Sunday ?

Thanks

edited to add: oops, I think i may have posted in wrong forum, feel free to move me moderators.
    Last edited by Eagle_1; 23-12-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Page 1
  • djohn2002uk
    • 23rd Dec 05, 10:42 PM
    • 23rd Dec 05, 10:42 PM
    Should be OK in the BOTTOM of the fridge where it's coldest, then Sunday morning get it in the oven early and cook it slowly.

Forgot to add. If cooking slowly, put a couple of whole peeled onions in the cavity to keep it moist.
    Last edited by djohn2002uk; 23-12-2005 at 10:44 PM.
  • Eagle_1
    • 23rd Dec 05, 10:46 PM
    • 23rd Dec 05, 10:46 PM
    Thanks very much

This year I have a smaller turkey and I also bought a fresh joint of beef so I please both the hubby and Daughter
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 23rd Dec 05, 11:01 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 23rd Dec 05, 11:01 PM
    • 23rd Dec 05, 11:01 PM
    Hi Eagle,

I think djohn's post is spot on. If you keep the turkey well chilled it'll be fine.

I'll move your post over to the MoneySaving Old Style board, where you will be able to get any more help you need.

Enjoy your turkey.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 23-12-2005 at 11:08 PM.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 24th Dec 05, 11:38 AM
    • 7,462 Posts
    • 32,116 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 24th Dec 05, 11:38 AM
    Defrosting a turkey crown
    • 24th Dec 05, 11:38 AM
    I took my 2.7kg turkey crown out of the freezer yesterday, and put on the bottom shelf of my fridge. Checked it this morning, and it is still fairly solid ! I have taken it out and it is now on the worktop in the the kitchen. I plan to start cooking at about 10 in the morning.

Will it be defrosted, and is there anything I can do to help it along ?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 24th Dec 05, 11:56 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 24th Dec 05, 11:56 AM
    • 24th Dec 05, 11:56 AM
    If you take a look at the thread on defrosting a turkey there's a good guidline site posted

You should be perfectly OK just defrosting in the fridge - but there are instructions and a calculator there that will help you to be sure.

Defrosting turkey
    Last edited by squeaky; 24-12-2005 at 11:58 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 26th Dec 05, 7:20 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    squiggles
    • 26th Dec 05, 7:20 PM
    • 26th Dec 05, 7:20 PM
    Is a turkey crown a turkies head? yuck
    • blue-kat
    • By blue-kat 26th Dec 05, 7:57 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    blue-kat
    • 26th Dec 05, 7:57 PM
    • 26th Dec 05, 7:57 PM
    no it's the breast joint, but still attached to the bones, also the wings.

we had a tesco organic turkey crown, it wasn't anything special, plus no juices to make gravy it was supposed to serve 4-6, can't see how unless they had bird-like appetites

will get a good chicken instead next year, for half the price and probably have more leftovers !
    -
    Katya
    • lucym
    • By lucym 26th Dec 05, 8:25 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    lucym
    • 26th Dec 05, 8:25 PM
    • 26th Dec 05, 8:25 PM
    We had an organic turkey crown (3.4kg)- with giblets.

It was delicious, fed seven of us with plenty left for today’s buffet meal, a pie that I threw together and stuck in the freezer (using the left over gravy and bread sauce) and enough in the fridge for a main meal for tomorrow.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 26th Dec 05, 9:04 PM
    • 17,946 Posts
    • 39,873 Thanks
    Glad
    we had a turkey crown from Iceland, good value and very tasty,
    fed 6 of us and plenty left for 2 more meals for 4,

had plenty of juices for gravy too, I just cook it in the same way I cook a full bird
    Last edited by Glad; 27-12-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • djohn2002uk
    no it's the breast joint, but still attached to the bones, also the wings.

Katya
    by blue-kat
    No bones or wings on ours.
    We had the same as Glad, from Iceland and it was the easiest ever to carve and really tasty after putting butter under the skin.

I will say that it was the first time we'd bought a Turkey Crown and after opening the box thought "Oh my god, what have we done here" looked just like it was going to resemble Turkey Breasts. But what a pleasant surprise as if you didn't know you wouldn't know the difference when it's carved and on the plate. Only thing was it was stuffed which we didn't want as I like sausage meat cooked in the turkey so my wife turned it over and took the stuffing out and put the sausage meat in and then had to sew it up to hold it together. And it was great!
    Last edited by djohn2002uk; 26-12-2005 at 9:29 PM. Reason: Adding a PS
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 19th Dec 06, 7:54 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Frozen Turkey dilemma
    I bought a frozen Finest Free Range turkey in Tescos today and brought it home to store in the Freezer for a couple of days in time to defrost for Christmas lunch, however when I got it home it was too big to fit in the upright freezer drawers so I have put it in a roasting in and put it in the fridge with the thermostat on its coldest. Do you think it will be okay until Christmas Eve, when I intend to cook it? I am a bit bothered about it!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Jay-Jay
    Is it still frozen? If so you could take one of the drawers out of the freezer and create some more space?

It should say on how long it will take to defrost in the fridge, 72 hours?
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• comping cat
    • By comping cat 19th Dec 06, 7:59 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    What is the use by date on it? It should say use within ## days of defrosting, and if you are defrosting a large bird in the fridge, it will take a few days (especially if you turn the temp on the fridge up (or should that be down!!?)) to defrost, so you might be ok.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 19th Dec 06, 8:40 PM
    • 3,967 Posts
    • 7,491 Thanks
    culpepper
    We have had to take out the middle drawer in ours a few times as Jay-Jay suggested. It still stays frozen in there without the drawer front.
    • mouseymousey99
    • By mouseymousey99 19th Dec 06, 8:49 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    mouseymousey99
    Hi RS, I did the same thing a couple of years ago - here is my non-pc solution (it worked!!!) put mine in the garden shed as it was so cold out there.....I'm sure yours will be just fine - all you gotta do is make sure its cooked through when the time comes....best...Mx
    • betterbargains4u
    • By betterbargains4u 19th Dec 06, 10:43 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 2,529 Thanks
    betterbargains4u
    It should be okay as it will take a couple of days to defrost in the fridge anyway (dependant on size obviously)
    If you are worried..why don't you cook it when it does defrost, slice it and then reheat in microwave on the day.
  • Jay-Jay
    I'll be buying my frozen turkey tomorrow (Thursday) and defrosting it inside a cool box in the shed. I'll be cooking it on Christmas eve morning.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 23rd Dec 06, 11:03 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Thaw out your turkey!
    Just a reminder for those who have forgotten! Get your turkey out of the freezer! Do not put it in a bath of hot water etc etc. Thaw it out at room temperature.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Inc0gnit0
    only got a little one.. 7lbs

it's sitting in the fridge now, hopefully it be ok by monday
    The reason we fail so often is because we trade what we want in our lives for what we want at that moment
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,303Posts Today

7,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin