Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 16th Sep 07, 7:56 PM
    • 1,148Posts
    • 4,012Thanks
    vixtress
    worried about delias mincemeat!
    • 16th Sep 07, 7:56 PM
    worried about delias mincemeat! 16th Sep 07 at 7:56 PM
    yes i know there are more important things to worry about and i obviously need to get out more but.................

i made mincemeat for the first time ever the other day and its lovely. i have tucked it away in a nice dark cupboard and dont intend touching it until xmas. but............

i have just been reading the 'what not do do recipe thread' and some made the mincemeat, followed the recipe to the letter and it went mouldy after 2 weeks now many of my xmas pressies are gonna be relying on this mincemeat and i was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if so what can i do to stop it?

thanks, vix
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
Page 1
  • MRSMCAWBER
    • 16th Sep 07, 8:13 PM
    • 16th Sep 07, 8:13 PM
    Hi there

If you have it in the jars...pour extra alcohol over the top...will help keep it, and heck will it taste nice... i have 2 jars that i made last year that are going to be used this xmas...and they taste stunning... not a delia recipe though.... but alcohol will see it is fine for xmas
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • sallya
    • 16th Sep 07, 8:16 PM
    • 16th Sep 07, 8:16 PM
    I make Delia's mincemeat every year - Ii still have a couple of jars left from last christmas and it's still absolutely fine. As long as you stir it regularly while it's cooling, everything gets sealed in the melted fat and will not go mouldy.

It doesn't look great when the suet has cooled (everything has a pale white coating) but it tastes fantastic!

Sal
    x
  • nearlynewbie
    • 16th Sep 07, 9:30 PM
    • 16th Sep 07, 9:30 PM
    I've made various mincemeats in the past for presents and they've all kept well. They wer all made with suet and carefully stirrred and kept fine-.of course you must sterilise the jars etc > hard to know what went worng with the mouldy ones on the thread!
  • poodlehorse
    • 17th Sep 07, 5:25 AM
    • 17th Sep 07, 5:25 AM
    I made Delia's for the first time last year and it has kept very well. No problems at all and it tastes heavenly. You'll be fine for crimbo pressies.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 17th Sep 07, 6:25 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:25 AM
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:25 AM
    I too have been making this recipe for many years, and never had a problem keeping it. Did you lightly cook everything as it says in the recipe? That stops the apple from fermenting, and covers all the fruit in a thin layer of suet, which preserves it.

Clean, sterile jars and lids are important, too.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • scrimpingbadger
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:34 AM
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:34 AM
    I made Delia's a couple of years ago, but I may have made a mistake (me? surely not?) somewhere along the line because it grew and grew (maybe fermented?)
    However,I gave some to my ma and she loved it (even if there was too much).
    Oddly, I was just getting ingredients ready to make some for this year and am not going to 'test' the brandy beforehand this time.

Ah, so that's where I went wrong..........
  • Hapless
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:51 AM
    • 17th Sep 07, 6:51 AM
    I'm making 2 lots this year, one with Brandy and one with whiskey.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget 420

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 17th Sep 07, 9:04 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    • 17th Sep 07, 9:04 AM
    • 17th Sep 07, 9:04 AM
    thanks for that
    i did sterilise the jars, used waxed discs and the cellophane discs under the lids (just washed the lids, didnt sterilise them though)
    i followed the recipe to the letter but not sure i had the oven hot enough as the suet didnt fully melt. i did stir it well so i think i will just have to keep my finger crossed. hope the suet bit is ok, mind you a lot of recipes you dont melt the suet at all so i am hoping it will be ok.
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 17th Sep 07, 9:44 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    I've been making it for years and have never had a problem with mould. I have a pot of last year's, and that's still OK too

It's important that you cook the ingredients in the oven. The suet should melt and, as others have said, it's getting everything coated with this which protects it.

I've used rum instead of brandy for the last few years. Yum.
  • floyd
    Has anyone ever made Delias mincemeat in glass kilner jars without using wax paper on top? Does it keep OK?

Reason I ask is because I have ordered wax discs but they won't arrive until after the weekend and I need to make the mincemeat this weekend. I dont want it to go mouldy
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 10th Sep 08, 2:41 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    Has anyone ever made Delias mincemeat in glass kilner jars without using wax paper on top? Does it keep OK?

Reason I ask is because I have ordered wax discs but they won't arrive until after the weekend and I need to make the mincemeat this weekend. I dont want it to go mouldy
    Originally posted by floyd
    I made some last year but have not checked it. It is in a box in storage. I will get it out when I get home and have a look.
    • oldMcDonald
    • By oldMcDonald 10th Sep 08, 2:51 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    oldMcDonald
    I went a little cold when I read this OP as I have a bowlful doing the 12 hour soak in my kitchen right now! Thanks everyone who said they had got on ok with Delias recipe - I thought 'If it's Delia then it can't go wrong', then read this!!

• floyd
    Well I have made it and potted it up in Le Parfait jars. I probably wouldn't use them again as the rubber seals were a swine to get on as you are not supposed to put them in the oven with the rings on. This meant that I spent far too long faffing about with the jars before putting the mincemeat in so I hope I didn't contaminate them.
    I put circles of greaseproof on top as my wax discs haven't arrived and I also added 2 extra teaspoons of brandy on top to sterilize everything! Can't you tell I am paranoid about this!
    I really hope it keeps OK, I need to find somewhere cool and dry in our rather warm double glazed house!
    • Mummy Jo
    • By Mummy Jo 6th Nov 08, 5:13 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Mummy Jo
    Question about Christmas Mincemeat - Delia recipe
    Hi all

I am hoping that once again your fountain of knowledge can help me.
    I am making Christmas mincemeat from Delia's cookbook. It has soaked, been in the oven for the necessary three hours and I've just mixed it all together having put in the brandy. Here is the problem:
    There is still loads of suet that has not dissolved. Should there be? I don't actually like the stuff so have no idea what it should look like. My hubby reckons that "there is too much white stuff!":confused:
    What should I do?
    Put it in Jars
    Put it back in the oven? If I do what about the Brandy will I need to add more? Will it evaporate?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Jo
    • poppet
    • By poppet 6th Nov 08, 5:18 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    poppet
    I think you can expect some of the suet to not have melted - but most of it should. It wont hurt to put it back in the over for a bit longer - just keep and eye on it in case it burns. I would pop it back in for 10 minutes and see what happens.
    • rockie4
    • By rockie4 6th Nov 08, 5:37 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    I made this last year, not all the suet dissolves, put it in jars it'll be fine!

I did 'make sure' by pouring an extra half teaspoonish of extra brandy over the top though
    I've got a jar left and it's still ok!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Nov 08, 5:43 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I didn't like this method of making mincemeat. When the mincemeat cools the suet solidifies again and it doesn't look very attractive.

Mincemeat doesn't need cooking in order to keep, just plenty of sugar and alcohol The only reason for the suet is historical. It is a leftover from when mincemeat used to contain meat.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Nov 08, 8:24 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    When you cook the mincemeat (in pies of puddings) the suet will all disappear. I've used this recipe for years, and have no problem with traces of suet in the mincemeat

I didn't like this method of making mincemeat. When the mincemeat cools the suet solidifies again and it doesn't look very attractive.

Mincemeat doesn't need cooking in order to keep, just plenty of sugar and alcohol The only reason for the suet is historical. It is a leftover from when mincemeat used to contain meat.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Would you share your recipe, please

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • tiddly widdly
    • By tiddly widdly 6th Nov 08, 8:24 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    tiddly widdly
    This is my mincemeat recipe and I have to say it is absolutely delicious. It doesnt have the sharpness of most mincemeats. Definately a luxury one.

225g sultanas
    450g raisins
    450g currants
    350 g suet
    1 large cooking apple
    350g soft brown sugar
    1tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    50ml of guiness
    brandy
    juice of 1 lemon.

Combine everything together and mix very well. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.

Push the mixture into jars leaving no air gaps.

This needs at least 2 weeks before using and only improves with age.

Enjoy, its very moreish
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,287Posts Today

8,335Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin