Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 4th Nov 08, 12:42 PM
    • 1,233Posts
    • 3,567Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    High Street Haggling Discussion
    • 4th Nov 08, 12:42 PM
    0 WOW
    High Street Haggling Discussion 4th Nov 08 at 12:42 PM

Hi, we've written a High Street Haggling guide with 20 top techniques and sector-by-sector strategies.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? How much did you save? What are your top bartering tips?

Thanks
    for your help

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-12-2011 at 1:17 PM.
Page 9
    • xxxJOJOxxx
    • By xxxJOJOxxx 26th Sep 15, 10:29 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    xxxJOJOxxx
    I use to work in a high street clothes store. I'm a hard lady but occasional ill knock off a couple off £££'s

* I'd only knock money off to nice, friendly people. Even more so if I've been chatting to them in store. Rude or people who 'expect it' never got any
    * New staff are unlikely to discount, it takes confident to do it (after all you don't want to lose your job)
    * Chatting away with staff can sometimes reveal sale dates, offers coming up
    * buttons missing etc. tends to give you a standard 10% off on the label but most salespeople who knock off a little extra if asked to clear the item
    * A little check could make the store person consider you a 'student'

Be Nice, It goes a long way x
    Debt Free Since 05/09/2015
    Breath out the past, breath in the future Big Dreams Start Small
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 27th Nov 15, 9:15 AM
    • 4,986 Posts
    • 22,860 Thanks
    calicocat
    . .

Was in TKmax yesterday, found a top I liked but it had damage and would need repairing.

I did look for one undamaged but couldn't find one. Anyhow......at the till I pointed this out (nicely), and got 33% off........yay....result.

I haven't really haggled before......might try it again now....
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early........ Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
    • milocat
    • By milocat 11th Dec 15, 7:08 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    milocat
    My husband has been going on and on about getting a drone for Christmas! Our budget is £50 each this year, and the one he wanted was £60 for a large one with bells on, or £40 for a bog standard, sort of plasticky thing.
    In our town there is a stall that sells them and other gadgets every year. I went in early this morning and asked a load of questions, telling the man that I was useless with technology and didn't understand what the point in the item was... I don't generally recommend slagging the item off if you want a discount! After about 5 minutes I said I would have to think about it and began to walk away. He called me back and said if I would purchase the drone today he would give me student discount off the price (10%). I said my husband works in the shopping centre and has a card that already entitles him to a discount centrewide of 15% (half true - only in certain stores, and of varying percentage). He believed me and said he would offer it to me for £51. Luckily having read this thread earlier, I pulled a trick out of my sleeve and asked him about refunds/replacements, as the pop-up shop vanishes by Boxing Day. He said he's never had a problem, and can't offer a guarantee on it, but would offer me a further 10% off marked price if I would take it. I think he just wanted me to stop asking questions! In the end it came to £45 (and a free carrier bag!).
    So I got the larger item for only £5 more than the medium sized one, and came in under budget.
    I felt very MSE as I sashayed away
    Real LBM: £12,495.15 May 2015.
    Paid off to date: 8.1%

Laura 20.08.14 ♡ Ivy 05.07.13
    "...within me there lay an invincible summer."
    • Scottishmummy
    • By Scottishmummy 6th Mar 16, 5:15 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Scottishmummy
    I got given some money for my birthday and decided to use it to buy a handbag as the one I was using had had a broken zip for nearly a year. I had a particular style in mind but no matter where I went I couldn't find it. Then heading back to the car my husband happened to look in a shop window that hired kilts. There on a shelf were a couple of bags. We went in and I took down one of the bags. It was covered in dust and I said to the salesperson it had obviously been there a while. I um-ed and ah-ed a bit then asked if there was any chance of a discount. She said as I had pointed out it had been there a while I could have it for £50. It should have been £85. Result. It was also stuffed with carrier bags used to help it sit properly on the shelf and she left them in there. 8 decent thick carrier bags for free
    • poundsign
    • By poundsign 15th Mar 16, 9:47 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    poundsign
    Join Lewis price match
    I tried John Lewis price match today for a Whistles dress. Whistles were offering 25% discount but no longer had the size I needed so I tried John Lewis website. The dress was available in the size I needed but JL we're not offering the discount I filled in the on line form and my price match was accepted. However there was one major snag, the price match would only apply as long as I needed a size 16 as JL would only match what was available. not quite what I expected from Jl and one lost sale for them.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 16th Mar 16, 9:21 AM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    dlusman
    I tried John Lewis price match today for a Whistles dress. Whistles were offering 25% discount but no longer had the size I needed so I tried John Lewis website. The dress was available in the size I needed but JL we're not offering the discount I filled in the on line form and my price match was accepted. However there was one major snag, the price match would only apply as long as I needed a size 16 as JL would only match what was available. not quite what I expected from Jl and one lost sale for them.
    Originally posted by poundsign
    So you expected JL to price match against a non-existant item ?????

Some T&Cs from the jl site ( which I think are fair enough ) :

The prices we match

We match prices publicly available to all customers, based on those displayed in a shop, on the high street competitor's own website, or the first price quoted to us over the phone. The price has to apply to an identical individual product in terms of make, model, size or colour. We match bundles only on a case by case basis, and we don't match special prices only available to certain customers – such as negotiated prices or prices for groups like account holders or club members. We don't match prices only available via 3rd party websites, or with voucher codes.
    Stock availability

We carry a wide range of lines, and the competitor has to have the line actually in stock (rather than available only to order) for us to match the price. For products that we deliver, we ask that the competitor is able to deliver in equivalent timescales to us, and on products that require delivery, we'll take delivery charges into account when comparing prices. Our standard delivery service is free for orders of £50 and over.
    • Serena03
    • By Serena03 16th Mar 16, 12:36 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Serena03
    I always haggle particularly if the item is last on display, slightly dusty or has a slight mark, cut or rip. I think it's only fair and when i used to work in retail you are allowed to give at least 10% off if the item is slightly damaged or dirty. As a consumer you have a right to ask at least! Great bargain Scottish Mummy!
    • TartanPennySaver
    • By TartanPennySaver 5th Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    TartanPennySaver
    I've tried to encourage my kids to haggle confidently. This started in a market in Majorca where I saved him a couple of euros on a mobile phone cover. He now seldom buys anything without looking for a discount or freebie and is now better at it than me.
    • EzeJ
    • By EzeJ 7th Sep 16, 12:11 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EzeJ
    Was buying a dress. Original price of the dress was £29.99 but was on sale for £19.99. I saw a bit of a thread kind of seam with bits of fluffy thread hanging out. In fact, you could just cut that off and the dress would be normal. I, however, haggled based on this and only paid and offered to pay £15 but eventually paid £15.99 for it because they could only reduce it by a further 20%. These discounts are there to be given away and sometimes the stores are desperate to let these items Go for next to nothing.
    • 1dw
    • By 1dw 30th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    1dw
    Debenhams - online chat
    I wanted to buy a pair of clarks boots in debenhams, already in the sale, reduced from £100 to £80 (Clarks are selling them for £110).

I opened an online chat and said they are a bit above my budget of £70, but I really like them, can they help.

First response was a standard cut and past about having sale periods at different times of year, can't help, sorry.

I replied, saying I was disappointed and how customer service in the past has been great, I'm sure there was something they could do for me, it would make my day, wife wouldn't want me to go above my budget (all true).

To which they said, purchase it, and contact us and we will refund £10 as a goodwill gesture.

Boom.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 11th Aug 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    kah22
    Extra Points From Boots
    OK maybe not a great result but a result nevertheless and it gives me confidence to do it again

I had bought a Fitbit Charge HR from Boots and about eleven months after the sale it developed a fault in the wrist band. A common fault it appears

Contacted Boots online and they just said send it back for a full refund. No quibbling at all

Anyway there was a hiccup with the refund. Without knowing it my card was damaged, the account frozen and Boots couldn't put the payment into it and I was away from home at the time! By the time M&S got a new card to me some time had passed from I first contacted Boots

So I had the new Fitbit sitting in my basket for several days then emailed customer service and asked, politely, for a goodwill gesture. While I didn't get a discount they did add 600 extra points onto my account, worth £6, not much but something

I must say that my dealings with Boots customer service was second to none and I've bought my new Fitbit 2 from them tonight
    Politicians have had three votes on Brexit and they’re looking for a fourth! Why can’t we have a second one?
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 17th Dec 18, 2:56 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    Exodi
    I've done a fair amount of haggling anywhere I can (my better half hates it and avoids being with me when I do)!

My best, by a long shot, was her engagement ring from Ernest Jones (conveniently opposite H Samuels).

The ring was listed for £850 at the time (this wasn't on sale or had any discount), I had in my head that I wanted at least half off before I went in.

So I started talking to the sales assistant,manning the floor; I mentioned how I wanted to pick up a ring before my holiday so I could propose and I guess I liked the look of that one (in truth, my other half had already picked this particular ring so in reality I really had no choice). I mentioned how it wasn't on sale and whether she could take some off the price as it seemed nonsensical to wait for it to go on sale as I had my (imaginary) holiday soon!

Sadly (but luckily for me as she was the only person on the floor and I didn't want to build a queue) she couldn't reduce pricing on rings and instead got the Assistant Store Manager to help. The store manager said she could offer it for the last sales price of £599 as a gesture of goodwill but I said I'd seen the same style diamond and band for £350 from H Samuels (partial bluff - it was somewhat cheaper but wasn't comparable). She said she categorically couldn't reduce the ring further so I mentioned I can buy it online from their site when it's on sale and get an online discount for cheaper than she was offering me but I really wanted to help boost the stores figures but again pressed I would have to get this ring from next door (the shops are literally opposite each other so it helped me greatly).

So she then gets the Store Manager (to be honest, I was getting a bit fatigued replaying the whole story of events) and I mentioned I liked the look of this ring and ideally wanted them to match £350 they have across the road because I prefer their store. The store manager grimaced but reluctantly after a little gentle nudging conceded on £380 (presumably she just wanted to one up my figure slightly).

So yeah, £850 to £380! The thing is, I think you need to be aware of the various margins various companies have on items. Retailers like this have notoriously high mark-ups on these sort of items, and they probably they still made several hundred £'s on the ring!
    Know what you don't
    • Lizzienewbie1
    • By Lizzienewbie1 17th Mar 19, 8:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lizzienewbie1
    How to haggle ?
    I need to buy a new bed and I honestly did not realise haggling was an option.

Not sure if I could hold my nerve enough to haggle any tips ?
    • kah22
    • By kah22 18th Mar 19, 7:54 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    kah22
    I need to buy a new bed and I honestly did not realise haggling was an option.

Not sure if I could hold my nerve enough to haggle any tips ?
    Originally posted by Lizzienewbie1
    I know where you are coming from, I’m the same
    Politicians have had three votes on Brexit and they’re looking for a fourth! Why can’t we have a second one?
    • A to B
    • By A to B 14th Apr 19, 5:06 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    A to B
    I use to work in a high street clothes store. I'm a hard lady but occasional ill knock off a couple off £££'s

* I'd only knock money off to nice, friendly people. Even more so if I've been chatting to them in store. Rude or people who 'expect it' never got any
    Be Nice, It goes a long way x
    Originally posted by xxxJOJOxxx
    So no deals for autistic people
    They might be cute inside, but can't show it.
    No wonder why life is hard for them .
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Apr 19, 8:07 AM
    • 22,153 Posts
    • 59,788 Thanks
    Pollycat
    So no deals for autistic people
    They might be cute inside, but can't show it.
    No wonder why life is hard for them .
    Originally posted by A to B
    I do appreciate your sentiment.

But the post you quoted dates back to Sept 2015.
    And the poster hasn't logged on to MSE for a year.
    • A to B
    • By A to B 15th Apr 19, 8:58 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    A to B
    I do appreciate your sentiment.

But the post you quoted dates back to Sept 2015.
    And the poster hasn't logged on to MSE for a year.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Post is old, but the problem is quite common. When somebody is giving discounts based on their preference of communication skills, it is discriminating towards people who are physically lacking those skills. Anyway, it's April - autism awareness month, good to mention that there are individuals, approximately 1 in 50, that by nature can't be brilliant at communication.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,114Posts Today

7,233Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin