Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 30th Oct 08, 12:17 PM
    • 1,821Posts
    • 1,973Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    DFSD's motivational ramblings...
    • 30th Oct 08, 12:17 PM
    DFSD's motivational ramblings... 30th Oct 08 at 12:17 PM
    'Oh no, not another diary' I hear you say...

Don't worry, I don't expect anyone to really read this (!), but am going to record my progress in tackling our HUGE debts; to keep myself motivated and to record the little milestones along the way. Then I can remind myself how well I'm doing at times when I feel like giving in. If anyone wished to 'listen' to my mutterings or ramble on with me then feel free to join in!

So, a little about me to start... I'm nearing the big 3.0. within the next year, got married in the past year to my lovely hubby and we're wanting to start a family in the next few years. Unfortunately, for various reasons in the past we've accrued 2 massive loans and have one nasty credit card balance left to deal with and, at the moment, could not afford to have children with our present debt repayment. We would also like to save some money and build up a bit of financial security, not having to live payday to payday as we do presently!

SO... after a few flickers on the old lightbulb, it finally flashed on and stayed on for us about 4 or 5 months ago. We realised we HAD to stick to some sort of plan in order to live our lives to the full.

At that time, our debt was probably in the region of around £33K, if not a little more, all on loans & credit cards and around a £500 overdraft each month.
    After many evenings of drawing up budget-sheets, searching these forums and checking out the snowball calculator (I LOVE THE SNOWBALL!), we've managed to get our debt down to under £27K. It will take us some years to be debt free (last loan repayment is in 2015 if we don't pay it off before) but at least there's now a light at the end of the tunnel!

So that's the story so far, let the rambling begin!...
    Last edited by debtfreesomeday; 30-10-2008 at 1:01 PM.
Page 1
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 30th Oct 08, 12:27 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    • 30th Oct 08, 12:27 PM
    • 30th Oct 08, 12:27 PM
    Well after exhausting our piles of cds on music magpie last month (£57 made there ) , I've recently tried selling some old books from uni on Amazon. Wasn't sure how it would go, or if any would sell, but I've made nearly £50 in the last 2 weeks! Am well chuffed! Another one sold today for £13 profit, so have paid another £13 off on our credit card. It's great to see it going down.

Gonna have a look at the cupboards of cookbooks tonight and check out if some are worth selling. I've never even used half of them, sadly my culinary skills have not drastically increased through ownership of so many lovely foodie books!
    Last edited by debtfreesomeday; 30-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 30th Oct 08, 12:31 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    • 30th Oct 08, 12:31 PM
    • 30th Oct 08, 12:31 PM
    Ooh, just checked my email and have a voucher for a free 'pre-opening evening' meal for two at a Wagamamas due to open soon locally. That's our Friday sorted!
    I remember registering for this but never heard anything until now. It's a bit of a drive to the town, (about 20 - 30 mins) but we'll make an evening of it after work and go shopping before the meal to try and get a few more Christmas presents sorted. What a lovely treat to end the week on!
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 30th Oct 08, 1:27 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    • 30th Oct 08, 1:27 PM
    Today's DFW things to do:
    • 30th Oct 08, 1:27 PM
    To keep me on the DFW track...

Today I will/have:
    Charged my phone at work
    Bought breakfast & lunch to work
    Put a casserole in the slow cooker for dinner tonight (not sure how long this new, organised, domestic goddess in me will stick around for!)
    Go to gym to use free membership
    Pack up Amazon sale to send tomorrow - look into getting postage online, read on here somewhere that you can print off & pay postage on Royal Mail's website, that will be a great help as post office is a bit out of the way
    Have a NSD (apart from CC payment but that was made from Amazon sale)
    Make packed lunch tonight for work tomorrow
    Print off free wagamama meal voucher
    Check online banking etc.
    Chase up Paypal payment from lightspeed survey - c'mon, where art thou dosh?

Think that'll do...
  • ltm07
    • 30th Oct 08, 1:37 PM
    • 30th Oct 08, 1:37 PM
    First of all, well done on sticking around, I think most of us have felt the urge to give up at some time or other. Well done also on shifting 6k of debt in such a short time, that is amazing! All the best!
    Debt at LBM(July 1st 07)-35,053.92 Debt on 1st Anniversary of LBM(July 1st 08)-33,170.11 (31st January 09)-32,318.73Paid off so far 2,735.19(7.8%) Average paid off p.m. 143.95 L/H supporter 115 DFD target February 2018 DFD March 2028. PAD(Started 28/12/08) 253.77 10 a day Feb 110/280 WEDDING Paid off 1,585.96 Saved Up 925.40
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 30th Oct 08, 3:00 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    • 30th Oct 08, 3:00 PM
    • 30th Oct 08, 3:00 PM
    Thanks ltm07, it's been a tough slog getting everything in order and starting to make a plan, but now we're getting into the habit I'm hoping it will become second nature. Can't imagine what it will be like having an extra 700+ a month in the bank when we finally become debt free!
  • SC01
    • 30th Oct 08, 3:09 PM
    • 30th Oct 08, 3:09 PM
    Sounds like you've got a clear plan!

Enjoy your meal at Wagamamas - I love it there but can never justify the price when there's a very cheap and equally nice noodle place round the corner!
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 30th Oct 08, 3:19 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    • 30th Oct 08, 3:19 PM
    • 30th Oct 08, 3:19 PM
    Thanks SCO1, believe it or not, I've never been to a wagamamas before so I'm really looking forward to it! According to the voucher we get a side order each, a main meal each and two drinks each, FREE! I think they use the evening as a staff training exercise or something.
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 30th Oct 08, 6:24 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    • 30th Oct 08, 6:24 PM
    A lesson learnt!
    • 30th Oct 08, 6:24 PM
    Well I've learnt a lesson tonight!

I've just been on Royal Mail's website to print off and pay postage online for an Amazon sale made this morning, the lady who bought the book lives in Switzerland and I forgot how heavy it was - looks like it's gonna cost me nearly 10 out of my 13 profit to post the damn thing! Stupid me, didn't think. Have just gone back to my Amazon account and am now selling books in the uk only!

Oh well, I suppose I'll know for next time.

My slow cooker casserole didn't work too great tonight either - was a bit odd tasting! Not sure what went wrong, but I find our slow cooker meals are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they're amazing, other times they're awful! Think I need some more practice...

Well there goes my good mood I'd found halfway through the day!

Was going to Vacumn the house now but I think a bit of 'time out' in the bath is calling louder than the hoover...
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 31st Oct 08, 8:12 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    That's it! I'm never going to Tesco ever again! I find our local one disgusting for overpriced, poor quality goods, a filthy store and rude staff. After stopping off to buy some goods for a charity event in work this morning, I was astounded at how rude some 'customer service' staff can be. To cut a long story short, I was shortchanged at a self serve till - just one of those things, didn't annoy me or anything - so politely waited for a free member of staff to be told she didn't have time to deal with me. Next staff member was incredibly rude as I couldn't remember which till it was out of 2, as lady behind me had swapped lanes. It was one or the other! Grrrrrrr.

Anyway, after some deep breaths and chocolate cake, I'm once again, calm

So, DFW stuff to do today:

Bring breakfast & lunch to work (oops - had chocolate cake instead of brekkie - was for charity so that's ok I guess)
    Check online banking, CC, Quidco
    Check for Amazon sales - listed one more book last night, forgot to list the cook books!
    Go for free meal at wagamamas tonight
    Look for freebies on the boards
    Handwashed a few bits this morning and hung on the line to dry (or freeze solid in this weather)
    Post Amazon sale, birthday card and voucher earned from Pigsback as a pressie
    That's about it I think... oh, and eat some more cake
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 31st Oct 08, 8:49 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    10 from lightspeed surveys finally showed up in my paypal account, so that's another 10 just paid off the credit card
    Hopefully, I'll manage to clear as much as possible before the 0% runs out next August...
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 31st Oct 08, 2:50 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    Just had an email to say I'd won a cd in a competition.
    Started entering a few competitions from this site a few months ago and never won anything so was on the verge of not bothering anymore; shall now carry on and wait for my BIG win!
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 31st Oct 08, 3:30 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 19,562 Thanks
    savingholmes
    It sounds like you've been making really good progess over the last few months - congratulations. Has it all been from your main salaries and cutting back or has it mostly been from selling things, new income or what?
    [CENTER] Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 38840 @ 13/7/19 26,881 @0%
    Target MFD July 2031 March 28 owe 145551 @13/7/19 145,180 @1.7%
  • MrsAudus2b
    Good luck with your diary debtfreesomeday - from one "what small dfw have you done today" to another!

Will be following with interest

xxx
    Joint debt with OH at LBM Sept 08 (excluding mortgage & student loan) - 34,069

Getting married 05/09/09

To lose for the big day (lb) 2/51
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 1st Nov 08, 1:23 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    Thanks MrsAudus2b, good luck with your DFW journey too xx

savingholmes: 99% of it has been from our salaries really. It all started when we kept all our food & grocery receipts for a month as we couldn't figure out where the extra 400 - 500 a month was disappearing to - we soon found out with a shock! We were just buying stuff as and when we needed or fancied something. It kick-started the rest of the budgeting and planning. We've drastically cut back on groceries and have cleared 2 credit cards with the help of the snowball calculator. Also worked out the equivalent monthly cost for annual bills such as car tax, house & car insurance and we save for it monthly so don't end up paying it full whack when it's due. That's helped a great deal too. Any extra little bits we've made from selling stuff have just helped 'chip' at the CC bill really, and helped clear the clutter!

DFSD x
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 1st Nov 08, 1:32 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    We sold our sofas today, in readiness for the new ones which we ordered a while back. We made 250 which has gone straight into the fund for the new ones which we start paying for next August (0%). We're putting money away every month for them too so we should be able to pay them off in full instead of paying it monthly.
    I sold another book on Amazon today - another 4 profit. Every little helps as they say! Also picked up our freebie/comp Grolsch glasses from the post office this morning, they're actually quite nice, I was surprised!
    Free meal was great last night too, and feels like we have had more of a weekend already than usual - and it's only Saturday afternoon!

Back to the cleaning now, its amazing how much dust you find when you shift a sofa...
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 3rd Nov 08, 7:20 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    Monday morning - urgh - back in work at the job I hate, but it pays the bills, well, most of them!

Not a great DFW weekend... it started well with a freebie meal and selling our sofas on Saturday. Yesterday, however, I ended up putting 140 on our cleared egg card... grrrr.... Will clear it next payday but really didn't want to have to use it again.
    The whole debt situation all got a bit much for me yesterday. Sometimes I get so tired with not being able to afford simple things and working so hard to clear the debts that it becomes overwhelming and I feel like it's never going to get any better. I get tired of 'making do', even though I know we are a lot better off than a lot of people. After a few tears and a cup of tea, I managed to get a grip again :-)

We also did quite a large Christmas present shop online (via Quidco of course!) and spent nearly 40. It should all be pretty much covered by the budget so we should be ok and not go overdrawn if we don't spend anymore 'unecessaries' for the next 3 weeks! Something tells me it's going to be a long rest of month...
    Checked my bank balance and there's less in there than I thought so I'm going to have to check the budget sheet when I get home. Although none of my Amazon/Paypal payments have shown up in my bank account yet so that could be where the rest of it is!
    On a plus, sold another book today on Amazon. Only 3.00 (well, about 2.00 by the time I've posted it!), but it all helps I guess and that's another book cleared from the pile!

Today I have/need to:

• Check online banking / cc payment gone through
    • Check for surveys
    • Check Amazon account & package another book to post
    • Have brought breakfast & lunch to work
    • Store cupboard dinner for us both
    • Have a NSD!
    • Check the budget sheet tonight
    • Maybe enter a few more competitions
    • Use our free gym membership tonight to de-stress!
    Last edited by debtfreesomeday; 03-11-2008 at 7:23 AM.
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 3rd Nov 08, 12:29 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    What a miserable day... I'm feeling so down today about these debts, I'm really holding back the tears sat here at my desk. I feel like my life is in limbo for the next X number of years until we're debt free. I'm stuck in this awful job with no friends here, and no prospects, doing the same thing every day. Unfortunately there's no jobs round here that pay so well so I really am stuck as we can't afford to take a pay cut. I just don't know how I'm going to do this for so many more years.
  • MrsAudus2b
    to you debtfreesomeday.

I'm afraid I have little advice, only sympathy and reassurance you are not the only one.

I've spent so many nights worrying about mine and OH's debts. Though we can get by, there have so many times when I have just wanted to do 'normal' stuff - get some new winter clothes, have a night out with OH when we can both have some drinks and can afford a taxi, rather than one of us always driving and afford to replace our boiler which is rubbish and on its way out

With getting married next year and starting back at uni the following month, it just feels never-ending sometimes, especially due to the debts we have. We'd love to have children when I am qualified (2011) but it sometimes feel we'll never be able to afford to.

So I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and I hope things seem better soon - get a hot cup of tea down you...or even better, a glass of cheap plonk when you get home!

Love xxxx
    Last edited by MrsAudus2b; 03-11-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    Joint debt with OH at LBM Sept 08 (excluding mortgage & student loan) - 34,069

Getting married 05/09/09

To lose for the big day (lb) 2/51
    • debtfreesomeday
    • By debtfreesomeday 3rd Nov 08, 1:14 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    debtfreesomeday
    Thanks for the hugs MrsAudus2B!
    Sorry to go on and moan, I think I'm just having one of those down days.
    I know what you mean about doing 'normal' things, I can't wait 'til we're able to do things like that again. I said to hubby last night that I was just fed up with our bargain basement life where everything has to be knocked down or damaged - I'd just like to buy us some nice new things for our house and some clothes that actually fit me! Obviously we don't need them, and I'm very fortunate to have a lovely home, but I just get so tired of working so hard in a job I hate and not being able to afford anything on payday. Oh, I'm wittering on now, ignore me, I'll stop now!
    Just wanted to say thanks for your kind words and I'm going to have that cup of tea now xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

609Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter