Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • wigginsmum
    • 15th Dec 05, 12:03 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 12:03 PM
    Cauliflower & potato soup (add Stilton if you like it)? Cut up small and add to stir-fries? Maybe you can pickle it?

Jules
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 15th Dec 05, 12:05 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 15th Dec 05, 12:05 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 12:05 PM
    If you can't eat it all soon, then it freezes well IF you blanch it first. I've done this in the past if I've got a couple of caulis at a good price.
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 15th Dec 05, 2:39 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:39 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:39 PM
    When you say blanch, do you mean simmer it? For how long? Do you let it cool afterwards or douse it in cold water? Sorry if Im being dim!
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 15th Dec 05, 2:48 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    jfdi
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:48 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:48 PM
    I've a super Cauliflower & Pea curry dish, if you'd like it?

Tastes scrummy.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Dec 05, 2:52 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:52 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:52 PM
    When you say blanch, do you mean simmer it? For how long? Do you let it cool afterwards or douse it in cold water? Sorry if Im being dim!
    by beachbeth
    Most things you just boil for about a minute then dip straight into cold water. I've linked to a thread about freezing vegetables that has plenty of information that will help you:-

Freezing Vegetables
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 15th Dec 05, 2:55 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:55 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 2:55 PM
    Thanks Squeaky!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Dec 05, 3:05 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Dec 05, 3:05 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 3:05 PM
    You're very welcome
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th Dec 05, 9:45 PM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 49,517 Thanks
    maryb
    • 15th Dec 05, 9:45 PM
    • 15th Dec 05, 9:45 PM
    makes great veg curry mixed with carrots and green beans - which, of course, assumes you have those in the house as well
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 16th Dec 05, 11:46 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Oooh, Mary, I LOVE a veg curry, but it must have potatoes in it. I may just have to make one this weekend. Thanks for the reminder
  • halloweenqueen
    Cauliflower Pakora
    2 pounds Cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
    1/4 cup Yoghurt (thick)
    1 cup Chickpea Flour (Besan)
    1/4 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
    1/4 cup Water
    Salt to taste
    Oil to deep fry
    In a bowl mix all the ingredients except cauliflower pieces. The batter must have the same consistency as that of a cake. Dip cauliflower pieces in the batter such that they are completely covered with the batter. In a wok heat oil on medium and when oil is hot add the batter covered cauliflower pieces. Fry until this batch is about half done (just about when the colour of the batter starts to change) and remove from heat and keep aside. Do the same for all the batches. In the end take the first batch and refry them until they turn brown. Repeat for the other batches.
    Goes well with ketchup.
  • halloweenqueen
    CHEESY VEGETABLES
    1 cauliflower head 2 broccoli stalks 1 or 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1 medium onion salt and pepper to taste

Butter dish and add all vegetables. Mix soup with cheese then pour over top of vegetables. Bake in 350* oven for 1 hour.
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 16th Dec 05, 3:08 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    I've a super Cauliflower & Pea curry dish, if you'd like it?

Tastes scrummy.
    by jfdi
    yes please...........................
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • abbecer
    Cauliflower recipes please
    Morning all,

Need to use my cauliflower today. Anyone got any different ideas of what to do with it, other than cauliflower cheese?? Any suggestions greatly received.

Rebecca x
  • BLACKHURSTM
    Fry some onions and bacon pieces in a pan add some tomatoes and mushrooms and anythink else you might fancy,place in the bottom of cassarole dish.
    Partly cook the cauliflower,drain and place on the mixture.
    now add some cheese sauce or grated cheese on top and finish in oven.can finish with a little parmasan cheese.
    omit the bacon if veggie.
    Makes a light lunch or can be used as the veg part of a meal.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • timread
    Cauliflower can be lovely in dry curry recipes. Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks normally have a few good cauliflower recipes. My favourite cauliflower recipe of hers is cauliflower with cumin and fennel seeds. It's very simple and tastes great.

Or you could use it in a soup?

There are some cauliflower recipes on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/showrecord?templatestyle=text&config=ingredientnam e&page=1&pagesize=15&Id=219
  • abbecer
    Going to try the cauli and bacon soup on BBC recipes. I'll let you know how it tastes. Many thanks.

Rebecca x
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 27th May 06, 2:29 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/recipe_list.php?listType=recipe_search

put cauli into the search box and there are over 20 recipes
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 21st Jan 07, 10:42 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    Cauliflower - Ideas Needed On How To Cook It Today!
    I have to make space in my fridge and so for our evening meal we are having leftovers - spare ribs in a BBQ sauce (in the slow cooker as I write - never tried them this way before, hope it works!) and egg fried rice. However, I have a cauli that I need to use up and I have plenty of HM soup so that's not an option. I would like to serve it as the veg but can't think of a way to cook it that would work with the other things I'm having. I thought I would tap your collective wisdom for ideas. :confused:

Any help gratefully received!
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 21st Jan 07, 10:50 AM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    newleaf
    Could you just freeze it and use another day, or make a cauliflower cheese and reheat it tomorrow for tea? You're right, it doesn't really go with the spare ribs and egg fried rice.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

4,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin