Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trollydolly
    • By Trollydolly 25th Oct 08, 5:40 PM
    • 406Posts
    • 200Thanks
    Trollydolly
    Electronic Cigarette
    • 25th Oct 08, 5:40 PM
    Electronic Cigarette 25th Oct 08 at 5:40 PM
    Just wondered if anyone had tried one of these or has any ideas the best one to get value for money wise.

Please dont tell me to just give up I dont want to. Im just after opinions on the actual device.

A review of which is here.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-566351/The-electric-cigarette-gives-nicotine-hit-gets-round-smoking-ban.html

Page 1
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 25th Oct 08, 6:36 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    • 25th Oct 08, 6:36 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 6:36 PM
    I haven't tried it I'm afraid, but both my cousin and my uncle were 'smoking' these at the weekend. My uncle seems to be bearing with it but my cousin can't stand them - he says the taste is awful and its no substitute at all for a ciggie, and is just cutting down on the real things week by week. Sorry.
  • whitty999
    • 25th Oct 08, 6:40 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 6:40 PM
    I Have Seen These I Think In Firebox But They Are Quite Expensive,i Would Be Interested To Find Out More About Them & Are They Any Good
    Lucky No27
    .D.E.F..H..J.K.L.M.N.O.P.Q.R..U..X.Y.Z
    V,T,B,S,A,C,I,G,W
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 25th Oct 08, 7:18 PM
    • 4,557 Posts
    • 29,813 Thanks
    allydowd
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:18 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:18 PM
    You should be aware that some of these gadgets contain no tobacco but that it isn't clear what some of them DO contain. Most though contain: water, propylene glycol, nicotine, a scent that emulates a tobacco flavour and a membrane to suspend the ingredients. The nicotine can still be harmful.

Lecture over.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 1100

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 166/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • foxxymynx
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:25 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:25 PM
    I don't understand smoking so certainly don't understand why anyone would want those though granted it doesn't have all the harmful chemicals found in cigarettes so safer for your health.

If you wanna burn money and create an awful smell along with damaging your health, that's your call but personally I'll never understand it. Waste of money and longest ever suicide IMO.
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 25th Oct 08, 7:42 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:42 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:42 PM
    Thanks for your helpful posy foxxymynx! :rolleyes:
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 25th Oct 08, 7:47 PM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 15,428 Thanks
    tomstickland
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:47 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 7:47 PM
    Looks like a total joke to me.
    Happy chappy
  • jancee
    • 25th Oct 08, 8:02 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 8:02 PM
    I don't understand smoking so certainly don't understand why anyone would want those though granted it doesn't have all the harmful chemicals found in cigarettes so safer for your health.

If you wanna burn money and create an awful smell along with damaging your health, that's your call but personally I'll never understand it. Waste of money and longest ever suicide IMO.
    Originally posted by foxxymynx
    :rolleyes:

And this was relevant to the thread how exactly? You're entitled to your opinion of course but it does seem sometimes that one only has to mention the evil word 'smoking' to get non-smokers up on their soapboxes.

To the OP - I'd heard of these and would be interested to hear of others' experiences too.

Another snippet you might be interested in -

http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?sectioncode=16&storycode=60070&c=2
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 25th Oct 08, 9:25 PM
    • 8,198 Posts
    • 5,327 Thanks
    ManAtHome
    • 25th Oct 08, 9:25 PM
    • 25th Oct 08, 9:25 PM
    The zealot anti's would probably turn up on a "what's the best way to smoke kippers" thread...

TrollyDolly - have you tried the (non-electronic) Nicorette pipes?
    • Trollydolly
    • By Trollydolly 25th Oct 08, 9:41 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Trollydolly
    Hi there
    Well I thought it would prob get that kind of reaction. Soooooooo predictable!
    Thanks all for your useful advice.
    Jancee Ha ha that doesnt surprise me a bit!!! Thanks
    Man at Home, ive not tried the nicorette pipes, ill go and google them now. Thank you.
    Still think this is a good idea though, look forward to ON TOPIC replies. Thank you

• tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 25th Oct 08, 10:02 PM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 15,428 Thanks
    tomstickland
    I'm not a zealot, but certainly don't enjoy smokers polluting my oxygen supply. This electronic cigarette looks a bit, well, naff to me. I can understand why someone might be interested to see if it works. If I was a smoker then I'd probably be happier sticking with the devil that I did know rather than a new one.
    Happy chappy
  • j-baby-scotland
    I'm not a zealot, but certainly don't enjoy smokers polluting my oxygen supply. This electronic cigarette looks a bit, well, naff to me. I can understand why someone might be interested to see if it works. If I was a smoker then I'd probably be happier sticking with the devil that I did know rather than a new one.
    Originally posted by tomstickland

Electronic ciggie beats hands down the health destroying real thing.

Though, you have the right psychology about smokers sticking with what they know.... but if only to avoid being considered naff it ain't worth it.

Seems alien to most smokers, but a lot in later life end up dragging an oxygen supply around as their brain slowly dies by small strokes (oxygen deprivation).

If the cancer don't strike first, before the COPD.

Personally, I chew for ...... (insert what you want) on gum.

Only 90% lung cancer is due to smoking.
  • krad
    The e cigarette is probably better than gum or patches, the reason being that many of the people I know who are trying to quit smoking and are using patches need something in their mouth as well, such as a straw.

I do know one guy who uses one of them, but he's not trying to quit, just to smoke less. :P

The Daily Mail has an article about it, but I think it can only be used as a quit smoking aid, since if you're not trying to quit it's just not going to taste like the "real thing"...
    • lewt
    • By lewt 13th Nov 08, 8:02 PM
    • 7,492 Posts
    • 9,127 Thanks
    lewt
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15922

they have them here and some reviews
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Nov 08, 8:30 PM
    • 11,837 Posts
    • 31,860 Thanks
    suki1964

Hows the orgasm?
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • red
    • By red 14th Nov 08, 12:50 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    red
    i am pretty sure that if anyone really wants to give up they will and being forced to do so just leads to resentment. this electronic alternative may not be the best thing for your health, but it certainly seems better than a traditional cigarette and may be a step towards helping someone choose to take control and decide to give up at some point (if indeed at all).
    • JoolzS
    • By JoolzS 11th Dec 08, 9:40 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    JoolzS
    I ordered one on ebay a few days ago and it arrived this afternoon. I chose the Super Electronic Cigarette for no real good reason - just the price of it and the extra cartridges. I'm quite a heavy smoker, getting through around 100g of rolling tobacco a week. My electronic cig arrived at around 2 p.m. this afternoon and up to now, at around 10.30 p.m., I have smoked a grand total of 1 roll-ups. I'm very happy so far with the electronic and don't see any reason that this won't continue. I've worked out that if I used three cartridges per day (which is possible, but it seems more likely I'll only use two) - it'll cost me a total of 1.05 per day, plus the initial outlay for the cigarette, batteries, charger, etc. I spent a total of around 65.00 for my first order which included 100 cartridges. I could have spent just 60.00 but I wanted to try the different flavoured cartridges. Even if I had to spend that much every time (which I won't because the catridges alone are so much cheaper) it would still only be 1.95 per day at most.

I didn't buy it to try to quit, but as a replacement for the rollies. I had begun to hate the affect they were having on my health but am not ready to quit just yet. The fact that the electronic cigs have cartridges that come in four strengths of nicotine - high, medium, low and none - may mean that I do use it to quit at some point in the future, but I'm not worrying about that right now.

The cigarette itself is quite large - the one I've bought is around 10cm long as is a little thicker than a real cig. However, I used to smoke superkings before I changed to rollies so I don't find it too strange. I also used a holder with a filter with the rollies so I'm still used to a long cig. There are smaller versions out there though.

HTH

Julie
    • Any
    • By Any 12th Dec 08, 2:15 PM
    • 7,575 Posts
    • 8,012 Thanks
    Any
    Julie,
    does the cartridge last as long as normal cigarette? or how does it work? When you smoke normal cigarette, it runs out and you don't light up another until you want one... But like in case of my husband if he doesn't run out he is able to smoke until it will!
    • Any
    • By Any 12th Dec 08, 2:19 PM
    • 7,575 Posts
    • 8,012 Thanks
    Any

Yeah, I know... Chocolate is not good for you (most of NHS's money si actually used by FAT people), cars with strong engines (they say that they destroy our planet), too much sex apparently can be bad for you....I can continue...
    I think every person have their own, so why keep repeating and attacking just smokers I don't understand...
    I hope you walk to work OP. Otherwise this post of yours would be just hypocracy...
    • JoolzS
    • By JoolzS 12th Dec 08, 2:43 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    JoolzS
    Julie,
    does the cartridge last as long as normal cigarette? or how does it work? When you smoke normal cigarette, it runs out and you don't light up another until you want one... But like in case of my husband if he doesn't run out he is able to smoke until it will!
    Originally posted by Any
    Each cartridge lasts for the equivalent of something like 7 to 10 cigs for the model I have bought. For some of the other models they claim the cartridges are the equivalent of about 20 cigs. I am finding that I do have to consciously put the electronic cig down and not keep puffing on it, but as it's only been a couple of days, I'm not worrying about that yet. One thing I have found is that it is virtually impossible to let it just dangle from my lips as it's far too heavy, so as soon as I need to do anything with my hands I have to put it down. The nice thing is that it can be put down anywhere, not just in an ashtray.

It might be worth you sticking "electronic cigarette" into google and reading a few of the links. I'd never heard of the things until Monday when I read a vague reference to them on another forum. Sounded intriguing so I went and did some reading, and after a couple of hours research I was sold on the idea so I ordered on ebay. There are also some videos of them in use on youtube.

Julie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,992Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin