Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    alexcross
    Ideas for ADHD Children?
    • 22nd Oct 08, 6:34 PM
    Ideas for ADHD Children? 22nd Oct 08 at 6:34 PM
    Sorry to be such a pain but I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on how to entertain my Son who is ADHD.
    He is on Medication and diet controlled but recently has been diagnosed with Floppy bowel syndrom which means that he can not go outside to run off extra energy.
    He is pretty much House-bound which can be a nightmare for me and Daughter.
    I have spent a fortune on trying to entertain him. DVD's are expensive and rarley keep him interested for longer than 10 mins at a time. He loves his games console but again games are expensive.
    (I think a Wii console for xmas would be a wonderful idea but it depends on funds) I am his only carer which means I am on Benefits so funds are very limited.
    Any ideas would be great
    Thanks guys

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 27-01-2009 at 7:50 PM.
Page 1
    • jewelly
    • By jewelly 22nd Oct 08, 6:59 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    jewelly
    • 22nd Oct 08, 6:59 PM
    ADHD child
    • 22nd Oct 08, 6:59 PM
    You have my sympathy. My son had ADHD. We survived on computer games and films. I was also on benefits and only managed to fund buying new games from getting Disability Living Allowance because of my son's difficulties. I hope you are getting it too.
  • alexcross
    • 22nd Oct 08, 7:06 PM
    • 22nd Oct 08, 7:06 PM
    Thanks Jewelly
    I am getting dla but its still very tight. I spend most of my weekly benefit on food (as there is so much he can't have so I have to get the organic stuff and the other stuff is all for home made meals. the money I get for him through DLA once a month is desperatly trying to keep my car road worthy to attend his many hospital appiontments. I live in the middle of nowhere and its miles to the three hospitals he has to attend weekly.
    I am really struggeling (dreading Xmas)
    xx
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 23rd Oct 08, 1:35 AM
    • 39,158 Posts
    • 36,065 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 23rd Oct 08, 1:35 AM
    • 23rd Oct 08, 1:35 AM
    If you've got a freecycle locally, you might be able to ask for computer games on that? You may even find your local library has games as well as films. Of course I realise you may be some way from the library too ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
  • alexcross
    • 23rd Oct 08, 5:12 PM
    • 23rd Oct 08, 5:12 PM
    Thanks Sue
    Freecycle isn't an opption but I do have a library however Son has no value on objects and tends to wreck things very quickly so that opption is out to lol but thanks for the idea.
    Starting to loose hope lol. half term coming up and im dreading it.
    • novelli
    • By novelli 23rd Oct 08, 6:49 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    novelli
    • 23rd Oct 08, 6:49 PM
    adhd
    • 23rd Oct 08, 6:49 PM
    Have you tried the family fund??

they support families such as yours by purchasing items that make the childs life easier.

Also social services may offer some financial support and or respite?? A social worker can apply to all sorts of pots for funding which could help

Unfortunately gettng help for these children is extremely difficult, and as a parent you have to search yourself, but there is help out there.

good luck. ive lived with this condition for 16 years, and am still so frustrated that families are left to struggle when there is help out there, no where near enough, and its those that shout the loudest that get heard unfortunately. No one else will shout for you so you have to develop a thick skin very quickly!! This is a very unsocial and isolating disorder to live with, there are still many people who belive the disorder does not exist. This is beyond debate now, but for many outsiders ignorance is bliss and no amount of research or personal experiences will sway them to understand that this is a very real disorder, with sometimes devastating consequences. The sad thing is it is so treatable, But families need more support and many professionals need better educating.:confused:
  • alexcross
    • 23rd Oct 08, 7:03 PM
    • 23rd Oct 08, 7:03 PM
    Novelli you are sooooooo right.
    My own Mother does not accept either of his conditions she says the bowel problem is him just being Lazy and the ADHD is him being naughty and getting away with it!!!! with my own Mother thinking like this its pretty hard to get any support anywhere.
    I have heard of the Family fund however three times I have asked them for forms but I am still waiting I know they must be snowed under with requests so I will keep on trying with them.
    I don't really want to go down the Social Services rout (Im a bit old fashioned I suppose).

Thank you so much for your ideas it helps to know there are people here to support me in any way they can.
  • D&DD
    • 23rd Oct 08, 7:49 PM
    • 23rd Oct 08, 7:49 PM
    Hi Alex ooh half term I tend to get my shinpads and tinhat ready the day before lol.My boys all love gaming too and youngest would spend allll day on there bouncing around like a lunatic if left to his own devices..even a normal game,he bounces to
    How old is your son ?? It'll give me some idea what he may like..my boy has suddenly got back into lego bigtime which, although the whole house is starting to resemble legoland,its wonderful as he actually sits down to do it,well after a fashion
    p.s the forms for the familyfund application can be printed off from the website,might save you a bit of time rather than waiting for them to get sent out
    Last edited by Dⅅ 23-10-2008 at 7:52 PM.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
    • shazrobo
    • By shazrobo 23rd Oct 08, 10:24 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    shazrobo
    • 23rd Oct 08, 10:24 PM
    • 23rd Oct 08, 10:24 PM
    have you tried charity shops for second hand games and dvd's, i have twin boys aged 13 with ADHD, so i know how they are at not really looking after expensive items
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it
    • nikki.paul
    • By nikki.paul 23rd Oct 08, 11:23 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    nikki.paul
    Hi

I have a 9 year old son with ADHD. I give him internet time for a reward for the better days. he likes to go on the bubble gum site were all the games are free. There is also a great site for learning games to help with his education
    http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/
    (you could always get a cheep keyboard and mouse that you could plug in just for him to use)

I got my son a wii this year but I finds it gets him to wound up and it always ends in tears but every child with ADHD reacts differently.

Hope you find something for him to do in the holidays.

Nikki XX
    Avid freecycler (Received Dishwasher, Cooker, 0ver, fridge, freezer and Bathroom suit)

Reclaimed bank charges from natwest 5252.00
    Dealt with my Debts( still debt free 4 years on yipee
    Make 2012 in 2012 0027.50/2012
  • NAT.B
    My son has ADHD, very hard work to say he least! lol

A few years ago when I was on benifits he wanted a bike, what a great Idea but there was no way I could afford that. I went to my local bike shop, a independant store and had a chat with the owner, as it happened it run a xmas club. So I paid weekly until bike was paid off. which was great!

Have you got a independant games shop near you? If you have chat they might let you pay weekly/monthy then your son gets a wii for xmas. It would work out cheeper if you looked for a second hand one.

I brought a PS2 second hand years ago, he loved it and still has it now.
  • NAT.B
    How old is your son? Would a second hand trampoline be out of the question? Some of my family are the same as yours, "there not such thing as ADHD" lol Of course not, proffessinals just hand out meds and asses your kids all the time for there enjoyment! Grrrr lol

Play.com is good for some dvds, also instore in tesco/asda

My son loves board games we have most, we have picked some gd ones up from charity shops. Interactive dvd games? (That was our family pressie last yr from another family member, rather than them buying us 5 individual items)

Or ask anyone for cash for xmas for your kids, wait til sales and grab a bargin. Just do some stocking fillers to tide them over.
  • saab2007
    adhd
    alex, i have a son who is autistic - trust me, i know what you are going through. i could not have survived without the help of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, who have a budget of giving money to those people who are on a low income or benefits, so that the carers can buy necessary equipment (including entertainment gadgets) for their young people. you can apply on line, i do hope that you will use them. if you havent had a holiday, they will fund that too. i do hope that your son meets their criteria.
  • BabyKat
    I too have a son with adhd and i know the problems very well.
    Why not ask the family fund for some help they are very good as i have used them in the past
    • SarahShattered
    • By SarahShattered 24th Oct 08, 3:41 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 53,214 Thanks
    SarahShattered
    Alex My DD3 has Downs and ADHD. It's been a rough ride getting people to understand that the two things are not the same!!!!

She's on equasym now, with a top up if we need to. That has honestly changed my life. I get so sick of people thinking it's because the child is 'naughty'. My Mum thought my DD was 'spoilt' :rolleyes:

Are your DS's meds helping? It took a while for us to get the right meds for our girl.

I'd second the trampoline idea. It's the second best thing we've done for our girl.... (meds being the first best thing!!) She can jump her energy out, and then feeling tired will sit and watch tv for a while, or even read a book for a good chunk of time.
    HTH
    Last edited by SarahShattered; 24-10-2008 at 3:47 PM.
    MMSSB Club Founder Member
    'Mean Mummies that set and stick to boundaries'

• NAT.B
    Have you also tried local parenting groups for the ADHD, I have, its been a god send to talk to other parents!

Parentlineplus is also good for geting information, we have in our area parent in parnership, which helps back you up for schooling and groups/parenting courses in your area. Ive been to many over the years!
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 24th Oct 08, 5:40 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 28,238 Thanks
    allydowd
    Have you tried going to:

http://www.adhd.org.uk/

or

http://www.addiss.co.uk/
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 5
    Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza Challenge: Completed
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity Challenge: Completed
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • alexcross
    Ahhhhh thanks guys the ideas are wonderful.
    Can't have trampoling Garden is a mess (never got time or money to sort it out) plus there is a big slant in it which means it would need to be leveled first so can't do that at the mo. But brill idea think the only thing that would stop him using it would be bowel problems.
    After a bad night last night then bad morning (and then called into school) I broke down in Head teachers office so she is going to get onto some groups for help for me. so heres hoping.
    I will try the rowntree foundation thank you I will try anything at this stage.
    and im printing off pdf forms for family fund as we speak.
    I will be getting Son a second hand ps2 for xmas I know where I can get him one for under 30 and I have started saving for the wii as I think it is something that all of us can enjoy together and with Son being the way he is I think its important we all spend some NICE time together.
    thanks again guys Im taking all of your ideas on board
    • mummytofour
    • By mummytofour 24th Oct 08, 9:51 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    mummytofour
    Got an adder myself too. Maybe we need an ADHD thread?

Mine is 7 and spends many many hrs watching videos. Playing with crazy bones or on the PC. I send him to an after school club 3 afternoons a week which is run by an amazing hubby and wife team. There IS lots to occupy at the after school club and he friends to play with. He loves iut so much he does not need after noon meds there.

I dont suppose you have an option like that? I know there is also an special needs club near here that runs a holiday and weekend club for ADHD children, not that I have go that far yet.

My adder is fab when he is in a good mood but on a bad day, its very hard work and bedtime does not always come soon enough. Can you adder do arts and crafts? Mine find that hard as he is about the level of a 4 yrs old on the moter skills front. I guess its focusing on what he can do and stretching that as far as possible?

Just to add that there is about a 4 months wait for the family fund at the mo. How about finding out about support groups? Getting in touch with other adder mums, might help? My local sure start runs one. For a while i had a S/W that was quite good, to know your in the system and not being ignored does help.
    Last edited by mummytofour; 24-10-2008 at 9:56 PM.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
    • novelli
    • By novelli 24th Oct 08, 10:45 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    novelli
    adhd
    what area are you in?? I can then direct you to your local group.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

3,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin