Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Madmum
    • 11th Dec 05, 4:32 PM
    • 11th Dec 05, 4:32 PM
    http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/recipe.jsp?ref=recipes.200412282034

i hope this link works I've never posted one before. Anyway its on the river cottage website and we've been eating this a lot lately - I use slightly less beef and a lot more stock than he says and eat it as a stew rather than a hearty soup. We think its pretty good.
  • tootles
    • 11th Dec 05, 8:11 PM
    • 11th Dec 05, 8:11 PM
    My grand mother always used shin of beef for stew, I use a pressure cooker but she used to cook it in a slow oven so guess you could use a slow cooker.

Slice up an onion and soften in a little oil, toss the beef in some seasoned flour and then drop into the pan with the onion, brown off the meat. Put into a casserole dish and add sliced carrot, a tin of tomatos and beef stock salt and pepper and I use herb de provance,cook slowly until the meat is tender......2 tablespoons of SR flour, 1tablespoon of sage and onion stuffing, 1 tablespoon of vegetable suet, mix with some water, allow to stand for a couple of minutes and if necessary add a little more water, tip onto the top of the stew and return to the oven for another half hour. To check if the dumpling is cooked slide a knife into the dumpling it should come out clean......serve with mashed spud and veg........ it also makes a good pie, cook one day and leave in the fridge then make up the pie the next day. The stew is also good if left for a day to allow the flavour to develop.

To make a really special stew marinade the cubes of meat in red wine for a couple of days before cooking, then use the marinade in the stew........
    • Loretta
    • By Loretta 12th Dec 05, 9:34 AM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Loretta
    • 12th Dec 05, 9:34 AM
    • 12th Dec 05, 9:34 AM
    Put it in the slow cooker for hours and hours with onions carrots potatoes anything like that, the gravy is really rich and wonderful
    Loretta
    • Loretta
    • By Loretta 12th Dec 05, 9:35 AM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Loretta
    • 12th Dec 05, 9:35 AM
    • 12th Dec 05, 9:35 AM
    Put it in the slow cooker for hours and hours with onions carrots potatoes anything like that, the gravy is really rich and wonderful I meant to say that shin of beef was invented for slow cookers!
    Loretta
    • devon_guy
    • By devon_guy 11th Aug 09, 2:55 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    devon_guy
    • 11th Aug 09, 2:55 PM
    What to do with beef shin?
    • 11th Aug 09, 2:55 PM
    In a moment of madness, because my butcher had beef shin on offer, 2lbs for 4.50 I bought some. What can I do with it? Presumably I can use it in a stew? Since bringing it home I've also diced it myself and coated it in flour to separate it a bit before putting it in a bag in the freezer, is this ok?
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th Aug 09, 3:06 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 11th Aug 09, 3:06 PM
    • 11th Aug 09, 3:06 PM
    Not sure flouring it before freezing will make much difference, but it won't do it any harm.

Definitely make a stew. Shin of beef is excellent for stew either in a slow cooker or (my preferred way) in the oven. The key is long cooking at a low temp-a good 3 hours at about 130-140 c in the oven. Not really a summer dish I have to say, but you can leave it happily in the freezer till the weather gets more 'stewy'.

Good additions(you don't need them all)are mushrooms, onions, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, carrots, celery, wine/beer/cider, beef stock.
    • pol
    • By pol 11th Aug 09, 4:04 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    • 11th Aug 09, 4:04 PM
    • 11th Aug 09, 4:04 PM
    I agree with Thriftlady. I use it all the time, cooked for a couple of hours and use for pies or pudding or use in stews/casseroles. It makes the most tasty gravy too.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 11th Aug 09, 4:22 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 11th Aug 09, 4:22 PM
    • 11th Aug 09, 4:22 PM
    Shin of beef is lovely and tender I do mine with Onions, Carrots, Mushrooms, Celery and Tomatoes with a little all purpouse seasoning added, or if I haven't got any I use paprika. Then thicken with alittle cornflour and butter. Or a nice Steak and kidney pie just add a few kidneys. I agree with everyone else that it needs long slow cooking but I would cook the lot and freeze it in portions for a warming meal ready for pulling out in the winter (HM ready meal)
    Plus if you cook it all at once it saves on fuel because all you have to do is reheat it.
  • TillyTrippit
    Scouse - guess where I come from!!! Huge pan of it which is then frozen into smaller portions.
    Stock - beef Oxo cubes are fine.
    Carrots and onions,
    Loads of potatoes cut up really small so that they disintegrate whilst cooking
    Salt and pepper to your taste. If I'm feeling posh a tablespoon of worcester sauce - not really needed but adds a bit of a 'kick' if you want it that way.
    I put it onto a really low light for hours (at least 5) on the stove.
    If the potatoes don't disintegrate after that time you can mash them - the idea is that it is almost 'solid' - no gravy. You should be able to almost stand your spoon up in it or eat it with a fork!!
    It is also fabulous the next day - carrots and shin beef sweetness have combined. Frozen portions defrosted and blitzed in the microwave for a verry quick and nutritious meal.
    Oh my mouth is watering - almost excited for winter!!
    Thanks to this fantastic site and it's amazing people, we have paid over 63, 000 off - just over half way!!!
    THANK YOU
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 11th Aug 09, 9:31 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Believe it or not, you can pulse it in the processor and make excellent burgers from it!
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Aug 09, 10:39 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 143,407 Thanks
    JackieO
    I bought some in Sainsbobs a few weeks ago and have shoved it in the freezer for the winter time It was only 2 a kilo so I bought about 3.00 worth.When the weather turns chilly I shall stick it in my slow cooker overnight with carrots,onions ect and next day have a big pan that will make me not only a nice dinner but a good few pie fillings as well Shin is a lovely cut of meat and far superior to the normal 'stewing steak. Well worth buying if you see it on the offer
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 12th Aug 09, 7:25 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    newleaf
    I use it to make chilli con carne in my pressure cooker: Brown a chopped onion, add the chopped meat, stock, and your usual seasonings and spices. (I use cumin seeds, chilli powder and a dash of cocoa). Cook at pressure, I do mine for about 20mins. Release pressure, thicken with some cornflour and put either previously cooked or tinned kidney beans in right at the end, and warm through. Serve with rice or a baked potato (either of which I do in my Remoska).
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
    • Maitane
    • By Maitane 12th Aug 09, 9:48 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Maitane
    Mmmm... I made a splendiferous curry with the cheapo curry sauce and a tonne of chillis and beef shin. It was gorgeous. It's Mr Maitane's favourite cut of beef.
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • kirstyreanne
    Make a Stifado (Greek Stew)

Marinade beef overnight in red wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, rosemary & bayleaf. Fry onion & add to the mixture, add tin of tomatoes & generous squeeze tomato puree. Salt & pepper to taste & then add whole shallots.

Bung it all in the slow cooker if you have one or simmer slowly on the hob for as long as possible. If you use the slow cooker you may need to thicken the sauce.

HTH
  • jayne just learning
    Do try chilli con carne
    This week's Cook Yourself Thin used beef shin for a healthy chilli cooked in the oven not a pressure cooker. Haven't tried it yet but looked good on TV! Recipe will be on www.channel4.com/food

and I don't much care what the weather is doing I can eat chilli or casserole anytime but I am enjoying the lovely sunshine!
    • bargainbetty
    • By bargainbetty 23rd Jun 10, 1:06 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 7,156 Thanks
    bargainbetty
    I was going to echo the stews at the top of hte page, possibly with the additional of about half a pint of dark ale during the cooking. Black Sheep works particularly well.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid 3000 so far)
    , only 11 years to go.

• Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 23rd Jun 10, 1:14 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    Mmmm shin is my favourite beef cut. As well as the other suggestions I make big vats of fajita and taco filling to freeze. Slow-cook it for a few hours with peppers, onions, kidney beans, sweetcorn, some garlic. Spices - cumin, chilli, plus some oregano/marjoram/coriander leaf depending on which you have in. Add enough water to make it 'wet' and check every now and then in case you need to add a little more.

I agree that it makes fantastic steak and kidney pie or pudding, too! When I make pies I freeze the filling and pastry separately rather than the finished pie as I find it can go soggy otherwise.

• Maitane
    • By Maitane 23rd Jun 10, 2:54 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Maitane
    Oooh, I know I said before in this thread that you can do it in the cheapo curry sauce and it's great, well there's a Madhur Jaffrey korma that is amazing with beef shin and you can do it in the slow cooker.
    Nom, curry.
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 13th Feb 11, 10:30 AM
    • 14,176 Posts
    • 56,777 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    What to do with Shin Beef
    Clearing the freezer out I've found a 390g piece of Shin Beef. I'm thinking it would be best cooked slow in something like a stew and that it will feed 2 people. I'd normal cook something like that in the same way as stewing meat with onions in a rich beef gravy but fancy trying something a bit different. So does anyone have any yummy recipes I could try with it?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,367Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter