Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nile
    • By Nile 8th Dec 05, 10:21 AM
    • 14,344Posts
    • 14,292Thanks
    Nile
    Clear Nail Varnish
    • 8th Dec 05, 10:21 AM
    Clear Nail Varnish 8th Dec 05 at 10:21 AM
    I never wear nail varnish but I have a cheap (Collection 2000) bottle of clear nail varnish which can be put to lots of use.

A ladder in your tights? Stop it with a dab of clear nail varnish.

Buttons falling off your garments? Fix them in place with a dab of clear nail varnish on the stitches.

Hair grip has a sharp edge? Put a blob of clear nail varnish on the end of the hair grip to prevent it digging into your scalp.

Are you sensitive to Nickel in jewellery? Paint the underneath of your metal watch strap or earring posts with clear nail varnish to create a protective barrier.

Would you like to share your tips?

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-09-2006 at 6:42 PM.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
Page 1
  • foreverskint
    • 8th Dec 05, 2:51 PM
    • 8th Dec 05, 2:51 PM
    paint the bottom rim of things like hairspray,deodorant tins etc in the bathroom with nail varnish, to stop rust ring marks on your bathroom shelves
  • henhog
    • 8th Dec 05, 8:59 PM
    • 8th Dec 05, 8:59 PM
    You can use clear nail polish as varnish if your kids like to paint stones with poster paint! Wait til the paint dries obviously!! You can do the same with painted hard boiled / blown eggs at easter. The cheapo clear nail polish like Nile described is cheaper than varnish if you only want small amounts.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 16th Dec 05, 7:55 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 39,687 Thanks
    Glad
    • 16th Dec 05, 7:55 PM
    • 16th Dec 05, 7:55 PM
    it's good for making a waterproof repair to a tear on an umbrella too
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 16th Dec 05, 11:41 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    • 16th Dec 05, 11:41 PM
    • 16th Dec 05, 11:41 PM
    I used to make 3d origami stars when I was still at school and varnished them with clear nail polish. Gave them away to everyone as little Christmas presents. Might do that at work this year. The instructions are here:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/8012/creation/star.html
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
  • Str4berr3
    • 17th Dec 05, 12:17 AM
    • 17th Dec 05, 12:17 AM
    hey!

I know how to do those! I once bought a see through heart shape jar and managed to fit 182 stars in for my partner.
  • Allexie
    • 17th Dec 05, 9:50 AM
    • 17th Dec 05, 9:50 AM
    I used to make 3d origami stars when I was still at school and varnished them with clear nail polish. Gave them away to everyone as little Christmas presents. Might do that at work this year. The instructions are here:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/8012/creation/star.html
    by Katgoddess
    Yay...took three goes...but got it in the end...cool!!!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Bambywamby
    • 4th Sep 06, 9:54 PM
    The wonders of a pot of clear nail varnish
    • 4th Sep 06, 9:54 PM
    Just been thinking how many things I use clear nail varnish for and how handy one little bottle is (approx 2.50)

1) Put the nail varnish on any buttons over the cotton. it will stop the buttons coming off and the cotton breaking.

2)A small ladder in your tights/stocking will not become a big one if you dab clear nail varnish around the hole.

3)Torn a nail? Seperate a small piece of white tissue, so you have one ply. Brush over the tear with the varnish, add the piece of tissue and varnish over again and allow to dry. You create an instant fix it for nails.

4)Putting two coats on a conker (allowed to dry inbetween) will give your child one tough, invincible chestnut to battle with.

5)If cheap jewellery/earrings/watches irritate your skin - make them hypoallergenic by putting varnish on the area of the jewellery that makes contact with the skin. Works really, really well.

6)And of course the obvious one - it makes nails look glossy and helps protect them from breaking.

Cant think of anything else...anybody else use it for anything else?
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
    • jessicamb
    • By jessicamb 4th Sep 06, 10:13 PM
    • 10,066 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    jessicamb
    • 4th Sep 06, 10:13 PM
    • 4th Sep 06, 10:13 PM
    I've never tried it but apparently you can use it to paint the bottom of shaving cans and they wont leave rust marks in the bathroom.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
    • Eels100
    • By Eels100 4th Sep 06, 10:16 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    Eels100
    In emergencies, to remove nail polish you can paint another coat on top and wipe it all off before it dries. I've never had to try this on furnishings/children/pets, just my nails, so no promises!
  • Tiff
    Hi - I tried the clear nail varnish on watches and other jewellery because I'm very sensitive to nickel - I even did the little metal buckle/clasp that does the watch up but I still reacted to it.
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!'

• Nile
    • By Nile 5th Sep 06, 9:01 AM
    • 14,344 Posts
    • 14,292 Thanks
    Nile
    There are more tips in this Clear Nail Varnish thread too.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    I don't know if anyone still wears black nailvarnish, but I did as a teenager. It was great for hiding scuffs on my black boots.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 5th Sep 06, 10:21 AM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 23,806 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Clear nail varnish is good at protecting minor scratches on your car till you have the money to get it fixed properly. But on my (very) old car when I was a student I used to fill in the chips in the paint work with a matching colour nail varnish so the chips wouldn't rust.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 5th Sep 06, 10:43 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    As Nile has said we have another thread on clear nail varnish, so I'll merge this thread with it as it helps other Old Style readers to find all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Penny-Wise
    Last time I polished my brass door furnishings, I painted them with clear nail varnish they have stayed shiny for nearly 2 years (they need doing again now). When I redo them, Ill use nail varnish remover & then brasso & then clear nail varnish & my door will look smart for another 2 years.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • dockerdooley
    Nail Varnish
    I paint over my garden labels with clear nail varnish to protect the writing from the weather.
    • 123xyz
    • By 123xyz 15th Sep 06, 9:58 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    123xyz
    Last time I polished my brass door furnishings, I painted them with clear nail varnish they have stayed shiny for nearly 2 years (they need doing again now). When I redo them, Ill use nail varnish remover & then brasso & then clear nail varnish & my door will look smart for another 2 years.
    by Penny-Wise
    Test the nail varnish remover underneath the door knocker first, just in case the acetone reacts badly with the brass.

Another use for bright pink nail varnish is to make a multi-coloured living room carpet. I did it during one of my redhead moments and guess what? I am not insured against stupidity.
    Just off the border of your waking mind, there lies another time ....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

8,445Users online

Martin's Twitter