Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MPwannasavemoney
    • By MPwannasavemoney 13th Oct 08, 6:04 PM
    • 188Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MPwannasavemoney
    Dunster House Log Cabnis, nice cabin shame about the ingrained dirt
    • 13th Oct 08, 6:04 PM
    Dunster House Log Cabnis, nice cabin shame about the ingrained dirt 13th Oct 08 at 6:04 PM
    We have just had a Dunster House log cabin built.

It is beautiful, except when you step inside and see the dirt on some of the timber which does not come off easily. The builders tried to hide it as much as possible especially as it was a double skin wall so as to place the dirty side out of sight, but there are still some eyesores left.

I contacted Dunster asking what to do about it - expecting some suggestions on how to clean it. Instead came a get out saying we signed a delivery note so we cannot reject the materials and a standard disclaimer reply saying "[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']Our log cabins are supplied as garden buildings and to the standards normally associated with this type of product. We do not claim or charge to supply and construct a product similar to more expensive joinery manufactured timber products fitted into domestic houses. We sell thousands of these Log cabins too many satisfied customers and all have the same standard.[/font]"

So to all of you who have bought a log cabin, whether from Dunster or not....

1) The materials delivered was a whole lorry load, I would say more than 200 pieces of timber. Is it reasonable to expect the consumer to inspect each and every one on BOTH SIDES looking for dirt. It was hard enough trying to spot the damaged pieces (there was one and this was only spotted as the plastic covering was pierced where the fork lift truck must have missed the underside of the pallet and it got inside instead). If this went to court, have I waived my rights by signing the delivery?

2) Is it 'normal' and are other customer's satisfied with their brand new log cabins if the timber has black marks on it with ingrained dirt? Are we being too fussy?

Any comments appreciated
Page 6
    • rguitars
    • By rguitars 2nd Apr 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rguitars
    Fraudulent Sales Tactics To Make Sales and more...
    I notice Dunster house have stopped featuring Trust Pilot on their site - no doubt due to the volume of 1 star reviews relating to their customer service. Well I am adding one. Their website is a sham only showing 5 star reviews - my review is not showing on their site.

The practices of the company are utterly appauling and should be featured on Watchdog.

The side issue (!!) is they took a total of 13,000 out of my account whilst trying to process 4500. 3 failed payments but all 3 came out of my account. Their handling of this was disgraceful.

Due to their credit card machine processing issues, they delayed the delivery our log cabin and I had to pay a builder, builders rates for 1 WEEK or I would lose the builder. Again, Dunster house could not have cared less about the issue.

We spent the best part of 2 years saving and investigating who to buy from. Dunster house reviews demonstrated the quality of the product so it seemed natural to go with them.

Our log cabin is part storage/part recreational (6.5m x 4.5) and therefore we were considering only having 2 windows. We were told that we would have to pay about 250 MORE to not have windows. I found this surprising but the explanation made sense. Their products are pre made and so we would need an additional "pack" of wood to cover the areas where the windows would be.

I was unsure how this would look when complete so we discussed the pros and cons of the windows at length.

We were told very very clearly not to worry. They could supply the pack of wood and if we decided to use all the windows we could return the pack and have it refunded - as long as it was not used. I discussed this with my wife but the company seemed honest so we didn't question it.

Once we agreed and signed the terms and conditions, Dunster house tried to take payment 3 times. A result of which was the 13,000 taken from our account which caused us huge inconveniences (naturally) along with a lot of worry. Dunster house would not deliver the cabin as their bank had not released any of the 13,000 to their account. When the payments were finally put back in to our account and the payment was made again Dunster house told us the delivery could not be made because they were fully booked!!!! As a result we had to pay a builder one weeks work without any work done on the log cabin - or he would have to move on to the next job.

We have now completed the build of the cabin - we called Dunster house to ask them to collect the wood pack that was unused. I have received one liner emails stating we cannot cancel any part of the order because we are beyond the cancelation date? I explained it was not a cancelation and it was part of an agreement.

Dunster house have kindly forwarded me their terms and conditions and highlighted the following terms - 2 lines which CLEARLY are put in - in order to allow their sales team to say whatever it takes to make a sale - yet not having to honor a WORD of it. ....

16.12 In the event of conflict between these Terms and Conditions and any statement made by a representative of the Company, these Terms and Conditions shall take precedent.
    16.13 These Terms and Conditions can only be amended in writing by a Director of Dunster House Ltd.

This is fraud. Dunster house are making offers and promises in order to make sales and to passify their customers whilst in the knowledge that they do not have to honor anything.

I should be taking Dunster house to Court for...

Stress caused by the removal of 13000 from our account without any form of apology or consideration for our welfare

1 weeks wages for a builder who through no fault of ours had to be paid because Dunster house refused to deliver the log cabin even though they knew we had 13000 taken from our account

250 of wood promised that we could return if not required.

In summary - great product, let down by incredibly poor customer service, fraudulent sales tactics and a total lack of care within the general management.

We have 3 friends, all of whom LOVE the end result who are now doing the same - and none of them will be using Dunster house. So what have you gained guys? Literally nothing. Lost business and a terrible review for the public to see.

FINALLY.... I have run a business for 22 years and my own testimonials can be found on my site (rguitars.co.uk) . I am a genuine buyer and am not a serial complainer. This was a genuine travesty of an experience, all of which could have been avoided with the most basic of care and concern for the customers needs.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 6th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 2,611 Thanks
    harz99
    From personal experience six years ago I would recommend one of the Trentan range from this company, delivered in sections and fully assembled on site by the company.

https://www.leisurebuildings.com/acatalog/trentan-log-cabins-uk.html

And no, I have no connection with them apart from being a satisfied customer.
    • JooFox
    • By JooFox 25th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    JooFox
    Last April (2016) I finally ordered a Premiumplus Radley log cabin from Dunster House. So we are now a year in, I'm sat in my garden office with a view across a rolling Somerset view and the 'Garden Office' is awesome.
    I may have been fortunate, but I paid 20 extra for a second person to help unload which meant I could stand drinking tea and checking things off. The driver, who didn't assist in unloading stood with me and was really knowledgable and gave me some tips on building the structure.
    There was mountains of wood. I went for the fully insulated roof/floor/walls with exotherm and for around 5000ish I couldn't be happier.
    Crucially, it seems the fact I didn't need to deal with Dunster House after delivery may have been key, but I can't really fault them.
    Friends are blown away by the cost of our office/spare bedroom and it has a really quality feel to it. Sure there has been some wood movement over time and I've had to make some adjustments. The doors could be smoother to open, but if I spend some time on that I'm sure I can resolve it.
    The whole thing probably took a week to build, between working. They are good value, but I would have been properly mardy if I was left without instructions as it's a monster project and a very expensive mountain of wood to just be sat in your garden.
    • colinlb
    • By colinlb 26th Aug 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    colinlb
    another bad experience
    4 year old DH cabin, I lifted the lino to find the floor has gone rotten.
    My opinion is the bearers are too thin & have trapped moisture and !!!! in the channels between the bearers.
    Be warned...
    • jimbob010
    • By jimbob010 12th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimbob010
    !!!128556;
    Cripes. My wife and I were planning on putting down a deposit of a 10k garden office this weekend! I certainly wont be doing so after reading the horror stories below. Well done everyone for taking the time to warn others. !!!128077;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,327Posts Today

8,158Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin