Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 1:46 AM
    • 1,436Posts
    • 626Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Icesave - Martin Lewis Should Resign!
    • 8th Oct 08, 1:46 AM
    Icesave - Martin Lewis Should Resign! 8th Oct 08 at 1:46 AM
    I would just like to say I am only at risk of losing nearly £35k thanks to Martin Lewis who regularly tipped Icesave and other even more dodgy banks like ICICI in his newsletter so that he could earn more commission from click thrus and make himself rich.

The man is clearly a total charlatan who far from apologising is now trying to earn yet more click thru revenue by tipping new dodgy banks for us to invest in and lose all our money with.

He will probably ban me for these comments but if people don't show their anger and hurt then how can he ever understand what he has done.

Mr Lewis your credibility is now zero and you should resign in favour of someone who does not encourage people to risk losing all their money in dodgy foreign banks with alleged investors compensation schemes that do not pay out on the amount allegedly promised.

90% of Icesave investors would not have their money in this bank and be at risk of losing most of their cash savings if it were not for Martin Lewis's repeated reckless promotion of this company and other Icelandic and similar dodgy overseas headquartered banks.
    Last edited by NonGeographicalMan; 08-10-2008 at 2:04 AM.
Page 1
    • Buster Danog
    • By Buster Danog 8th Oct 08, 2:05 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Buster Danog
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:05 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:05 AM
    It's personal responsibility at the end of the day. I chose Icesave and did not continue to look for updates on their stability, and nor did you it seems. It's good to have someone to blame though.
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 2:17 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:17 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:17 AM
    It's personal responsibility at the end of the day. I chose Icesave and did not continue to look for updates on their stability, and nor did you it seems. It's good to have someone to blame though.
    Originally posted by Franco78
    No Martin Lewis built up a reputation as an informed Moneysaver and then misused it to tip dodgy overseas banks on which people were not just saving a few quid here or there (as they do on other products) but instead tieing up their whole life's savings.

He banged on and on about Icesave for months at one stage.
    • Fella
    • By Fella 8th Oct 08, 2:22 AM
    • 7,615 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    Fella
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:22 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:22 AM
    But it was a perfectly reasonable tip at the time. None of us saw this coming so why should Martin have?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Oct 08, 2:31 AM
    • 17,237 Posts
    • 13,427 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:31 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:31 AM
    Who forced you to use this site?
    Who forced you to invest with this company?
    Perhaps you should not use this site again if you feel so strongly.
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 2:40 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:40 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:40 AM
    Who forced you to use this site?
    Who forced you to invest with this company?
    Perhaps you should not use this site again if you feel so strongly.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    I am up at 3am because I can't sleep for shock and worry over my destroyed finances due to this problem with Icesave. A pretty legitimate reason to be unable to sleep.

You on the other hand are up at 3am making post five thousand and something solely because you are a sad little loner with nothing better to do than to make yourself a self appointed forum guru who enjoys ticking off the non regulars, even when they have every possible reason and excuse in this case for being in emotional and financial distress as a direct result of using this website.

Why don't you think about the dreadful plight of people who have lost access to most of their savings (possibly permanently) rather than just sycophantically defending the owner of this website because it is clearly the only thing that you do in your sad and pathetic little life that gives it any form of meaning.
    Last edited by NonGeographicalMan; 08-10-2008 at 2:44 AM.
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 2:43 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:43 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:43 AM
    But it was a perfectly reasonable tip at the time. None of us saw this coming so why should Martin have?
    Originally posted by Fella
    No it wasn't a reasonable tip as Icesave is a tiny little country without the backup to weather this kind of storm and xenophobic enough to say that its foreign investors can just jolly well lump it.

As Martin Lewis sets himself up as a guru he should have realised this.

There is a big difference between tipping a cheap make of kettle and telling people to stick all their life's savings somewhere that may go belly up and not be protected by the British government.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Oct 08, 2:47 AM
    • 17,237 Posts
    • 13,427 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:47 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:47 AM
    I see your illogical rantings have been noted before.
    Take more water with it
    Last edited by hollydays; 08-10-2008 at 2:49 AM.
  • Captain Mainwaring
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:50 AM
    • 8th Oct 08, 2:50 AM
    Ah, that is what puts the EXPERT in MSE. but the truth is, it ain't there.
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 2:58 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Try harnessing and directing your emotions in a constructive way.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Surely someone who makes over 5,000 posts in a web forum and who is so addicted that they stay up all night without any good excuse (unlike me who has just lost over 30k and doesn't have many other cash savings) is in position to make sanctomonious comments about harnessing their emotions in a constructive way.

Those who think that tomorrow will bring news that all Icesave savers will get their money back with no problems are totally deluding themselves.
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 3:01 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    Ah, that is what puts the EXPERT in MSE. but the truth is, it ain't there.
    Originally posted by Captain Mainwaring
    Here, here Captain M. Although wasn't it usually Sgt Wilson who was meant to utter such pearls of wisdom.

The only E in Expert that actually applies to Martin Lewis is the E for Egotistical. Anyone in any doubt should watch his ghastly tv show.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Oct 08, 3:05 AM
    • 17,237 Posts
    • 13,427 Thanks
    hollydays
    Don't feel the need to "justify "or explain why I am up at 3am.
    Sanctimonious "..stay up all night without any good excuse.." ok Dad.
    I have not defended anyone in this thread but you are not helping yourself by getting abusive on a forum to anyone and everyone.Even after your tirade I do sympathise with your plight,but not with your way of expressing yourself.
    • Fella
    • By Fella 8th Oct 08, 3:08 AM
    • 7,615 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    Fella
    Surely someone who makes over 5,000 posts in a web forum and who is so addicted that they stay up all night without any good excuse (unlike me who has just lost over 30k and doesn't have many other cash savings) is in position to make sanctomonious comments about harnessing their emotions in a constructive way.

Those who think that tomorrow will bring news that all Icesave savers will get their money back with no problems are totally deluding themselves.
    Originally posted by NonGeographicalMan
    My last post before another attempt to sleep.

You haven't lost anything yet. And hopefully you won't.

And you certainly won't lose "over 30K": You posted before that you had less than 35K with Icesave - & everything above approx 16K is covered by the "normal" FSCS.

So your maximum possible loss is 16K? (which I agree would be horrible). However, like I said before, it's most unlikely you'll lose anything for the simple reason that this Government won't want to lose 300,000 votes in an election year.

Without wishing to sound patronizing, walk away from your keyboard for awhile, there's nothing to be gained on this forum right now, no-one will have any useful news before tomorrow.
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 3:15 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    So your maximum possible loss is 16K? (which I agree would be horrible). However, like I said before, it's most unlikely you'll lose anything for the simple reason that this Government won't want to lose 300,000 votes in an election year.
    Have you not heard of the sad case of Equitable Life in which my mother had a part of her pension (now moved elsewhere but after significant losses in doing so)

Labour doesn't care about the affluent middle classes getting screwed (their stereotypical profile of those in Icesave as its "abroad"!) and only rushes to defend the jobs and savings of cloth cap wearing whippet walkers up north who can be relied on to vote Labour.

Without wishing to sound patronizing, walk away from your keyboard for awhile, there's nothing to be gained on this forum right now, no-one will have any useful news before tomorrow.
    I was about to do that as I have let off all the steam and will now relapse quietly in to despair. No doubt my lifetime ban from the main architect of my misfortunes awaits me in the morning. Unless of course he can show he is a bigger man than I imagine him to be and so that he can take it on the chin.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Oct 08, 3:19 AM
    • 17,237 Posts
    • 13,427 Thanks
    hollydays
    Have you not heard of the sad case of Equitable Life in which my mother had a part of her pension (now moved elsewhere but after significant losses in doing so)

Labour doesn't care about the affluent middle classes getting screwed (their stereotypical profile of those in Icesave as its "abroad"!) and only rushes to defend the jobs and savings of cloth cap wearing whippet walkers up north who can be relied on to vote Labour.

I was about to do that as I have let off all the steam and will now relapse quietly in to despair. No doubt my lifetime ban from the main architect of my misfortunes awaits me in the morning. Unless of course he can show he is a bigger man than I imagine him to be and so that he can take it on the chin.

Oops! There's my sympathy just evaporated.
    Goodnight,try to get some sleep.
  • CTID
    what a pr@t!!

I can understand anger, but please vent it elsewhere. For the record, I have more than your 35k invested, so I do know what you are going through, but petulant toddler tantrums doesn't help anything.
  • chiefgoobster
    Surely people are in control of their own destiny and are adult enough to make their own decisions about where to invest their cash ?
    If Martin told you to put your hand in the fire, would you ?
    Perhaps we should all keep what money we have in a biscuit tin in the cupboard like old people do/used to do. Or leave it under the matress until the dust settles.

On another note ......I wonder how many times Sarah has nudged Gordon this week and said " Oi you dork, get up early today and stop dithering ".
  • Captain Mainwaring
    I swear I shall kick the dog if I hear another "if Martin" or "Martin suggests" or any other grimace making comment involving that man's name. It's like a schol playground and I am beginning to wonder just how many people have acted on his "advice" - frightening.
  • edwinac
    I am very sorry for you. Don't fret too much just yet. It's early days.

As for Lewis, he is just one man though, and one man a forum does not make.

I've no particular affinity to the Labour Party, but I think you should recognise the nature of the crisis facing depositors today. It has nothing to do with the Labour Government. And I would say the same if the Tories were in power - it wouldn't be their fault either.

This crisis is global. All politicians are puppets. Liberal parliamentary democracies are an illusion, a "false dichotomy".

That said, I have quite a lot of respect for Alastair Darling. He's been in the cabinet a long while. He knows the ropes better than those jeering at him from the side lines. If anyone deserves a little encouragement, it is Darling!

Tomorrow may bring better news for everyone... Bon nuit!
    Last edited by edwinac; 08-10-2008 at 4:38 AM. Reason: illusion not delusion!
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    • NonGeographicalMan
    • By NonGeographicalMan 8th Oct 08, 4:11 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    NonGeographicalMan
    This crisis is global.!
    Originally posted by edwinac
    But principally it started in the UK and the USA where the culture of people at the top getting as much as they can out of a company in the good times and then suffering no financial penalty in the bad times appears to be at its peak.

if directors of a company were financially ruined if it failed as they were responsible for a good chunk of its debts then none of them would take the crazy risks they presently take in order to get the highest possible short term salary bonus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,259Posts Today

5,994Users online

Martin's Twitter