Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Griffboy
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:42 PM
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:42 PM
    Worked it out now, no commas
  • Pssst
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:43 PM
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:43 PM
    Maybe there is a maximum amount you can move in one transaction..?
  • Griffboy
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:52 PM
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:52 PM
    Nope, I left 350 in there just to keep it open. Sorry, I bottled it reading all those articles. I think I'll put it into Barclays or something, not as much interest but at least I'll be able to sleep. If things settle down I'll put it back.
    • luvpump
    • By luvpump 2nd Oct 08, 6:54 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    luvpump
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:54 PM
    • 2nd Oct 08, 6:54 PM
    Halifax are doing a 6 or 12 months bond for 7.00%, ive applied & will be putting my Kaupthing money in there i think
  • Griffboy
    • 2nd Oct 08, 7:07 PM
    • 2nd Oct 08, 7:07 PM
    Halifax are doing a 6 or 12 months bond for 7.00%, ive applied & will be putting my Kaupthing money in there i think
    Originally posted by luvpump
    Ummm! Maybe, although I would quite like an account with access and be able to make transactions online. Probably get a lower rate though, but you can't have everything. What about Barclays, Lloyds TSB ? Can't see them getting into trouble.
    • Dave f
    • By Dave f 2nd Oct 08, 7:25 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Dave f
    • 2nd Oct 08, 7:25 PM
    • 2nd Oct 08, 7:25 PM
    Originally posted by luvpump
    I done the very same thing today. 28k into Halifax fixed for 3 months at 7% until the dust settles.

I pooped my pants too with the Iceland thing (Kaupthing). At least I can go down and smash the Halifax windows and shout at them from the street if they go under! I couldn't go to Iceland to take out my frastration with them.
  • Griffboy
    • 2nd Oct 08, 7:34 PM
    What about this one? Alliance and Leicester's* eSaver
  • snowball1
    I done the very same thing today. 28k into Halifax fixed for 3 months at 7% until the dust settles.

I pooped my pants too with the Iceland thing (Kaupthing). At least I can go down and smash the Halifax windows and shout at them from the street if they go under! I couldn't go to Iceland to take out my frastration with them.
    Originally posted by Dave f

Would take me ages to save that lol
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 2nd Oct 08, 7:39 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    Do people not understand that 35k is safe :rolleyes:
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
  • Griffboy
    Do people not understand that 35k is safe :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by sheslookinhot
    No, not taking the chance.
  • LucyTheDwarf
    Why is everyone rushing to withdraw their funds? Can't you see that if everyone does this the banks will certainly fall? You're protected up to 35k by FSCS, for Kaupthing, and under the passport scheme for Icesave... Just stop panicking please...
    Target Cash Net Worth: 25K by January 2012
    Progress
    May-08
    19.0%; May-09 40.0%; May-10 63.0%; May-11 58.4%; Jun-11 58.5%; Jul-11 58.9%; Aug-11 58.7%; Sep-11 59.0%
  • Griffboy
    Why is everyone rushing to withdraw their funds? Can't you see that if everyone does this the banks will certainly fall? You're protected up to 35k by FSCS, for Kaupthing, and under the passport scheme for Icesave... Just stop panicking please...
    Originally posted by LucyTheDwarf
    I didn't think I would actually withdraw most of my money, but I bottled it. It was spontaneous and I had a bad feeling about it. I do feel guilty though. I've not closed the account and would like to return. As things are going though that looks extremely unlikely.
  • DocMartin
    I don't see why you should feel guilty? I'm sure plenty of people have done something similar over the past few weeks - I have, and I make no appologies for worrying that money I've saved up for over 30 years might be at risk in the present climate. I've got little faith in the FSCS scheme - at least in the short term - and I think it's perfectly rational to want to try to protect your savings by moving them somewhere you think is safe / safer.

All those who eschew the idea that the governement wont let a bank go down and have faith in the FSCS have more faith in government than I have. They have shown themselves to be completely incompetent with computer systems / personal data etc - why would you trust them with your savings?
  • LucyTheDwarf
    Because it's not just our savings that are at risk here. The economy as a whole would take one hell of a hit if we all lost our savings. The government needs votes, and they do not need the entire economy to fall to the ground when it is more than stumbling already!
    Target Cash Net Worth: 25K by January 2012
    Progress
    May-08
    19.0%; May-09 40.0%; May-10 63.0%; May-11 58.4%; Jun-11 58.5%; Jul-11 58.9%; Aug-11 58.7%; Sep-11 59.0%
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 2nd Oct 08, 8:07 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    I don't see why you should feel guilty? I'm sure plenty of people have done something similar over the past few weeks - I have, and I make no appologies for worrying that money I've saved up for over 30 years might be at risk in the present climate. I've got little faith in the FSCS scheme - at least in the short term - and I think it's perfectly rational to want to try to protect your savings by moving them somewhere you think is safe / safer.

All those who eschew the idea that the governement wont let a bank go down and have faith in the FSCS have more faith in government than I have. They have shown themselves to be completely incompetent with computer systems / personal data etc - why would you trust them with your savings?
    Originally posted by DocMartin

Is that not what people are doing, flooding money into NS&I, B&B and irony of irony's,N orthern Rock.

People withdrawing money from NR was the reason it collapsed, to be saved by er, the Government :rolleyes:
    Last edited by sheslookinhot; 02-10-2008 at 8:14 PM.
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
  • SeanW
    I'm still putting all my money in Icesave each month.

Approaching the 35K mark, that's when I will stop, but I am not taking it out.

I was still topping up my B&B account too, I am only stopping now while I see what happens to rates.

I only stopped saving with Northern Rock because I couldn't listen to the Geordie accents
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 2nd Oct 08, 8:33 PM
    • 6,799 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    I'm still putting all my money in Icesave each month.
    Originally posted by SeanW
    I was.

Then I decided to top up my S&S ISA instead with the new money.... (Not touching the 20-odd K in IceSave. Any concession to moving money out of IceSave, if I do decide to, will be transfering my cash ISA over to my S&S one - nowt to do with the 35k limit.)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • shown73
    • By shown73 2nd Oct 08, 9:37 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    shown73
    It may sound odd, putting in a plug for ING, after all the rate cuts, but their websaver is paying 6.4% until March next year. You need an ordinary account , INGDirect, in order to move the funds into this account, but that's no big problem. Seems a pretty safe place to park it, for the meantime, although I suppose that there are some who would doubt the safety of almost anything at the moment. It's about the same rate as Icesave, anyway.
  • Uncle Ben
    Call me chicken, but I've just taken all my money out of kaupthing edge and put it in an English building society.

I ain't putting any money in iceland stuff. One of its banks has already keeled over and their money, the crown, is sinking like it was wearing concrete shoes. Soon the only use for their banknotes will be to shred into confetti to throw at weddings instead of rice.
    Perfect every time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,585Posts Today

5,477Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin