Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bravobeastie
    • By bravobeastie 30th Sep 08, 7:42 PM
    • 1,834Posts
    • 2,806Thanks
    bravobeastie
    Snowman Soup Questions (merged)
    • 30th Sep 08, 7:42 PM
    Snowman Soup Questions (merged) 30th Sep 08 at 7:42 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Snowman Soup is a perennial favourite on the Christmas board. Take some nice hot chocolate (look out for offers in supermarkets) and spoon it into a cellophane cone (you can buy these on eBay) until half full.

Twist and tape the top closed and trim any excess. Slip this into another cone (of the same size) and sprinkle mini marshmallows on top. Twist and tie the top with ribbon and stick a candy cane to the front. Print a label with instructions on how to make hot chocolate.

Here's rainmac's superb effort as an example. Scroll down for tons more tips.

Back to the original post...

I had a question re snowman soup. Why does it say to put a cupful of drinking chocolate in and then the instructions just say to add water? All the hot chocolate I've ever made has been only 1 or 2 tablespoons. Its just that 1 cupful seems an awful lot :confused:

This Forum Tip was included in
    MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 04-12-2015 at 2:52 PM.
Page 1
    • ikkle87
    • By ikkle87 30th Sep 08, 7:51 PM
    • 8,284 Posts
    • 179,660 Thanks
    ikkle87
    • 30th Sep 08, 7:51 PM
    • 30th Sep 08, 7:51 PM
    Have only seen recipes that say to add one packet of individual cocoa, so dunno hun x
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • mgardner
    • 30th Sep 08, 7:57 PM
    • 30th Sep 08, 7:57 PM
    I'm sorry, i can't find where the thread was that mentioned these and i haven't quite mastered the search facility yet but i had a question re snowman soup.

Why does it say to put a cupful of drinking chocolate in and then the instructions just say to add water? All the hot chocolate i've ever made has been only 1 or 2 tablespoons. Its just that 1 cupful seems an awful lot :confused:
    Originally posted by bravobeastie

Hi must agree with you I also only use 1 or 2 tablespoons with a mug of water. Are you perhas thinking of the receipe to make up a batch of this for presents, I think that uses a cupful,
    • bravobeastie
    • By bravobeastie 30th Sep 08, 7:58 PM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    bravobeastie
    • 30th Sep 08, 7:58 PM
    • 30th Sep 08, 7:58 PM
    Ingredients
    • 1 cup hot chocolate
    • cup M & M's or crushed Christmas candy
    • cup miniature marshmallows
    • optional candy cane (used as a stirring stick)
    Taken from:

http://www.essentialpackagingstore.com/projects/snowmansoup.php

If somewhere else says 1 individual serving then, i can live with that lol

Cheers hun x
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 30th Sep 08, 8:06 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 30th Sep 08, 8:06 PM
    • 30th Sep 08, 8:06 PM
    I think they mean "mix to make up a mugs worth" - that's certainly how I've read it LOL
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • rwaite
    • 30th Sep 08, 11:14 PM
    • 30th Sep 08, 11:14 PM
    They are going by American Cup sizes. Not sure what they work out to in UK terms. Lots of American recipes use cups for quantities not ozs and lbs.

You might be able to do a search on google/yahoo to see what 1 cup is in ozs. Hope that makes sense. xxx
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 1st Oct 08, 6:53 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    • 1st Oct 08, 6:53 AM
    • 1st Oct 08, 6:53 AM
    I'm going to use Cadbury's Chocolate Break as you add water to this and go by the measurement on the jar. If it is a silly small amount I am going to add enough of everything for 2 mugs. I'm not going to add M&M's, maybe some chunks of chocolate or just the drink mix and marshmallows with a candy cane.

HTH
    If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain
    • bravobeastie
    • By bravobeastie 1st Oct 08, 7:17 AM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    bravobeastie
    • 1st Oct 08, 7:17 AM
    • 1st Oct 08, 7:17 AM
    Yeah i think i shall go for chocolate chips too instead of M&M's. I like the idea of it and the crushed candy cane but i just know it wouldn't dissolve and would look messy in the cup (it'd put me off anyway lol)
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 1st Oct 08, 9:08 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 1st Oct 08, 9:08 AM
    • 1st Oct 08, 9:08 AM
    You could also replace the candy cane with a chocolate spoon instead Take one cheap spoon and dip several times in melted chocolate - use different chocolates and stagger the layers to give a fancy look
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • dallam20
    • By dallam20 1st Oct 08, 9:44 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    dallam20
    Aldi's have individual sachets of hot chocolate 10 sachets per box for 99p which I'm going to use to make these.
    Dawn
  • mary43
    I'm using a sachet of drinking chocolate, popping in a sachet of chocolate sprinkles I've got and putting it in a snowman mug with a little label for grandson to leave out for santa on christmas eve
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 7th Oct 08, 10:19 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Here's my snowman soup for my boys and OH (and one for me otherwise I will be left out!). I've got a mug each for them to go with it. I'm not sure whether to give it to them on Xmas Eve or Xmas Day? Xmas Eve I think with the other bits and bobs I've got/doing for the boys. I used 2 qunatities of instant hot chocolate (Cadburys), sprinkling of chocolate chips and enough marshmallows for 2 mugs.

• RustyFlange
    They look fantastic!!! I ordered 15 cello bags yesterday from the seller you used. When they arrive I will dissapear out looking for marshmallows/drinking chocky and other bits. how did you get the chocky to stay in the bottom and not mix?
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 7th Oct 08, 10:37 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    They look fantastic!!! I ordered 15 cello bags yesterday from the seller you used. When they arrive I will dissapear out looking for marshmallows/drinking chocky and other bits. how did you get the chocky to stay in the bottom and not mix?
    Originally posted by RustyFlange
    Thanks Rusty I followed advice on one of the websites showing how to do snowman soup and put the hot chocolate powder in a bag, sealed it up (I twisted bag and stuck with selotape), cut rest of cello bag away, put inside another bag and added the chocolate chips and marshmallows. It all sits together well, you just use twice as many bags this way I'm going to make up a couple more to add to pressies as have some stuff left over.
  • RustyFlange
    Thanks Rusty I followed advice on one of the websites showing how to do snowman soup and put the hot chocolate powder in a bag, sealed it up (I twisted bag and stuck with selotape), cut rest of cello bag away, put inside another bag and added the chocolate chips and marshmallows. It all sits together well, you just use twice as many bags this way I'm going to make up a couple more to add to pressies as have some stuff left over.
    Originally posted by rainmac
    Hmmmm I will need some more bags then!!! Thanks Rainmac appreciated
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
    • Glpark01
    • By Glpark01 7th Oct 08, 11:32 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Glpark01
    Those are fab, perfect for my xmas hampers x x
    • vikki_louise
    • By vikki_louise 12th Oct 08, 1:40 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 5,880 Thanks
    vikki_louise
    snowman soup?
    I often see people talking about snowman soup but cant find a post with what it is exactly, and how to do it etc. I came across a lovely one a few years back but was american and had things like hershy kisses etc. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you!
    Best wins in 2013 200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with 300 vouchers plus 1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
  • 98jdougl
    have a nosey on the crafty for christmas board... there are some links to different websites there

alternatively just type snowman soup into google
  • coxy07
    http://organizedchristmas.com/snowman-soup
    google snowman soup. Tere are many recipes.
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 12th Oct 08, 2:00 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    There's a thread here...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1189961&highlight=snowman+soup
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,928Posts Today

8,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin