Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BB1984
    • By BB1984 29th Sep 08, 9:29 AM
    • 1,142Posts
    • 6,335Thanks
    BB1984
    First-time house renovation
    • 29th Sep 08, 9:29 AM
    First-time house renovation 29th Sep 08 at 9:29 AM
    Hello, hope you can help.

My fiance and I are about to buy our first home - a 1930s bungalow in need of total refurbishment. With the exception of the roof and walls, it pretty much needs gutting and starting again.

My question is - does anyone know of any useful guides or online resources that would help us through this process?

We know where to go for help on individual DIY issues, and we have friends who are plumbers, electricians etc. What I'm looking for is a bit of guidance through the process as a whole, from start to finish - basically I don't want to forget anything, or do things in the wrong order.

I'm not completely clueless - I'm a structural engineer and so know a bit about buildings. But this is the first time I've project managed a refurb from beginning to end.

Cheers in advance!

"Live long, laugh often, love much"
Page 248
    • Iain469
    • By Iain469 25th Feb 16, 9:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Iain469
    Save on moving and storage costs when renovating your next home
    When we sold our last house we agreed to buy an old bungalow that needed everything done to it. We hired a 20 foot container from a local container storage yard. They delivered it (for £100) on to the driveway of the house we had just sold. I used the next few weeks emptying the contents of our house into the container. I kept any really valuable stuff in the house until the day before the container was to be picked up. The container was then taken to the storage yard and placed in a safe area which had cctv and lighting. We started paying monthly rental for the storage space this included insurance. I had left a small amount of contents ( and all my tools ) in the house to enable us to live there until the sale went through. On the day of moving out I had hired a transit van for the day and moved the remaining contents to the Bungalow. We then sectioned off one part of the Bungalow and started work on the rest of it.
    After we had done all the renovation work, d!cor, carpets etc we had the container delivered to the driveway of the Bungalow (another £100 for this) and unloaded it over the next couple of weeks. Simple way of moving all your gear at your own pace. N.B. If we had not been living in the Bungalow we could have had council tax exemption on it. This would have more than paid for both deliveries and storage of the container.
    • suisidevw
    • By suisidevw 27th Oct 17, 6:49 AM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    suisidevw
    Just logged on for the first time in years, literally years to see the forum has gone back to how it was before all the changes! Wonderful and this thread was a blast from the past that really helped develop our house.

Our renovation finished with a loft conversion adn we are now 'renovationless' other than the fact we now need to redecorate from the initial renovation!
    • spirit
    • By spirit 27th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,293 Thanks
    spirit
    Nice to hear from you Suisidevw!

Glad to hear yours is all finished. since I did mine, I've moved a few times! Once to a place in the same town, then 2 years later to oop North where both kids had moved.

Only stayed in W Yorks for 2 yrs and moved in April to be nearer to DD over the Pennines, to the South of Manchester.

The last house was only 15 yrs old, but needed a new boiler on day 2, and the showers both leaked!

this place is a1980s bungalow, very dated and the garden so overgrown that once I got the blokes in to clear, discovered it was 2/3rds bigger than I thought it was! Found allsorts in the garden from a mountain bike to an old treehouse! It took 5 big skips plus several bonfires to get rid of it all. Then I had new fencing to the left and rear.

It had an old wooden (rotten) conservatory that I've just had replaced, new composite front door, new internal doors. kitchen revamp, some internal plastering. All new flooring/floorcoverings.

I had vinyl put in the kitchen a few weeks ago but don't like it. Thinking of Karndean for in there. Had it put in the hallway here.

What's everyone else been up to?
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • moving1moretime
    • By moving1moretime 22nd Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    moving1moretime
    Hi bit of advice needed. Oh and I are not strangers to general DIY, but we are about to fully renovate an old property.
    We need
    New roof.....rewire...wood burners...oil central heating...new bathroom...new kitchen..possible wooden floor replacement/ treatment etc etc...
    My question is which trades would you employ first...is there a right or wrong way I.e electrics before boiler...or boiler first....
    Really not sure in what order to employ trades
    TIA
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Mar 18, 12:07 AM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 99,034 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hi bit of advice needed. Oh and I are not strangers to general DIY, but we are about to fully renovate an old property.
    We need
    New roof.....rewire...wood burners...oil central heating...new bathroom...new kitchen..possible wooden floor replacement/ treatment etc etc...
    My question is which trades would you employ first...is there a right or wrong way I.e electrics before boiler...or boiler first....
    Really not sure in what order to employ trades
    TIA
    Originally posted by moving1moretime
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

It would be better to start your own thread, instead of hi-jacking this very old one.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Mar 18, 6:25 AM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 99,034 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Please press the button for Mr Grass above. He spammed yesterday too.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 23rd Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 26,628 Posts
    • 71,454 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Please press the button for Mr Grass above. He spammed yesterday too.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I nearly fell asleep before I could get as far as the spam button.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Mar 18, 7:08 AM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 99,034 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I nearly fell asleep before I could get as far as the spam button.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Even better is their post on Gardening. There, the short, semi literate post they made in the middle of the night was thanked by "another person," who'd only joined 9 minutes later!
    • TomsMom
    • By TomsMom 13th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    TomsMom
    Yoo hoo Andy-b. What a lovely surprise to see an email jump into my inbox telling me of a post from you.

Your baby is 7 where has the time gone?

Well, I'm still here too. Old age creeping up and bringing far too many health problems which are beginning to rather limit what I can do.

My house has got to the point where the redecoration merry go round needs to start, hopefully the sun room, kitchen and maybe hall during the winter. Upstairs is still good.

I desperately need the old pebbledash, which has blown in parts, removing and renewing. Do you think I can find a decent tradesman to do it at a reasonable price? No, and I've been trying for 3 years Unfortunately not one of my son's skills but he can help in other ways.

Good to hear that you can still manage DIY despite health problems. Which Christmas did you mean
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 13th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Bedroom and lounge still to be done (big ideas for the lounge) but need to figure out how to reach the ceilings as i don't do stepladders now.
    Originally posted by andrew-b
    A couple of possible solutions - A pair of trestles with a board on top. Not particularly sturdy and also heavy to move around. A "hop up" platform such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-work-platform-900-x-490mm/6409p - OK if you don't need to get up high...

For my money, it is well worth investing in a scaffold tower - I purchased one from https://www.aluminium-scaffoldtowers.co.uk/diy-access-tower-sale a while back and wouldn't be without it now (other suppliers available). No problems reaching, gutters, high ceilings, or doing stuff in a stairwell. Just watch the "working height" - They assume you have a 2m reach, and the actual platform height is lower.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 14th Aug 18, 5:37 AM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,293 Thanks
    spirit
    Hi everyone

Andrew b, sorry to hear of your health issues, it sounds ideal to have your own spa to enjoy the fruits of your labours in.

This place is mostly done. Just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Finally found someone to replace the fascias, soffits and guttering. That was done last week. The guy came highly recommended from a frkend. He's certainly thorough and things have to be just so. In fact he questioned whether the conservatory replacement chap had taken off the fascia behind it and replaced. He didn't think it had and since the rest of it was rotten.......

So I got that guy back in to look. He had a bit of attitude and said he was there to replace the conservatory not anything else. Hey I'd asked him beforehand whether I should have had the fascia etc done first and he said no.

My fascia guy was here at the same time and what followed was a bit like handbags at dawn. Conservatory guy say I g her been in business over thirty years eff and the other, younger guy saying yes, you may well have been, but you haven't done it properly and all old stuff should have been ripped off first.

What he's done is stick flashing stuff to the old, paint flaking fascia board. I don't want a conservatory that will leak eventually as thewood rots. After some toing and froing, he's agreed to slide the roof back so other chap can replace the wood with upvc.

I used the remaining space in the skip to remove an old rockery. Massive stones some of em. I also discovered pretty much a whole bathroom suites smashed up and put in the ground there!

The only thing left to do then is a bit of a 're jig in the kitchen. The fascia guy will do that as is a joiner.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 14th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Yes some sort of scaffold tower was what i had in mind. Needs to be height of the screwfix hop up platform but larger platform with sides i can pull myself up on and needs to be stable and a big enough platform that i can crawl onto it and pull myself up on the sides without the whole structure falling over.
    Originally posted by andrew-b
    A very quick measure up on my tower. The minimum platform height is around 150mm with 240mm increments upwards. With the side rails in place, plenty of strength to haul yourself up on. The diagonal braces add further rigidity if you need a higher platform height. Even the basic package is very versatile in set up and working heights.

Most of the time I just need a platform around 600mm off the ground - For this, I clip the handrails in place and then fit the deck board. Much of the time not bothering about cross bracing. Still a sturdy and rigid structure.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 21st Nov 18, 10:56 AM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    SG27
    The most trendy way to transform your house and add a statement to your rooms is by restyling your interior with the help of wallpapers this particular season.

Wallpaper designs can easily convey the mood😍. But with such a beautiful wallpaper designs to choose, from plain to patterned, textured to metallic, photographic to holographic, itís more important to know where we should start.

Yes, choosing the best wallpaper for your living area can be a daunting task without any research.

So, here we are with the few Tips for choosing the right wallpaper and help you smart shop:

Always think about how you are going to use your space and walls of the room to create your mood and then look for different colors and wallpaper patterns that goes well. Wallpapers generally have a powerful effect over the way you feel so design components are preferably important.
    Be consistent with the style of your space and choose the pattern accordingly (retro, modern, vintage, victorian etc) that works pretty well with your mortar and bricks.
    Wallpapers are not forever. Most wallpapers are easily stripped and can be removed easily whenever you want.
    Always think and analyse carefully on how you would use bold colors, patterns and lines as these may look great in a cafe or a restaurant. If they are in your living area it can bring overcrowding effect for you.
    Take a bigger sample wallpaper that you want to add on the wall and hang it for almost a week. If you love it then never refrain yourself from buying it.
    Originally posted by Almasi_lovekenya
    Bit weird?
    • cherryblossomzel
    • By cherryblossomzel 21st Nov 18, 12:18 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    cherryblossomzel
    Bit weird?
    Originally posted by SG27
    Bizarre advertising, I think. similar post on a different board, which I think has since been removed.
    • LoveOurPlanet
    • By LoveOurPlanet 6th Dec 18, 11:27 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LoveOurPlanet
    I just want to throw my two-cents in here and advise that whatever work you do on your home, please be mindful of where it goes once it has left your front door. If you use a man-in-a-van service make sure that they are licenced and reviewed well. Fly-tipping on farms is a real problem because horrible people operate illegal (and often cheap) removal services and then dump the items on our countryside to avoid landfill tax. Recycle/sell what you can before resorting to throwing things away.

Ok preaching done - enjoy your new home and congratulations!
    • pkings
    • By pkings 9th Jan 19, 3:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pkings
    I am enjoying the before and after photos! Thanks for sharing!
    • SG27
    • By SG27 11th Jan 19, 11:26 AM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    SG27
    If you want to get guidance for a total refurbishment from start to finish for the house then check it online. It's sure
    that you will definitely get companies according to your requirements.
    Originally posted by abiinteriorsau
    No use spamming here. We are in the UK.
    • Dado2
    • By Dado2 16th Apr 19, 10:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dado2
    New heating
    Hi, i am decided to general renovating our house and i'am thinking about heating. What are you think about eco-pea coke? i heard that is really good choice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,650Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin