Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 40
    • basiaking
    • By basiaking 24th Jun 18, 6:01 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    basiaking
    Amazon Credit Card
    Can't see it mentioned on this thread but Amazon credit card now gives you 3 points on 2 spent at Amazon if you have Amazon Prime membership. This is equivalent to 1.5% in Amazon vouchers.
    • milleniumaire
    • By milleniumaire 6th Sep 18, 11:28 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    milleniumaire
    Unfortunately, it appears that only the Amex cashback card is supported by Google Pay (or Samsung Pay) for contactless payments. It's about time the other card companies joined the 21st century!
    • johnbhoy10
    • By johnbhoy10 9th Sep 18, 2:22 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    johnbhoy10
    Guys- built up a wee balance of 40k points on Amex Gold CC but need to cancel this while it's still fresh in my memory.......do i need to redeem points before i cancel??

Also, i assume it's still 6 months till you can re-apply??

thanks in advance
    Last edited by johnbhoy10; 09-09-2018 at 2:23 PM. Reason: .
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 5,878 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Guys- built up a wee balance of 40k points on Amex Gold CC but need to cancel this while it's still fresh in my memory.......do i need to redeem points before i cancel??

Also, i assume it's still 6 months till you can re-apply??

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by johnbhoy10
    Yes to both
    • johnbhoy10
    • By johnbhoy10 9th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    johnbhoy10
    Yes to both
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    thanks.

need to read up on avios or it's voucher time!!!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 5,878 Thanks
    Nick_C
    If you are planning on converting to Avios, then consider referring yourself for the BAPP card. It has an annual fee of 195 but you can cancel early and get a pro rata refund. 9000 MRs for referring yourself and 26000 Avios for spending 3000 in 3 months.

The BAPP card is definitely worth getting if you plan to take a long haul business class flight with a companion, as you get a two for one voucher if you spend 10K in a year. The voucher is valid two years.

Before you get rid of the Amex PRGC, did you get a supplementary card on the account (for a partner or family member). This usually gets you a 3000 MR bonus. No spend necessary on the supplementary card.

Amex also have a "Companion" credit card that accompanies the PRGC charge card. This comes with a 5000 MR bonus if you spend 500 on the "Companion" credit card in three months. It is not guaranteed. Some people have reported that they have not received the bonus as this is meant to be a targetted offer. But many people, including me, have received it. https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-companion/#GoldCreditCardbenefits

For more tips, see www.headforpoints.com
    • johnbhoy10
    • By johnbhoy10 9th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    johnbhoy10
    If you are planning on converting to Avios, then consider referring yourself for the BAPP card. It has an annual fee of 195 but you can cancel early and get a pro rata refund. 9000 MRs for referring yourself and 26000 Avios for spending 3000 in 3 months.

The BAPP card is definitely worth getting if you plan to take a long haul business class flight with a companion, as you get a two for one voucher if you spend 10K in a year. The voucher is valid two years.

Before you get rid of the Amex PRGC, did you get a supplementary card on the account (for a partner or family member). This usually gets you a 3000 MR bonus. No spend necessary on the supplementary card.

Amex also have a "Companion" credit card that accompanies the PRGC charge card. This comes with a 5000 MR bonus if you spend 500 on the "Companion" credit card in three months. It is not guaranteed. Some people have reported that they have not received the bonus as this is meant to be a targetted offer. But many people, including me, have received it. https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-companion/#GoldCreditCardbenefits

For more tips, see www.headforpoints.com
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Thanks so much for this mate.....will def look into that BAPP card.

With regards to the Gold Card what i did was apply and got the wife straight on as an additional holder during the application. Then with the 20k reached i referred her with me as the additional and we're currently working towards that. I got my additional 9k or so from an extra referral for a mate, hence the 40k balance.

I've heard of headforpoints and will have to have a closer look at.

Once again...thanks a lot.

Much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,262Users online

Martin's Twitter