Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 40
    • That Bloke
    • By That Bloke 16th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    That Bloke
    Not sure what risks you're worried about, it's not like they will be holding your money. They recently purchased Harrods Bank so I'd say they're doing OK at the moment.

Asda are dropping their rate in two weeks time.

Your choices are Tandem or Aqua for real cashback and Amazon or John Lewis for vouchers. I opted for Tandem.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    There are a few things to be aware of with Tandem though. They seem good, but there are 3 things that they don't support which would have been showstoppers for me if I'd realised before signing up (I'm not blaming them, I hasten to add. I should have checked).

1. They don't yet provide online statements. I find it a little ironic that the challenger bank is the only organisation that I get physical statements from.

2. They don't support Apple Pay, which means I'm having to get my wallet out again to pay for things.

3. They don't support having additional cardholders. I'd intended to use this as our joint card to maximise the cashback but unfortunately this isn't an option yet.

I've spoken to the customer support team a couple of times, and apparently all three of these are on their 'to do' list, but they can't give an estimated date.

Overall, I've been impressed with them. The people on the phones are helpful and friendly, and I like the fact that the app gives you such quick updates. If you don't need any of the 3 features above, you could do a LOT worse I think.
    • blitzboy
    • By blitzboy 17th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    blitzboy
    i too am in the same boat attempting to find a replacement for asda plus card. was looking at the reviews of the amazon card provider and they seem to be awful.
    has anyone got any real experience as to whether this card is worth having?
    thanks
    Originally posted by kevrex

I've been using the Amazon card for a few months and not had a problem. Transaction reports are fine, points automatically convert to vouchers once you reach 10 worth and add to your amazon account.

The only downside so far is it doesn't support apple pay, but this seems to be fairly common with cashback cards for some reason!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    eDicky
    Tandem / non-sterling use
    A few ways I've noticed in which Tandem differs from most other cards for overseas or non-sterling transactions:

When you want to pay off the amount of a foreign cash withdrawal you have made, the payment goes first to the cash withdrawal, not to any purchases made even if they have already appeared on your statement. This is useful when making such payments to reduce daily interest accruing on withdrawals. With most other cards payments go towards already statemented purchases first, so it's easier with Tandem. This was explained and confirmed to me when I enquired via the in-app chat, although I'm unable to confirm it by personal experience (this month).

Usually when a credit card is used to withdraw foreign currency from a MoneyCorp multicurrency ATM at a UK airport, selecting 'Without Conversion' to circumvent the imposition of MoneyCorp's own dreadful exchange rate, it is converted by the card and recognised as a foreign transaction without any cash advance fee (if it's a 'travel' card without overseas fees). But with Tandem this is not the case, the conversion is made at the MasterCard rate but the UK location of the ATM is recognised and a 'Cash Advance Fee' is imposed by Tandem. I discovered this when withdrawing $200 at Stansted recently - the fee of 3.54 appeared and was explained by a CS agent as above, but they refunded it as a one-off goodwill gesture at my request.

When you make a transaction or withdrawal in a foreign currency a notification is given as usual and it is shown immediately in the app, but only as an amount in pounds. Don't despair that you may have allowed yourself to be charged in pounds by mistake, a couple of days or so later when the transaction settles the final amount in both pounds and the local currency will be shown. Tandem differs again in this from most cards, where usually the provisional amount in both currencies is shown from the outset. The Tandem app doesn't display the exchange rate given, you have to calculate it yourself if needed.

The app is not yet showing any improvement in the couple of months I've been using it - hopefully it will do so - perhaps they need to poach a few decent app developers from Revolut..!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,556Posts Today

8,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin