Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 39
    • Mat_Money_saver_wannabe
    • By Mat_Money_saver_wannabe 22nd Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Mat_Money_saver_wannabe
    Hello All,

Advice needed please!

Used TCB whilst booking a series of hotel stays (Hotel.com).

Only one of the four visits registered on my account (funnily enough it was the cheapest one as well!!!)

I have tried to raise a ticket, however they have very unhelpfully said 'Can't do anything about it' as they are saying that they do not have the clicks registered, yet when I booked the hotel stays the pop up screen was displayed that stated that the visit had been registered.

Is there anything that I can do? I feel like I have been swindled out of about 40 cashback??

Thanks in advance
    MFiT-T2 #102
    Sept 2010 = Mortgage only @ 86,000
    Dec 2010 = Mortgage only @ 84,500
    Jun 2011 = Mortgage only @ 79,000
    Mortgage free June 2015!!!!!!
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 22nd Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    • 33,199 Posts
    • 39,146 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Hello All,

Advice needed please!

Only one of the four visits registered on my account (funnily enough it was the cheapest one as well!!!)

I have tried to raise a ticket, however they have very unhelpfully said 'Can't do anything about it' as they are saying that they do not have the clicks registered, yet when I booked the hotel stays the pop up screen was displayed that stated that the visit had been registered.

Is there anything that I can do? I feel like I have been swindled out of about 40 cashback??

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Mat_Money_saver_wannabe
    Maybe post in the "topcashback" thread , not here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4519857
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Keeping Motivated
    • By Keeping Motivated 22nd Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3,564 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    Keeping Motivated
    Hi

I have a large purchase to the value of over 2000 coming up and even though I have the cash to pay it I would like to maximize any possible cashback or bonus by initially paying by card.

We have an AMEX Gold card already (I am a named card holder not the main) and a Tesco credit card (again named cardholder) already.

What card do you think would be most beneficial to me? I have looked on the main site and the AMEX Everyday would give me 5% on the first 2000 spend (so 100 cashback) but as I am a named holder on the gold card would I be eligible for this offer?

Or maybe I could apply for the Gold Card in my name too as I am currently only a named on my husbands account?

Any suggestions/guidance appreciated

Thanks

*Edited to add* the company I am purchasing from don't accept AMEX so I need to find another card that benefits me on this purchase. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Keeping Motivated; 22-01-2018 at 2:37 PM.
    3-6 Mth EF #24 - 6000/6000 Next Target 3790/6000
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 22nd Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    A lot of places don't take AMEX because of the charges to the retailer.
    You might no be able to use it on your large purchase so I'd check first.

It does depend on where you live/shop but we live in central london and most restaurants we go to don't take it.
    • Keeping Motivated
    • By Keeping Motivated 22nd Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 3,564 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    Keeping Motivated
    A lot of places don't take AMEX because of the charges to the retailer.
    You might no be able to use it on your large purchase so I'd check first.

It does depend on where you live/shop but we live in central london and most restaurants we go to don't take it.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    I've just checked and they dont accept AMEX so thank you for prompting me to check.

So back to the drawing board and looking at what card to pay with for maximum benefit.
    3-6 Mth EF #24 - 6000/6000 Next Target 3790/6000
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 22nd Jan 18, 11:05 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    dj1471

Originally posted by Mat_Money_saver_wannabe
    Did you click through TCB before each booking, clearing cookies each time?
    I've just checked and they dont accept AMEX so thank you for prompting me to check.

So back to the drawing board and looking at what card to pay with for maximum benefit.
    Originally posted by Keeping Motivated
    The best you can get is 0.5% in vouchers - Amazon, Asda or John Lewis. Each give a 10 bonus for applying (Asda through Quidco / TopCashback).

A better option might be to get a 0% purchases card and keep the cash in an interest-paying account?
    • Mat_Money_saver_wannabe
    • By Mat_Money_saver_wannabe 4th Feb 18, 12:46 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Mat_Money_saver_wannabe
    Sorry about that Browntoa. I don't post often. Easy to get confused!
    MFiT-T2 #102
    Sept 2010 = Mortgage only @ 86,000
    Dec 2010 = Mortgage only @ 84,500
    Jun 2011 = Mortgage only @ 79,000
    Mortgage free June 2015!!!!!!
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 9th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Hi folks,

Tandem Bank have launched a new cashback credit card - paying 0.5%.

You can read our write-up of the product in our Cashback Credit Cards guide.
    • Bunfoo
    • By Bunfoo 11th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bunfoo
    Hey folks - apologies if this is the wrong thread (first post on these forums).

I!!!8217;m trying to find a credit card that gives rewards AND 0% charges for purchases abroad. I travel a lot for work but have a big holiday coming up and want to maximise the rewards from it (without being charged 3% per transaction).

I!!!8217;ve been searching but I don!!!8217;t think it exists.
    • ericthelobster
    • By ericthelobster 11th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ericthelobster
    I've been searching but I don't think it exists.
    Originally posted by Bunfoo
    Nor do I, or I'd have one myself!
    Personally I use a 'reward' card for all UK purchases, and have a second card for use exclusively overseas - it's always worked well for me. My UK card stays in my wallet abroad as a backup.

By the way - your apostrophes seem very poorly!
    • Bunfoo
    • By Bunfoo 11th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bunfoo
    By the way - your apostrophes seem very poorly!
    Originally posted by ericthelobster
    Yeah... not sure what happened there. Thanks for the feedback! I would do the same, but have a 0% Tesco credit card already. No point getting rid of that for a few months yet. Will look for a standard travel card in the meantime!
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    dj1471
    I'm trying to find a credit card that gives rewards AND 0% charges for purchases abroad.
    Originally posted by Bunfoo
    There are a few.

The Tandem card pays 0.5% cashback on all purchases with no fees or exchange rate load.

Also the Lloyds Avios cards (can only apply by phone now) earn Avios on all purchases with no fees or load.
    • In the dark yet again
    • By In the dark yet again 30th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    In the dark yet again
    Tandem? Had a quick look; new(ish) start up bank, had some issues with capital requirements in the past when a backer pulled but now back up and running. Me, a little risk averse so I'm going to pass.

Nationwide have recently cut the cashback rate to 0.25% so looking for an alternative; I know, I'm a bit slow off the mark.
    Amex is a non-starter for me.
    Amazon or Asda are 0.5% effective (I know, vouchers rather than cash but I can and do shop occasionally at both so 'near cash' for me) both seem viable options. Does anyone have real life experience with either or a preference with reasons? Both MasterCard so no issue there. Me, tending to tilt in Asda's favour but mind still open.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 30th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    dj1471
    Tandem? Had a quick look; new(ish) start up bank, had some issues with capital requirements in the past when a backer pulled but now back up and running. Me, a little risk averse so I'm going to pass.
    Originally posted by In the dark yet again
    Not sure what risks you're worried about, it's not like they will be holding your money. They recently purchased Harrods Bank so I'd say they're doing OK at the moment.
    Me, tending to tilt in Asda's favour but mind still open.
    Originally posted by In the dark yet again
    Asda are dropping their rate in two weeks time.

Your choices are Tandem or Aqua for real cashback and Amazon or John Lewis for vouchers. I opted for Tandem.
    • In the dark yet again
    • By In the dark yet again 30th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    In the dark yet again
    Risk? Reliability of new systems, level of customer support (God forbid it should be necessary), general security (probably totally unfounded) concerns with new, unproven providers - Yeah, I know, the long established providers seem more than capable of messing it up anyway so maybe a false worry..... just too new for me at the moment so Amazon it will be.

Cheers.
    • kevrex
    • By kevrex 30th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    kevrex
    amazon card ??
    i too am in the same boat attempting to find a replacement for asda plus card. was looking at the reviews of the amazon card provider and they seem to be awful.
    has anyone got any real experience as to whether this card is worth having?
    thanks
    It is better to contemplate writing a malicious comment that can make you appear stupid, than to write and confirm it.
    • That Bloke
    • By That Bloke 16th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    That Bloke
    Not sure what risks you're worried about, it's not like they will be holding your money. They recently purchased Harrods Bank so I'd say they're doing OK at the moment.

Asda are dropping their rate in two weeks time.

Your choices are Tandem or Aqua for real cashback and Amazon or John Lewis for vouchers. I opted for Tandem.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    There are a few things to be aware of with Tandem though. They seem good, but there are 3 things that they don't support which would have been showstoppers for me if I'd realised before signing up (I'm not blaming them, I hasten to add. I should have checked).

1. They don't yet provide online statements. I find it a little ironic that the challenger bank is the only organisation that I get physical statements from.

2. They don't support Apple Pay, which means I'm having to get my wallet out again to pay for things.

3. They don't support having additional cardholders. I'd intended to use this as our joint card to maximise the cashback but unfortunately this isn't an option yet.

I've spoken to the customer support team a couple of times, and apparently all three of these are on their 'to do' list, but they can't give an estimated date.

Overall, I've been impressed with them. The people on the phones are helpful and friendly, and I like the fact that the app gives you such quick updates. If you don't need any of the 3 features above, you could do a LOT worse I think.
    • blitzboy
    • By blitzboy 17th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    blitzboy
    i too am in the same boat attempting to find a replacement for asda plus card. was looking at the reviews of the amazon card provider and they seem to be awful.
    has anyone got any real experience as to whether this card is worth having?
    thanks
    Originally posted by kevrex

I've been using the Amazon card for a few months and not had a problem. Transaction reports are fine, points automatically convert to vouchers once you reach 10 worth and add to your amazon account.

The only downside so far is it doesn't support apple pay, but this seems to be fairly common with cashback cards for some reason!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    eDicky
    Tandem / non-sterling use
    A few ways I've noticed in which Tandem differs from most other cards for overseas or non-sterling transactions:

When you want to pay off the amount of a foreign cash withdrawal you have made, the payment goes first to the cash withdrawal, not to any purchases made even if they have already appeared on your statement. This is useful when making such payments to reduce daily interest accruing on withdrawals. With most other cards payments go towards already statemented purchases first, so it's easier with Tandem. This was explained and confirmed to me when I enquired via the in-app chat, although I'm unable to confirm it by personal experience (this month).

Usually when a credit card is used to withdraw foreign currency from a MoneyCorp multicurrency ATM at a UK airport, selecting 'Without Conversion' to circumvent the imposition of MoneyCorp's own dreadful exchange rate, it is converted by the card and recognised as a foreign transaction without any cash advance fee (if it's a 'travel' card without overseas fees). But with Tandem this is not the case, the conversion is made at the MasterCard rate but the UK location of the ATM is recognised and a 'Cash Advance Fee' is imposed by Tandem. I discovered this when withdrawing $200 at Stansted recently - the fee of 3.54 appeared and was explained by a CS agent as above, but they refunded it as a one-off goodwill gesture at my request.

When you make a transaction or withdrawal in a foreign currency a notification is given as usual and it is shown immediately in the app, but only as an amount in pounds. Don't despair that you may have allowed yourself to be charged in pounds by mistake, a couple of days or so later when the transaction settles the final amount in both pounds and the local currency will be shown. Tandem differs again in this from most cards, where usually the provisional amount in both currencies is shown from the outset. The Tandem app doesn't display the exchange rate given, you have to calculate it yourself if needed.

The app is not yet showing any improvement in the couple of months I've been using it - hopefully it will do so - perhaps they need to poach a few decent app developers from Revolut..!
    • geoff_ss
    • By geoff_ss 13th Jun 18, 12:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    geoff_ss
    Aqua confiscate's your whole year's cashback if you make one mistake
    I'm disappointed that the MSE cashback page, doesn't highlight that with Aqua cashback, if your account goes a few pence over their tiny credit limit, then all the cashback that you've earned for your whole year's use gets confiscated (on top of their large overdrawn fine).

So if they offer you 250 limit, it would take an dedicated accountancy mind to try to build your monthly spend close to that 250 (in an attempt to earn as much of the maximum 1.25 cashback as possible), without going a penny over.

They're also unlikely to ever offer a higher limit over time. You're permitted to ask for an increase every 6 months. I gave up asking on my 3rd refusal (each one a pointless 15min phone call). Aqua aren't interested in customers who pay their full balance each month, they want to snare permanently indebted punters, who they can keep surcharging.

From my experience, Aqua card's low credit limits, & its cashback confiscation clause, makes Aqua simply not worth the effort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,571Posts Today

6,333Users online

Martin's Twitter