Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    sturll
    Tyres - New or Part Worn
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:13 PM
    Tyres - New or Part Worn 22nd Sep 08 at 5:13 PM
    I have had a problem with tracking for a while, so much so i can even hear the rubber squeeking as it rolls unevenly against the road. I have finally convinced myself to get four new tyres since all more or less at nearing the limit.

The problem is i have always got part worn and pay 15 a tyre fitted and balanced - the tyres are usually a top brand like michelin or firestone etc... So i was looking online at basic prices and it seems that even the snidiest of tyres - brands ive never even heard of start at about 50 a tyre. Im starting to unconvince myself about new tyres, does anyone have any ideas or hints on places to get cheap tyres?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 22nd Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 10,951 Posts
    • 24,191 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    We tend to get part worn tyres as we quite often can not even afford to buy brand new ones.
    • steveo3002
    • By steveo3002 22nd Sep 08, 5:27 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    steveo3002
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:27 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:27 PM
    id rather a used top brand like michelin if i can inspect it for repairs before fitting

some of the budgets have almost no grip
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 22nd Sep 08, 5:32 PM
    • 10,951 Posts
    • 24,191 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:32 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:32 PM
    It's about using your common sense though and checking the wear before you buy though.
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 22nd Sep 08, 5:34 PM
    • 5,639 Posts
    • 4,881 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:34 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 5:34 PM
    Have you had the tracking problem resolved?

• anewman
    • By anewman 22nd Sep 08, 6:04 PM
    • 8,786 Posts
    • 6,259 Thanks
    anewman
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:04 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:04 PM
    Tracking is best sorted before it wrecks the new tyres either way.
    • darich
    • By darich 22nd Sep 08, 6:22 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    darich
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:22 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:22 PM
    I'm of the opinion that part worn tyres are not always the best option.
    They're the only contact between you and the road and you place your life in them every time you drive your car.
    I've known tyres that look fine but wear at one particular area - it turns out that a pothole had broken the steel band of reinforcement and the tyre wore out where the broken band was.

Depending on the car would determine the best tyres - if you have a small engined cheap older car then Michelin pilots may not be the best decision. But by the same token you might still have to brake hard or swerve and cheaper tyres normally have less grip. Conversely you wouldn't put cheap nasty tyres on a 3.0 sports car.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you don't always know what, if any, damage has been done to a tyre and it's fairly crucial to keeping you alive in the car.

I've generally bought a mid range tyre aiming for a compromise between price and grip. I feel Michelins are very expensive. I've bought Dunlop, and Firestone, Goodyear without any problem.
    Never bought a part worn and would avoid them - especially with my car being higher performance than most.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
    • Wig
    • By Wig 22nd Sep 08, 6:26 PM
    • 13,669 Posts
    • 7,367 Thanks
    Wig
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:26 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:26 PM
    Budget tyres new can be picked up for about £22 fitted. Why pay for a name, when those self same names all make budget tyres in their own factories and just name them differently. e.g. Riken, Regal, and many more
    http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/marketing/brands.asp

Also don't limit yourself to online retailers, I have yet to find an online retailer that can source me a cheaper tyre -all inclusive- than I can find locally.
    • photome
    • By photome 22nd Sep 08, 6:28 PM
    • 14,352 Posts
    • 9,842 Thanks
    photome
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:28 PM
    • 22nd Sep 08, 6:28 PM
    I would never buy part worn either, for the same reasons as above. A good set of four tyres should be less than £250 fitted balanced etc and then you are good for anoyther 20000 miles give or take and for most people that is 2 to 3 years of safe motoring. Thats a packet of fags a week.

If you want to go the budget route as advocated by Wig, I would agree try and source locally BUT avoid ambassador, they have no grip in the wet.
    Last edited by photome; 22-09-2008 at 6:30 PM.
  • Conor
    NEVER EVER EVER BUY PART WORN TYRES.

There is no guarantee to their history. They could have had a side impact that's damaged the internal structure and without an X-Ray, you have no way of telling.
  • Conor
    It's about using your common sense though and checking the wear before you buy though.
    Originally posted by Tarry
    And what about the steel bands? How do you check those? Would you know what counts as perished rubber or is it a case of "well the treads legal so it's OK"?
  • Conor
    We tend to get part worn tyres as we quite often can not even afford to buy brand new ones.
    Originally posted by Tarry
    If you can't afford to buy tyres, you can't afford to run a car. What do you do when you need new brake pads - go hunting through scrapyards?
    • Hotspur
    • By Hotspur 22nd Sep 08, 9:08 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Hotspur
    A few years ago we (at work) bought part-worn tyres as part of a safety survey and had them examined and tested. A large number failed on safety related matters, repairs, cuts, bulges, nail holes etc., some of which couldn't be seen by the lay person as they were on the interior of the tyre. In addition we worked out that part worn tyres were, in general, poor value for money compared to a new mid range tyre ('s per 1000 miles)

A new tyre will stop you in a significantly shorter distance, particularly in the wet, and I, like many others, prefer to be safer than take the chance.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 22nd Sep 08, 11:03 PM
    • 24,889 Posts
    • 52,353 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    NEVER EVER EVER BUY PART WORN TYRES.

There is no guarantee to their history. They could have had a side impact that's damaged the internal structure and without an X-Ray, you have no way of telling.
    Originally posted by Conor
    Using this logic you should always immediately change all the tyres on any second hand car you buy.

The question is always, why were they removed? It used to be that other countries had more stringent tread depth requirements than the UK (now resolved I believe).

I always put the cheapest new tyres on my ancient Peugeot estate. I don't find lack of grip a problem.
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 22-09-2008 at 11:08 PM.
  • big gay kirk
    Using this logic you should always immediately change all the tyres on any second hand car you buy.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    what he said....
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 22nd Sep 08, 11:12 PM
    • 24,889 Posts
    • 52,353 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    what he said....
    Originally posted by big gay kirk
    I did qualify my post after you quoted it because there is a subtle difference between tyres that are in use and ones that have been deliberately removed from a previous vehicle. Having said that I have bought part worns in he past and found them to be Ok.
  • Road_Hog
    I always put the cheapest new tyres on my ancient Peugeot estate. I don't find lack of grip a problem.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    A brave man to admit that, in most motoring forums these days, anyone who admits to buying the cheapy no named brands usually gets flamed.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 23rd Sep 08, 7:34 AM
    • 6,475 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Tyres are only good for 5 years Even if youve only done 50 miles by then!
    The rubber will deteriorate, As will the Transmission Belt! if you buy secondhand, how do you know how old, there is the year on them if you know where to look.
    • anewman
    • By anewman 23rd Sep 08, 8:23 AM
    • 8,786 Posts
    • 6,259 Thanks
    anewman
    Tyres are only good for 5 years Even if youve only done 50 miles by then!
    The rubber will deteriorate, As will the Transmission Belt! if you buy secondhand, how do you know how old, there is the year on them if you know where to look.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    I admit to being enlightened to this not so long ago. I think industry recommendations are 6 years though? Looked at mine and realised one was 14 years old but the tread was still good and the tyre condition good. Annoyingly the date code on this one was only printed on the inside. Got it as a set of 5 off ebay and I am assuming this was the spare tyre, and the reason I put it on the car is just it looked the best condition of the lot..

My GF had a 10 year old tyre tread separate from the side-wall which wasn't a pleasant experience on the motorway. Problem there though was the car was 10 years old and low mileage so the tyres had never been replaced and never failed an MOT yet they fell apart on the road.
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 23rd Sep 08, 9:01 AM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    I struggle to understand people scrimping on tyres, I value my life a lot higher than using part worns or budget tyres, then again I pay £110 a corner every 18 months for premium branded tyres.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

2,148Users online

Martin's Twitter