Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Noozan
    Help with cooking a goose please!
    • 23rd Nov 05, 12:02 AM
    Help with cooking a goose please! 23rd Nov 05 at 12:02 AM
    My friend is giving me a goose tomorrow! It's a wild one that's been hanging for about a week now. I'll need to pluck it but I have no iinspriartion as to what to cook with it. :confused:

I've had goose in the past and have simply poured boiling water over it, let it dry, !!!!! the skin a bit and then just roasted in a very hot oven.

I'd like to try something fairly simple and a bit different; any ideas please?

I'm also looking forward to some pheasant and grouse soon too, so any ideas for those would be good too. Thanks!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
Page 1
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 23rd Nov 05, 6:43 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    • 23rd Nov 05, 6:43 AM
    • 23rd Nov 05, 6:43 AM
    Hi Noozan,

I found this on Google, looks promising.

http://www.roastgoose.com/goose_recipes.htm

Good luck,
    Al.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • xueta
    • 23rd Nov 05, 7:39 AM
    • 23rd Nov 05, 7:39 AM
    My friend is giving me a goose tomorrow! It's a wild one...
    by Noozan
    If it's wild, then it may be quite tough and not roast well.
  • Noozan
    • 23rd Nov 05, 12:36 PM
    • 23rd Nov 05, 12:36 PM
    If it's wild, then it may be quite tough and not roast well.
    by xueta
    I did wonder that but thought it might be more flavoursome if it's wild? Anyway, it's free so no great loss if I end up having to dig a lasgane out of the freezer or something, lol.

Thanks Kiwichick, there's some interesting ideas on that site. Going to have a browse through them properly now.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • gooismeid
    • By gooismeid 23rd Nov 05, 1:31 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    gooismeid
    • 23rd Nov 05, 1:31 PM
    • 23rd Nov 05, 1:31 PM
    I remember reading a relatively simple Nigella recipe that involved stuffing a goose with mashed potato but for the life of me can't find it. Maybe worth looking up?
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • Happyroly
    • 23rd Nov 05, 5:21 PM
    • 23rd Nov 05, 5:21 PM
    For anyone else looking for a goose for Christmas Lidl have them in stock at the moment - 4kgs. frozen 12.99. (I can't take credit for this info - see Shop Don't Drop post by Researcher).
    Also re recipes a post on the same thread by TheFirs gives a good web site for lots of recipes - Thehuntingsociety.org.

Apologies for not being able to put links in!

Happyroly
    • chrislee765
    • By chrislee765 23rd Nov 05, 6:26 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    chrislee765
    • 23rd Nov 05, 6:26 PM
    • 23rd Nov 05, 6:26 PM
    Wild - According to hugh fernly wittingstool (spelly) this is best. I watched an episode of A view from river cottage recently and he made a 10bird roast turkey!
    -------
    Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
    -------
  • Noozan
    • 23rd Nov 05, 8:31 PM
    • 23rd Nov 05, 8:31 PM
    Well, I have just taken delivery of a huge goose and a brace of pheasants so I'm going to be busy plucking tomorrow!
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 24th Nov 05, 8:10 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 24th Nov 05, 8:10 AM
    • 24th Nov 05, 8:10 AM
    As for cooking the goose, I think it would be helpful to know what type it is. Can you identify it? There's a guide to identifying wildfowl & game here.

Different birds can require completely different cooking methods e.g. Canada Goose needs to be braised for hours ... like, erm .... 8

As for the pheasant - have they been hung? I would generally hang mine for at least a week - more in my case as I prefer them to be "gamey".
  • Noozan
    As for cooking the goose, I think it would be helpful to know what type it is. Can you identify it? There's a guide to identifying wildfowl & game here.

Different birds can require completely different cooking methods e.g. Canada Goose needs to be braised for hours ... like, erm .... 8

As for the pheasant - have they been hung? I would generally hang mine for at least a week - more in my case as I prefer them to be "gamey".
    by Debt_Free_Chick
    Eek, I hope it's not a Canada goose then....hang on, I'll have a look at that website...

The goose has been hung for 8 days and the phesants have been hanging for 5. They're out in the front porch at the moment as it's the coolest place I could find in the house.
  • Noozan
    I've had a look at some images and I'm sure it's a greylag goose.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 24th Nov 05, 8:58 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    I've had a look at some images and I'm sure it's a greylag goose.
    by Noozan
    Yummy - lucky you

Try greylag goose recipe in Google for some ideas. But you need to know the age of it - dry, scaly feet and a pronounced breastbone would suggest it's a mature bird in need of slow cooking in a casserole type dish. Otherwise, it could be roasted. Generally, for wild geese, one would simply remove the breasts and cook those. If you have Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Meat book he has a recipe for goose breasts with pineapple, chilli & soy which sounds lovely.

Let us know what you do ... I'd be interested.

No wildfowling around here, but plenty of pheasant, the odd woodcock and mallard
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 24th Nov 05, 6:53 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    For anyone else looking for a goose for Christmas Lidl have them in stock at the moment - 4kgs. frozen 12.99. (I can't take credit for this info - see Shop Don't Drop post by Researcher).
    Also re recipes a post on the same thread by TheFirs gives a good web site for lots of recipes - Thehuntingsociety.org.

Happyroly
    by Happyroly
    Here's the correct link for the site you mentioned happyroly:

http://www.huntingsociety.org/#recipes

Looks like there are some pretty good game recipes there noozan that might give you ideas for your goose. Let us know how it turns out.

a_b
  • Noozan
    Well, in the end I roasted the goose and then brushed mango and chilli jam over it about 15 mins before it was done and it was divine! There was hardly any fat though so I made sure I remembered to baste it occasionally. It's my first taste of wild goose and it's sooooo different to goos I've had in the past. The meat was a deep rich brown/red colour - almost like beef and I can't even find words to describes the taste; sort of slightly gamey/beefy/melt in the mouthy lol.

I also had some pheasants which I casseroled (skinned them to save having to pluck them) and the leftovers were made into a pie.

Now then, what can I do with the slow cooker full of goose stock?

And any ideas for a piece of buffalo?

Thanks!
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 27th Nov 05, 8:22 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    Oh Noozan, your sig does make me giggle. Just the thing to brighten up a cold day
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 27th Nov 05, 10:49 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Ohhhh you've made my mouth water reading that Noozan!

I've not had any wild caught game for a long time now, and not much hope of getting hold of any either
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• HOLsale

Happyroly
    by Happyroly

i got the goose crown from lidl this year (we're also having their lobster and crabs so didn't need the whole goose) we had goose last year as well and i cooked it like i do my turkey which is breast down and covered by foil til the last half hour then it's breast side up and uncovered

this year i will be using my george forman rotisserie! i'm going to stuff some roasted garlic (probably a few heads worth both inside the cavity and under the skin and i may put an apple inside as well, did that last year and it was lovely

oh, the goose crowns (breast only) are only 5.99
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 9th Dec 05, 8:00 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    i got the goose crown from lidl this year (we're also having their lobster and crabs so didn't need the whole goose)
    by HOLsale
    How do you prepare the lobster and crabs? I have a frozen lobster from Lidl in my freezer and have no idea what to do with it, as only ever had fresh.
  • HOLsale
    that's where i got mine too, i'm just as clueless and i'm hoping there are cooking instructions

i'll just google it and find out...

here's what i found

>>Third, frozen lobster tails tend to be tougher than fresh, so there may be a bit of rubberiness no matter what you do. Nonetheless, they will be delicious!

As to preparation, you can thaw them in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours or in a microwave oven (especially if it has an auto-defrost setting). You can cook them frozen, but they tend to be more tender if thawed first. Many people would broil them, but it's hard to keep sections from overcooking. You can bake them in a 400F (205C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes (if they were thawed in advance; longer if frozen). Brush them with a bit of butter or olive oil before they go into the oven. Serve with lemon juice, butter, or a fancier sauce such as hollandaise or beurre blanc.

You can also steam the tails for about 5 to 7 minutes. They will curl up as they steam, so for the sake of presentation, you might like to run a wooden skewer through the length of each tail. The steaming liquid (a cup is enough) can just be water, but if you use white wine, you could also use it to make a sauce when the lobster is done. Reduce the liquid in a saucepan and add a few tablespoons of tarragon, parsley or chervil and finish the sauce with a little butter or cream.

You can also grill them (oil the grill surface first to keep them from sticking), but it will take a deft touch to keep them from drying out. There are other options, too, after you steam or bake them. You can make a delicious lobster stew or bisque. Or put them in the refrigerator to cool and make a huge lobster salad.

Or do what the Mainers do cool them, cut up the meat, add a little mayonnaise, plink it in store-bought hot dog buns (a slice of lettuce is optional) and feast on lobster rolls. <<
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 10th Dec 05, 7:36 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    This has been posted elsewhere, but Lidl 4 kg geese are now @ 9.29 . I got mine yesterday and am looking forward to having it for lunch tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,139Posts Today

5,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin