Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 15th Sep 08, 8:50 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    • 15th Sep 08, 8:50 AM
    • 15th Sep 08, 8:50 AM
    Ooohhh look at me! Right at the top lol!

Pink asked me to repeat my question from the tail end of the original thread, so hope you don't mind..

I was having a sort-out & found a tray thingy, that is for making your own crisps in the microwave. I've never had the instructions or recipes to go with it, so I'm hoping you lovely peeps could help me out.

Many Thanks.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Jannie
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:11 AM
    I'm lost!!
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:11 AM
    Hiya,

I ventured into OS last week and was amazed at what I found - I had thought previously that it was all about recycling old bits of soap, squeezing them together and making a new bar - how wrong could I have been????

The thing is though, last week, when I was thoroughly engrossed in reading your escapades I came across a bit that told me about who Heinz sell their beans to and about Kelloggs not making cereal for anyone else. Trouble is, I can't find it again.

Can anyone show me the way back? It was a really long post.

Thanks Jan x
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 16th Sep 08, 8:18 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:18 AM
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:18 AM
    Hi Jannie,

Welcome back to Old Style. I think the thread you are thinking of is on the shop but don't drop board:

Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.

I'll add your thread into the Quick Questions thread shortly.

Pink
  • becky_sleaf
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:20 AM
    Quick questions on frozen chicken stock & lentils.
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:20 AM
    Hello...

Can somebody please advise me!? I need to know if it is ok to use homemade chicken stock from frozen or do I need to thaw it first?

Also...I've got red lentils & pearl barley & I'm wanting to make a chicken casserole in my slow cooker. Do I need to boil these first? Or can I wack them straight in? Also unsure of how much of each to add?

Thanks.
    Our 1st baby is due 29th December 2007!
    I'm hopeful that this get's me out of cooking Christmas dinner!

Baby Ruby arrived after 55 hours of labour & an emergency c section on Christmas Day at 14.41 weighing 6lb 6oz...And yes I did get out of cooking Christmas dinner!!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 16th Sep 08, 8:25 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:25 AM
    • 16th Sep 08, 8:25 AM
    Hi becky_sleaf,

I often use stock from frozen, if you add it to a pan on the hob it defrosts in about five minutes, but if you are going to use it in the slow cooker I'd defrost it first.

Red lentils don't need soaking and I also add pearl barley straight to the slow cooker but I know some people prefer to soak it first.

I'll add your query into the Quick Questions thread shortly.

Pink
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Sep 08, 9:13 AM
    • 39,907 Posts
    • 37,170 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 16th Sep 08, 9:13 AM
    • 16th Sep 08, 9:13 AM
    Ooohhh look at me! Right at the top lol!

Pink asked me to repeat my question from the tail end of the original thread, so hope you don't mind..

I was having a sort-out & found a tray thingy, that is for making your own crisps in the microwave. I've never had the instructions or recipes to go with it, so I'm hoping you lovely peeps could help me out.

Many Thanks.
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    I read this and thought "That's a 'Life's too short ...' device", but since you have it, I will make the following perhaps more helpful suggestions.

1. If it says who made it, browse their website. If it's a Lakeland product, they will almost certainly send you the instructions. Other manufacturers might have downloadable instructions.

2. If you google "cook crisps in microwave" (but I did it without the "quotation marks" you'll get quite a few hits, and you don't have to go very far down the page to find suggestions varying from 4 minutes on full power to 10-12 minutes. :confused:

3. Think very carefully. What makes crisps taste so good? Is it the potato? Or is it the salt and fat and MSG and other flavourings? Now, which of these ingredients will you be adding to your crisps in the microwave?

I await a roasting from anyone who's used such a device more than once.

And I will also say that I can imagine apple 'crisps' might be quite tasty, and occasionally more convenient than the apple itself. I found that on my google search too. But I'm not about to try it because I should be doing other things ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • sb44
    • By sb44 17th Sep 08, 9:13 PM
    • 5,182 Posts
    • 12,231 Thanks
    sb44
    • 17th Sep 08, 9:13 PM
    Boneless leg of lamb question
    • 17th Sep 08, 9:13 PM
    I have a rolled boneless leg of lamb that the butcher cut in half for me.

I am going to roast one half but was wondering about the other half.

The meat has hardly any fat on it, if I thinly slice some of it could I use it in a stir fry and kebabs etc?
    • hotcookie101
    • By hotcookie101 18th Sep 08, 7:08 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    hotcookie101
    • 18th Sep 08, 7:08 AM
    • 18th Sep 08, 7:08 AM
    Yeah lamb leg makes nice quick cooked meat for stir fries etc I also cook them like chops, use it in curries (although shoulder/neck generally cheaper and best for long cooking) don't slice it too thin if using for kebabs/steaks etc-it is lean and could dry out a little
    I have a few lamb steaks in the freezer that I am planning to make this with-looks ever so tasty!
  • mumsrevenge
    fabric conditioner
    Hi,

Quite a while ago someone posted a way to make your own fabric conditioner very cheaply using essential oils and water, I have searched but can't find the quantities anywhere......can anyone remember them and does the conditioner work well? Many thanks you lovely people.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 18th Sep 08, 10:02 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi mumsrevenge

There are couple of posts here and here that may help.

Or have a look at these threads:

Homeade Fabric Conditioner

fabric softener

Pink
  • mumsrevenge
    Oh! Thanks, off to give it a go........ feel a bit of kitchen chemistry coming on !!!!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 19th Sep 08, 8:54 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Don't know quite how to describe this, so please bear with me

I'm saving veggie bits to make a stock--making that the 1st cooking.
    I use the stock to make a batch of--say for arguements sake--spag bol, so 2nd cooking for the stock.
    If I then freeze some of the batch...will it be safe to use it given the stock base will be on its third cooking when it's reheated?

Perhaps not so much of an issue with veggie stock, but :confused: what about chicken or other stock made using meat bones? This frugality business is getting rather complex
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 19th Sep 08, 9:41 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Don't know quite how to describe this, so please bear with me

I'm saving veggie bits to make a stock--making that the 1st cooking.
    I use the stock to make a batch of--say for arguements sake--spag bol, so 2nd cooking for the stock.
    If I then freeze some of the batch...will it be safe to use it given the stock base will be on its third cooking when it's reheated?

Perhaps not so much of an issue with veggie stock, but :confused: what about chicken or other stock made using meat bones? This frugality business is getting rather complex
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    I've often wondered about that one myself. I freeze end of veg bits and pieces and when I have enough I use them to make a stock with a chicken carcass. I then usually re-freeze it and defrost it later to make soup. Often there is left-over soup that I freeze for lunches.

So what I'm doing is breaking all the 'laws' of freezing but I think providing the stock/soup is cooled and frozen quickly then reheated until piping hot it's fine. We've certainly survived eating the reheated soup with no problems.

Pink
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 22nd Sep 08, 10:09 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    I have 10 eggs past their date, am after the simplest way to use them up other than egg custard, have searched but cant find an egg glut thread. Had quiche tonight still got 10 left! thanks.
    Last edited by queen of string; 22-09-2008 at 10:13 PM.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 22nd Sep 08, 10:16 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    I have 10 eggs past their date, am after the simplest way to use them up other than egg custard, have searched but cant find an egg glut thread thanks.
    Originally posted by queen of string
    If you whisk the eggs, you can freeze them, and then use for omelettes/cakes

Or try this thread: Eggs eggs and more eggs!

Nikki x
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 22nd Sep 08, 10:22 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    thanks nikki, didnt find that when I searched eggs :-S didnt know you could freeze them either. ta very much
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • Treacle
    Cooking a gigantic potato?
    Hi all,

The farmer next door has given us the most gigantic potato, I'm just wondering how best to cook it - I'd like to keep it in it's jacket but I've no idea how long it would take in the oven, do you think I could wap it into the slow cooker for the day, maybe in some foil? Then I could half it, mix something yummy into it and cheese on top to pop in the oven to crisp up? What do you think?
  • sweetnskint
    if got microwave you could zap it in there for a bit then finish off in oven for perfect crispy skin! yum! 15-20 mins in oven if do it this way!-hope this helps!
  • avinabacca
    If you were going to do it in the oven, see if you can stick a couple of metal skewers all the way through it (kebab-stylee!) when you put it in to cook. This'll help cook it from the inside, as the skewers get heated in the oven and conduct the heat to the inside of the spud.

Slow-cooker should be fine, though - never used them for spuds myself (normally use the main oven, or microwave to start and then the oven to crisp up some), but I know of plenty who do use it that way.

Hmmmm, you've got me thinking about jacket-spud dinner for tonight now, too........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,153Posts Today

6,749Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin