Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertha
    • By bertha 12th Sep 08, 8:11 AM
    • 205Posts
    • 88Thanks
    bertha
    Ultimate old styling????
    • 12th Sep 08, 8:11 AM
    Ultimate old styling???? 12th Sep 08 at 8:11 AM
    To bring back memories and to track down old style products
    www.carbolicsoap.com
    Not just carbolic soap but Reckitt's Blue, wash boards, Pickles ointment, dolly pegs, fly papers and much, much more!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 16-09-2008 at 5:01 PM.
Page 1
  • moanymoany
    • 12th Sep 08, 8:28 AM
    • 12th Sep 08, 8:28 AM
    I love the smell of Pears soap, but it dries my skin. Wright's Coal Tar Soap, Lifebouy, reckits blue - ahh, memories!

With the soap it is mainly the smell!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Sep 08, 8:32 AM
    • 5,301 Posts
    • 41,964 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 12th Sep 08, 8:32 AM
    • 12th Sep 08, 8:32 AM
    I still use flypapers. Sprays, chemicals etc are bad for my asthma. Loads of people I know use them. They don't look very nice but must be less polluting.
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 16th Sep 08, 10:36 PM
    • 6,038 Posts
    • 52,801 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    • 16th Sep 08, 10:36 PM
    • 16th Sep 08, 10:36 PM
    I just learned something new, thank you! My 'clothes pulley' is known as a 'Sheila Maid' and that I can buy carbolic soap online - excellent! Poultry & bird keepers bookmark that carbolic soap site, as I was always told to use this to prevent/cure scaley mite. (This may be an old wives' tale but it seems to work and I know some budgie breeders that swear by it.)
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • oliveoyl
    • By oliveoyl 16th Sep 08, 11:10 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 97,255 Thanks
    oliveoyl
    • 16th Sep 08, 11:10 PM
    • 16th Sep 08, 11:10 PM
    What a brilliant little website... I might have to order a couple of bits... if you OS lot have left me anything!
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
  • classy
    • 17th Sep 08, 9:13 AM
    • 17th Sep 08, 9:13 AM
    Thanks bertha for finding this I'll definitely be ordering a few bits as xmas presents ( and for myself!).

And thanks to oliveoyl for the pot noodle tip I've always said the tub is probably more tasty !
    • eco
    • By eco 17th Sep 08, 12:15 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    eco
    • 17th Sep 08, 12:15 PM
    • 17th Sep 08, 12:15 PM
    I used to hate that school toilet paper, or tracing paper as it should be called.
  • zarazara
    • 17th Sep 08, 1:01 PM
    • 17th Sep 08, 1:01 PM
    newspaper squares for toilet paper. tin bath infront of the fire once a week.no fridge. no freezer. beef dripping butties for monday tea.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
    • want2bmortgage3
    • By want2bmortgage3 20th Sep 08, 2:02 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    want2bmortgage3
    • 20th Sep 08, 2:02 PM
    • 20th Sep 08, 2:02 PM
    my free newspapers goes straight in the recycle bin, occasioanly have a quick read, i'm now thinking of cutting them up for loo roll, maybe just keep a couple of standard rolls for guests. anyone else do this? must save 50 p (one roll) a week i reckon, 26 a year.
  • buy less things
    newspaper squares
    >>>"my free newspapers goes straight in the recycle bin, occasioanly have a quick read, i'm now thinking of cutting them up for loo roll, maybe just keep a couple of standard rolls for guests. anyone else do this? must save 50 p (one roll) a week i reckon, £26 a year."<<<
    You have got to be joking!!!?
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    I have been known to rip up a newspaper if we run out or loo roll on occasion.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 21st Sep 08, 12:42 AM
    • 114,204 Posts
    • 235,125 Thanks
    Quasar
    Newspaper is excellent to shine up all chrome fittings such as taps etc. Makes them come up really bright.
    Bread is like the sun: it rises in the yeast and sets in the waist.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 21st Sep 08, 12:45 AM
    • 9,462 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    Yes, and windows.
    Barney is my border collie.
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 21st Sep 08, 6:08 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Bertha - thank you so much for posting this link; it was a real trip down memory's lane. I've been looking for Pond's cream for ages so I will be ordering that and a few other things, too!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,202Posts Today

8,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin