Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Soapy955
    • By Soapy955 11th Sep 08, 5:25 PM
    • 270Posts
    • 817Thanks
    Soapy955
    Link to 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug!
    • 11th Sep 08, 5:25 PM
    Link to 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug! 11th Sep 08 at 5:25 PM
    Well I DID manage to find the recipe online, and as it is so easy and delicious I thought I'd re-post with the link.

I hope you all enjoy it!

http://www.desktopcookbook.com/recipe.asp?ID=29882

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 08-12-2009 at 7:23 PM.
    I'm so sorry if you were enjoying this thread and mine is the last post!!

I seem to have a nasty habit of killing threads!
Page 1
  • Beki
    • 11th Sep 08, 5:32 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 5:32 PM
    Thanks soapie!
    • rosy
    • By rosy 11th Sep 08, 5:45 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    rosy
    • 11th Sep 08, 5:45 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 5:45 PM
    DS2 has just made this and is eating it as I type. DS 1 now , having seen DS 2's effort, is now in the process of making his own. It is really quick and easy & does look very alarming rising up over the mug ( it looked like a leaning tower of pisa in the microwave! ) but despite that it didn't keel over, just drooped! They are going to take recipe to uni with them. Definitely 10/10 for novelty value and for getting them inspired to cook something for themselves :-)
    • Soapy955
    • By Soapy955 11th Sep 08, 5:49 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Soapy955
    • 11th Sep 08, 5:49 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 5:49 PM
    Glad they liked it!

I used a big mug and did it for 3 mins 45 secs in a 650W oven. I think it'd be lovely with a bit of custard and you only have a tablespoon and mug to wash up!
    I'm so sorry if you were enjoying this thread and mine is the last post!!

I seem to have a nasty habit of killing threads!
    • ead
    • By ead 11th Sep 08, 6:11 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    ead
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:11 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:11 PM
    i'm sure my daughter will want to have a go

many thanks
    • Fag_ash_lil
    • By Fag_ash_lil 11th Sep 08, 6:13 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 33,420 Thanks
    Fag_ash_lil
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:13 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:13 PM
    Well I DID manage to find the recipe online, and as it is so easy and delicious I thought I'd re-post with the link.

I hope you all enjoy it!

http://www.desktopcookbook.com/recipe.asp?ID=29882
    Originally posted by Soapy955
    Thanks for the link ..... it looks really simple ....

I haven't got any cocoa at the moment .... I suppose drinking chocolate would be too sweet to use ??? :rolleyes:

terri xx
    " When I'm good I'm very good , but when I'm bad I'm better " ~ Mae West ..
  • cagneyfan
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:21 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:21 PM
    thanks! will make it soon
    • jo132000
    • By jo132000 11th Sep 08, 6:31 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    jo132000
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:31 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:31 PM
    Wow...how cool, I may have to try this!!

Do you think it would work if you didn't put the cocoa in, to just have a plain cake?
    Wins for 2018:Popcorn, 11x bottles of Ribena, Pepsi Max,Pepsi max glasses & bowl set,Clogau Necklace, Blanket, Violet, Jack, x3 Mr Incredible toys, York gin prize,x3 cadbury bag & keyring, Smart-trike,bee learning game & reward chart.

Thanks to all who post the comps & please let the comping fairy sprinkle dust on my entries!
  • tomterm8
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:34 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 6:34 PM
    Thanks for posting the link Soapy. Unfortunatly, the resulting cake had a bit too much of a heavy texture for me, but it's certaily quick and easy.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 11th Sep 08, 6:41 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Microwave Sponge
    I always just half Curry Queen's recipe YummyYummy

Here's a quick and easy sponge pudding that can be knocked up in a matter of minutes and zapped just as quickly in the microwave for those "must have now" comfort food moments

The following quantities are plenty for 4 people and I often halve this to make a smaller version for 2 and cook for a minute or so less

Ingredients (basic sponge)

4oz butter/marg
    4oz sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    4oz SR Flour
    2-3 tbsp milk

Beat butter and sugar together, add beaten egg, fold in flour and add sufficient milk to dropping consistency. Pour into buttered microwavable bowl, cover with cling film, leaving small gap for steam to escape, and zap for 3-4 minutes on HIGH (based on 800W) ... leave to stand for a couple of minutes after.

BE CAREFUL REMOVING CLING FILM AS STEAM WILL STILL BE PRESENT!!!

Variations:

Syrup sponge - place 2 tbsp golden syrup in bottom of bowl before adding pudding mix.

Ginger sponge - add a tsp of ground ginger with flour (nice combined with syrup!)

Chocolate sponge - replace 1oz/25g of flour with cocoa powder.

Spotted !!!! - add a handful of sultanas/raisins to pudding mix.

Upside down fruit sponge - add slices of pear, apple or pineapple etc (peeled and cored) in bottom of dish before adding pudding mix (pear is nice combined with ginger, cinnamon with apple, or even syrup too!!! YUM!!!)

Jam Sponge - place 2 tbsp jam of choice in bottom of bowl before adding pudding mix.

Lemon Sponge - add 2 tbsp lemon juice in place of milk and grated rind of half a lemon to pudding mix.

I'm sure you can all think of lot's of other variations you can do too, adding fruit/spices etc...

Enjoy!!!!

Originally posted by Curry Queen
    Last edited by angelnikki; 11-09-2008 at 9:06 PM.
    • reverie
    • By reverie 11th Sep 08, 6:45 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    reverie
    Fab idea, thanks OP x
  • trying-very-trying
    Hubby had a very pleasant impromptu pudding tonight.
    I made this pudding up, doubling the quantities, and warmed up a tin of custard to which I added a teaspoonful of cocoa and a chopped up own label mars bar until the mars bar melted.
    Now, I'm not even a pudding person, but this will definitely need to be repeated
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 11th Sep 08, 8:08 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 20,708 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    To be fair soapy, both Pink-winged and Penelope Penguin posted that they'd PM'd you, and later Penny actually posted a different link to the same recipe ( somebody's blog, that was word for word). Intrigued by Penny's first post to you, I copied the recipe into a word document, as I was worried it would disappear Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I fear for my already ample hips
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • debbiemc
    I've just made this, we had it still hot with ice cream - very successful! Quite heavy and rich so you don't need a lot of it!

Debbie. x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No 1001 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • linni
    • By linni 13th Sep 08, 3:04 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    linni
    Tried it this morning and it looked disgusting until I cooked it! It came out lovely. Only trouble is the kids want me to make it again, and again, so am teaching them how to do it themselves. Great fun..... Thank you Soapy955 for this recipe...
    • skinnygirlnot
    • By skinnygirlnot 13th Sep 08, 3:53 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    skinnygirlnot
    Yuk!

Mine came out rubbery.:confused:
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 13th Sep 08, 3:58 PM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    I made it and found it far too dense as well. Thank goodness or I'd be making it all the time.

Thanks for the reminder about Curry Queen's pudding Angelnikki!! I'll be making the syrup one for pud tommorrow.
  • NickiM
    Thanks for the link ..... it looks really simple ....

I haven't got any cocoa at the moment .... I suppose drinking chocolate would be too sweet to use ??? :rolleyes:

terri xx
    Originally posted by Fag_ash_lil
    I am sure you could do. It might be sweet but it should work out ok. Try it and see.
  • just thrifty
    Thanks for this! We don't have puddings very often, but sometimes I take a real notion for a traditional pud with custard. :-)
  • caledoniaquine
    Thanks for recipe will have to try it sometime
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,916Posts Today

10,537Users online

Martin's Twitter