Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 8th Sep 08, 2:57 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    • 8th Sep 08, 2:57 PM
    Pontac's Sauce
    • 8th Sep 08, 2:57 PM
    1 quart (ie 2 pints) ripe elderberries, off the stalk
    half pint vinegar (any type)
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 shallots chopped very fine (I use 1 medium onion)
    6 cloves
    20 black peppercorns
    2 inches of root ginger

Put the berries in an ovenproof dish (pyrex is good as no danger of staining) with the vinegar and cook for 30 minutes at the bottom of a warm oven (250F,121C, gas mark half) then turn oven off and leave overnight.
    Strain off the juice into a pan, add all the other ingredients and boil for 10 minutes, then strain through a sieve and bottle.

This is a flavouring sauce, in the style of Worcestershire Sauce, and can be used at once although it does improve with age and will keep for years.

Eliza Acton suggests that it is good with fish, and it is also nice added to a pan of frying liver.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 8th Sep 08, 2:59 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    • 8th Sep 08, 2:59 PM
    • 8th Sep 08, 2:59 PM
    You can substitute half the weight of blackberries with elderberries in any blackberry jam recipe to make blackberry and elderberry jam.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 8th Sep 08, 3:06 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    • 8th Sep 08, 3:06 PM
    • 8th Sep 08, 3:06 PM
    See post 3032 on this thread for a recipe for elderberry cordial:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1007423&page=152
  • dragonsue
    • 10th Sep 08, 12:20 PM
    I make our years supply of cough syrup with elderberries
    • 10th Sep 08, 12:20 PM
    I take as many as I can get, wash them leaving them on the stalk and boil them up with enough water to wet the bottom of the pan. The berries burst and are then easily strained. I then add sugar to taste and bottle.
    It stores well in the fridge for a year, and I always replace it.
    When a cough hits one of the family I then give them a table spoon of the juice, either in hot water or neat depending on that members tastes.
    My Grandmother gave me this one.
    Of course if a cough is persistent you should ALWAYS see a doctor.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 10th Sep 08, 12:28 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 10th Sep 08, 12:28 PM
    • 10th Sep 08, 12:28 PM
    Hi Leopardlady,

There are lots of recipes on this thread that may help:

What to do with elderberries?

Pink
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 11th Sep 08, 1:14 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    • 11th Sep 08, 1:14 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 1:14 PM
    Mmm, elderberry wine!!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • hmkn
    • 11th Sep 08, 1:20 PM
    • 11th Sep 08, 1:20 PM
    use with apple (or blackberries) in pies, crumbles etc

HMK
  • jacky_horn
    • 12th Sep 08, 7:49 AM
    • 12th Sep 08, 7:49 AM
    Nine years ago, I made elderberry wine. We tried it after 6 months. It was disgusting. So bad my daughter made skull and crossbones labels for it. We dumped it in the loft where it was boiled every summer and froze every winter for 9 years. We had a clear out a month ago and were going to finally chuck it. Fortunately we opened a bottle to remember how bad it was. It was fantastically amazing!!!! Like proper bought wine despite its terrible storage. Best thing is - we have over 20 bottles. Had 3 so far and they are soooooooooo beautiful.
  • jomknight
    ELDERBERRY JELLY - 4lb elderberries after you've removed them from the stalk with a fork (doesn't matter about very little bits)1 pint water Juice large lemon or 60ml (2 fl oz) from bottle of pure lemon juice.
    or ELDERBERRY & APPLE JELLY 1.5 lb cooking apples 1.5lb elderberries 60ml lemon 1pint water.
    Method If using apples cut up, but do not peel or core, enough to make up the weight e.g. if using windfalls use the good bits only putting them straight into some water and extra lemon to save going brown. Put into the measured water & Simmer gently about 10 minutes until very soft. Add the elderberries or just start with elderberries if not using apples and cook all until soft. Fix up a jelly bag ( bought or made of muslin) and strain through without squeezing the bag. leave at least an hour and preferable overnight to get the last drop.
    Measure liquid into a preserving pan to each pint add 1lb WARMED granulated or jam sugar ( Silver Spoon Jam Sugar is a good buy at present) and juice of large lemon. Boil rapidly until setting point is reached. Pour into hot jars - smaller ones rather than 1lb size. If not using apples the sugar per pint can be 12oz plus lemon. Delicious as a jam, with ice cream or with lamb. Straining can be messy. I sometimes do it outside!
  • Adam Kadmon
    I made Pontiac (Pontac's?) Sauce last year - it's supposed to best after 7 years but it barely lasted past January. It was great, you could use it instead of worchestershire sauce but it also gave a richness to casseroles and stews, especially game. I'll be making it again this year.

I made a jam the year before with all of the wild fruit that were ripe at the same time along the Water of Leith - brambles, elderberries and some wild plums and cherries. It was damn good too!

So this year, I definitely want to make elderberry wine - I'll keep yous posted, if you're interested. Pontiak sauce too, if I can get enough. As for the jam - most of the brambles up here have got botrytis because of the wet summer, so jam seems unlikely. But you never know.
  • Feline123
    Sorry, I know this is absolutely the wrong thread to post this on, but I needed to do it quickly and couldn't take the time to find the right one. I hope somebody can put it in the right place or tell me where to put it as this is really important.
    I made an online order yesterday from Tesco, and used an e-code to get £7.50 off £75.00. So far, so good - the money was taken off my bill at the e-checkout. When the groceries arrived and I checked the invoice, the voucher value had not been taken off. I rang Customer Services (0845 so I'm paying for it) and explained the problem. I was staggered when the nice man said that, unless you get a code sent to you directly from Tesco, it is fraudulent! When I explained that I (and my friends) had been using these e-codes successfullyfor ages he became vaguely threatening and said they would not prosecute me for using earlier ones but might do so in the future!! Help!
    Last edited by Feline123; 20-09-2008 at 5:34 PM. Reason: spelling
  • joebloggs09
    Elderberry Wine water / Berry ratio
    Hi All

Having a go at elderberry wine , made abit of a bodge by straining the berries before the fermentation stage what should the berry to water ratio

Kind Regards
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Oct 10, 5:41 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    My recipe has 1.5kg berries and 4.5l water
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • joebloggs09
    My recipe has 1.5kg berries and 4.5l water
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Hi PP

Saw your recipe many thanks,only thing i have strained some of the berries already doh , so just trying to get the right amount of berry juice in Litres against water
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Oct 10, 7:15 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi PP

Saw your recipe many thanks,only thing i have strained some of the berries already doh , so just trying to get the right amount of berry juice in Litres against water
    Originally posted by joebloggs09
    Sorry, I don;t understand. Your OP asked for the "berry to water ratio". How do you mean "berry juice against water"?

Explain exactly what you did, and soemone may be able to help
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • joebloggs09
    Sorry, I don;t understand. Your OP asked for the "berry to water ratio". How do you mean "berry juice against water"?

Explain exactly what you did, and soemone may be able to help
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    sorry I just needed the the recipe In liquid measure as the berries are juice now ie 2lts of berry juice and 5lts of water for example

Many thanks
  • joebloggs09
    Elderberry Wine White Mould Floating on surface
    Hi

Just be doing some elderberry wine for the first time , the wine has been fermenting for a few weeks now, but noticed that a white substance has developed on the surface maybe mould I think but not 100% sure.

Any advice would be super Many Thanks
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 2nd Nov 10, 11:51 AM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 16,462 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    At what stage are you at with the wine. Not made elderberry for a couple of years but seem to remember my recipe involved fermenting the whole berrys in the liquid in a fermentation bin for about 10 days, followed by a longer fermentation of the seived out liquid in demi-johns.

As long as you are careful about cleaning and sterilising everthing and you keep it covered all the time it is unlikely to be mold (the alcohol also helps stop mold).

If the berries are still in it could be bits of them breaking down and rising to the top? Some yeast must perhaps (although most of this ususally sinks to the bottom).

What exactly does it look like?

I am sure some more experienced wine makers will be along shortly to help.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to 10 a day-November 610.22/750

Make up to 10 a day-December 73.84/620
  • joebloggs09
    HI Ali

We did clean everything on the fermentation bucket , I am wondering if its from the yeast

Many Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter