Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 1st Sep 08, 1:18 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you leave a small shop in the lurch?
    • 1st Sep 08, 1:18 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you leave a small shop in the lurch? 1st Sep 08 at 1:18 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you leave a small shop in the lurch?

In need of some new bicycle pedals, you nip down to your small local cycle shop. The kindly owner orders the required model and, knowing you’re buying the pedals, gives the bike a quick service for nowt.

Yet a few days later, you spot the pedals for £3 less in Halfords, available then and there. You’re very tempted to pick them up, saving a few quid and a week’s wait. You’ve not put down a deposit, so would you wait to buy from the local shop, call and cancel or just leave the owner in the lurch?

Would you buy from a high street giant, when you’ve already ordered from a small shop?

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you take the kids out of school for a holiday?

Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 09-09-2008 at 7:02 PM.
Page 1
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 1st Sep 08, 1:22 PM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    • 1st Sep 08, 1:22 PM
    • 1st Sep 08, 1:22 PM
    For 3 no, I'd rather use the independant store.

I went to Halfords yesterday to look for a new longer handle bar stem, the 17yr old spotty oik shrugged his shoulders and grunted at my request.
    So took bike up the road to an independent, and was fitted with the right part and on my way in 15mins. Am happy to pay more, when that more includes a decent service.
    • linni
    • By linni 1st Sep 08, 1:24 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    linni
    • 1st Sep 08, 1:24 PM
    • 1st Sep 08, 1:24 PM
    Hi Jenny

Personally I think I would stick with the small cycle shop because you never know when you may need them again and good customer service is hard to come by these days!!
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 1st Sep 08, 1:46 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 1st Sep 08, 1:46 PM
    • 1st Sep 08, 1:46 PM
    i would go to the shop i had originally ordered the m from
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 1st Sep 08, 11:38 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 48,358 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 1st Sep 08, 11:38 PM
    • 1st Sep 08, 11:38 PM
    stay with small shop- the price was good enough when you ordered, AND you got a FREE service.. doubt any chain(!) store would do that, or allow payment on delivery?
    Last edited by brightonman123; 01-09-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Long time away in real life, no web..
    Sometimes seen lurking on competitions forum :-)
    • exel1966
    • By exel1966 2nd Sep 08, 9:14 PM
    • 4,815 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    exel1966
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:14 PM
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:14 PM
    100% stay with the independent who has been good to you by giving the bike a free once over even though it probably works in their favour.

Good service is worth far more than 3 !!!

Sores like John Lewis don't have a good reputation and loyal customer base without reason.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 2nd Sep 08, 9:15 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:15 PM
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:15 PM
    I would stay with the small shop: we had made a verbal contract and I would expect the shopkeeper not to let me down, s/he has the right to expect the same from me.

Too many small shops have gone to the wall,which is why I cannot buy fresh meat, fresh fish, pet supplies, ironmongery etc etc round here anymore. Instead we have several takeaways, so called 'cheap' booze shops, a bookies and several empty shops: all the necessities of life -NOT!
    • Pound
    • By Pound 2nd Sep 08, 9:17 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:17 PM
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:17 PM
    I try to stay away from places like Halfords and more towards Local Bike Shops. People who work in LBSes tend to have loads of experience of bikes and you're going to get better service when you're taking a bike in for repairs.

It might not make much difference when buying some pedals but it might be a good idea to keep a good relationship with your LBS because bikes do need maintenance and repairs from time to time so it might not be long before you're popping in again.

• rchddap1
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:18 PM
    • 2nd Sep 08, 9:18 PM
    I'd stick to the local shop too. Local stores need to be supported where possible. The service is so much better, and friendlier.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • Iguana
    • By Iguana 2nd Sep 08, 9:30 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    Iguana
    Larger store chains tend to have an indifferent attitude; I would go for the local smaller store.
    • Gorf123
    • By Gorf123 2nd Sep 08, 11:37 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Gorf123
    I'd go so far as to say that if I'd ordered them from Halfords and then saw them at the local shop for just £3 more, I'd cancel Halfords, even without the bike service. None of the nearest Halfords shops are so close that it would cost less than £3 in petrol to get there, not a safe bikeride. The nearest bike shop is within walking distance.
    • alanm
    • By alanm 2nd Sep 08, 11:41 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    alanm
    small local shop definitely.
    But this is surely hypothetical - whenever I compare Halfords with the local small shop alternative down here the small shop is cheaper
    • crystal clear
    • By crystal clear 3rd Sep 08, 1:28 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    crystal clear
    Yet another that would gladly pay the extra 3 for the goods from the small shopkeeper. To many big retailers out there with huge buying power to hold smaller businesses to ransom so to speak these days.
    The small business owner will no doubt have paid on receipt for the goods and offered excellent service for money, while the likes of Halfords would offer no service apart from point you to them if you are lucky shove them in a plastic bag, take your hard earned cash then hold off paying there supplier for another 90 days while they earn heaps of interest for it. p.s forgot to mention in that time another few small businesses have gone to the wall.

If i could afford to shop in small businesses all the time i most certainly would but on my budget this is getting extemely harder day by day.

regards
    crystal
    2.00 savings club =2.00
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 3rd Sep 08, 1:36 AM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    Definitely the small shop.

I bought an oven, hob and hood from my local electrical shop just last week. I've used them for more than 20 years, and whenever i've had a problem they've been extremely helpful. I knew I could get the oven, etc online cheaper, but I went with the local shop. First of all I asked if I would get anything off for buying all 3, and he gave me £100 off. I phoned them back later, telling them i'd rather buy from them, but told them the price I could get it for online. He said they had overheads. I understand that. He offered to meet me halfway in the difference, and he took another £40 off. I'm happy enough with that. I'd hate to see them close down.
  • Stampede
    I'd use the small shop, as much as anything because I'd feel we had a deal we should both try to honour. Did this last when I purchased a new fridge/freezer .. the private retailer gave me masses of info which was very valuable, didn't try to push me out as it got near closing time .. when I asked him if he price matched he firmly yet politely declined so I still purchased from him as his info help me make a better decision which I didn't feel right to just exploit and then go elsewhere even though I could easily have done so.
  • janaltus
    I"d stay with the small shop. Halfords tends to be more expensive and anyway good service is worth much more than 3 quid.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 3rd Sep 08, 6:02 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    I would also stay with the small shop, though I would let the owner know that Halfords are selling the same for less.
    Knowledge of competition is healthy for a small business.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 3rd Sep 08, 7:08 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    Seeing that he gave the bike a service for 'nowt' I would stick with the small shop.
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 3rd Sep 08, 7:09 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    I'd also stay with the small shop - you have a verbal contract with him to start with! Not only that, what would happen in the future when you needed something else from the small shop - if I was the owner I wouldn't ever order anything for you again if you had cancelled before.
  • slackboy
    Again, I'd go with the local shop. But when I went to collect them I'd let him know about halfords and suggest that he asks for a deposit/payment in advance in future.

If a shop was ordering something specifically for me I would expect to pay for it at the time of ordering.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,578Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter