Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • inkie
    • By inkie 2nd Sep 06, 2:49 PM
    • 2,579Posts
    • 2,486Thanks
    inkie
    Green tomato chutney recipe - advice needed please
    • 2nd Sep 06, 2:49 PM
    Green tomato chutney recipe - advice needed please 2nd Sep 06 at 2:49 PM
    After struggling with our toms, I have decided to bite the bullet and make some green tom chutney - the recipe states that 'picking spices' are needed. Recipe as follows:

5lb green toms
    1lb onions
    1 clove garlic
    1 pint vinegar
    1il brown sugar
    1 level tablespoon of pickling spice tied in a piece of muslin
    1 level desert spoon salt.

What on earth is pickling spice ?? :confused: please someone put me out of my misery as I want to get going with this.

Thanks

inkie
Page 1
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 2nd Sep 06, 2:56 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    newleaf
    • 2nd Sep 06, 2:56 PM
    • 2nd Sep 06, 2:56 PM
    Use half an ounce of root ginger and 8 -10 dried chillies, tie in muslin and bash with a rolling pin to bruise them.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 2nd Sep 06, 4:07 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 2nd Sep 06, 4:07 PM
    • 2nd Sep 06, 4:07 PM
    I think you can buy them ready mixed. Last time I used them I used dried chili, mustard seeds, peppercorns and coriander seeds because that's what I had.I think the main thing is to use whole spices rather than ground.
    • divadee
    • By divadee 30th Jul 07, 4:23 PM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 17,886 Thanks
    divadee
    • 30th Jul 07, 4:23 PM
    How Do I Sterilise Jam Jars? Also Green Tomato Chutney Help!!
    • 30th Jul 07, 4:23 PM
    Right I hate cooking I am useless at it!! But I am going to attempt to make some green tomato chutney as my tomatoes are not ripening.

I have find a recipe on the bbc good food pages and i think i can cope with it!!!!

But how do i sterlise my jam jars? I got some cheap jam jars from buying mint sauce in tesco (3p a jar) and gave the contents away

but how do i sterlise them now? I have washed in the dishwasher but do i need to sterlise them like you do baby bottles etc...? milton or tablets?

also what is a vinegar proof jar? have i got the wrong ones?

back to the chutney is the recipe i have picked a good easy one to start with?

This is my first real foray into the chutney world, and i am rubbish at cooking so any help appreciated
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 30th Jul 07, 4:33 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 30th Jul 07, 4:33 PM
    • 30th Jul 07, 4:33 PM
    Sterilising jars is much easier than you might think. Simply wash them in warm soapy water, rinse and put into the oven at 100 c for about 30 mins. Fill them as soon as you can while they are still warm.

Vinegar proof jars and lids are ones which won't corrode, so the plastic lined lids on your jars will be absolutely fine.

Any chutney recipe is a doddle. Basically all you are doing is cooking aload of veg/fruit and spices in sugar and vinegar. They main points to bear in mind are to use a big pan that can take being on the heat for a long time, and to cook the chutney long and slow so that it reduces and thickens. Just follow the recipe and you'll be fine.

One other thing, chutney needs to mature after it's been made -ususally 2-3 months. It is worth the wait though, and it keeps forever

Have fun
  • daisyroots
    • 30th Jul 07, 4:51 PM
    • 30th Jul 07, 4:51 PM
    thriftlady is right - if you don't want to put the oven on, you can even get away with putting them in the sink, filling them to the brim with boiling water, then emptying the water, draining them on kitchen paper and filling them while still warm. But this is more fiddly, the oven is easiest.
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 30th Jul 07, 5:19 PM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 45,144 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 30th Jul 07, 5:19 PM
    • 30th Jul 07, 5:19 PM
    If you have washed them in the dishwasher, that is enough IMHO. Though you will need to make them hot in the oven if you are making the type of chutney that needs to be put in the jars while still hot.
    • divadee
    • By divadee 30th Jul 07, 5:22 PM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 17,886 Thanks
    divadee
    • 30th Jul 07, 5:22 PM
    • 30th Jul 07, 5:22 PM
    wow thanks guys.

i will let you know how it goes.

its annoying i have to wait 2-3 months to eat it!!! i will be so upset if it tastes crap after waiting 3 months

i will put the jars in teh oven whilst i am making it tomorrow and then they will be warmed and sterlised to put the chutney in.

Thank you so much for helping out a novice. I am sure i will get it wrong
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 31st Jul 07, 1:09 PM
    • 3,728 Posts
    • 13,427 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    • 31st Jul 07, 1:09 PM
    • 31st Jul 07, 1:09 PM
    You can also sterilise jars which you have already washed by putting quarter of an inch of water in each and then giving a quick whizz in the microwave until the water boils. Often quicker than running the whole oven if you have only a couple to do. Just tip the water out before filling with your jam or chutney.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 31st Jul 07, 1:21 PM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Linda32
    Just wanted to say, it won't go wrong, its easy, really.

Looking forward to hearing how it all goes
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 31st Jul 07, 1:54 PM
    • 4,173 Posts
    • 10,055 Thanks
    Seakay
    The main thing is for the jars to be both warm and dry.
    I'm sure your chutney will be great, but if you can't wait then put some into very small jars or even pottery eggcups so htat you have a little bit to try in a few weeks to see how it is going. If you like things very sharp or vinegary then you might even like it young!
    Cellophane or cling film is ok to cover the eggcups in the short term - long term niether will stop the vinegar from evaporating so your chutney will get dry.
    • divadee
    • By divadee 1st Aug 07, 7:20 AM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 17,886 Thanks
    divadee
    well i am cooking it up now!!!!!

thanks guys for your help. at the moment it doesnt look or smell very nice but then the house just smells of pickling vinegar at the moment :rolleyes:

i hope it turns out ok.
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 1st Aug 07, 8:08 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 7,997 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Pleas don't be tempted to try it too soon or else you will be put off for life!!!! If you wait for the 2-3 months you really will get hooked
    • divadee
    • By divadee 1st Aug 07, 2:08 PM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 17,886 Thanks
    divadee
    well i have made it and even given a couple of jars away (with strict instructions to leave it 2-3 months)

heres a piccy of my green tomato chutney. Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by divadee; 01-08-2007 at 2:26 PM.
    • divadee
    • By divadee 1st Aug 07, 2:09 PM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 17,886 Thanks
    divadee
    im gonna try some red onion chutney next anyone got some nice easy recipes for that ?
  • free4440273
    that chutney looks awesome! can you send me some!
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS

THE PUNISHER MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT
  • darcyvuqua
    green tomato chutney
    :confused: hi i have read about the green tomato chutney well i think i might have to try it as mine are all green and not sure if they will ripen so like i said i might have to try it

thing is has anyone got a recipe i have started to keep all my glass jars as i dont want to waste anything

any recipes or ideas would be great as its my first year growing:confused:
    you cant change yesterday
    but you can make tomorrow better
  • mary43
    I read somewhere that green tomatoes are very tasty when they're fried. Think we'll have to do something with ours........they're ripening but really slowly.
    As for chutney recipe.........can't help you there but if you pop your request on the OS board I'm sure someone there has one........or maybe several
    Good luck
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • darcyvuqua
    thank you i think i started a little too late this year
    you cant change yesterday
    but you can make tomorrow better
  • nodwah
    I've made a good green tomato chutney from the Good Housekeeping step by step cookbook:

3lb green toms
    1lb apples peeled and cored 8 oz onions skinned
    8oz sultanas
    8 oz demarara sugar
    2 level tsp salt
    3/4 pint malt vinegar
    4 small pieces root ginger
    1/2 level tsp cayenne peeper
    1 level tsp mustard powder

Remove the skins from the toms (put in a bowl of boiling water and wait for them to split and then peel off) and then slice
    Mince or chop the apples and onions as fine as poss
    Add everything into a large pan
    bring to the boil then reduce to simmer for 20 mins or til soft and tender. take the ginger out
    Decant into jars and store for at least 3 months to mature.

I can't remember how many jars you get out of this sorry! Haven't made it yet this year.
    Last edited by nodwah; 24-08-2008 at 7:20 PM. Reason: sp.
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

413Posts Today

4,800Users online

Martin's Twitter