Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 13th Aug 08, 12:13 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Panasonic Breadmakers Tips and Quick Questions Thread
    • 13th Aug 08, 12:13 PM
    Panasonic Breadmakers Tips and Quick Questions Thread 13th Aug 08 at 12:13 PM
    We get a lot of quickfire questions and tips about Panasonic breadmakers, and I thought it would be a good idea to try to keep them all on one thread.

Please try to keep this to tips and quick questions about Panasonic BMs, rather than discussion.

Other threads you might find useful are:

I am in love with my Panasonic breadmaker

Is it worth buying a breadmaker?

The complete breadmaking collection

The Morphy Richards Fastbake BM club

Penny. x

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 06-07-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 67
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Feb 19, 12:04 PM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 55,255 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I bought a Panasonic breadmaker from John Lewis recently and I love it, the wholemeal loaves and the maple/pecan loaves from the bread maker manual are really tasty. But Iíve been struggling to find recipe books that donít have American cup measurements, and Iíve been struggling to find a good cranberry/pecan recipe (M&S do an amazing cranberry/pecan loaf and Iíd like to make something similar).

When it comes to adapting existing recipies from the bread maker manual, how much can you play around with it? For example if I wanted to make the whole meal loaf and add dried cranberries and pecans to it, would that be ok? And if so, what kind of amounts would I be looking at (bearing in mind that the whole meal loaf can be one of three sizes)?

Also I think the M&S loaf might be sourdough bread so I may have to adapt a sourdough recipe.

The large maple/pecan loaf required 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and 75g of chopped pecans, which I once increased to 100g and that worked well. So for a large whole meal loaf Iím wondering if I could add maybe 50g of dried cranberries and 50g of chopped pecans, but thatís just a guess.
    Originally posted by ianpwilliams

The recipes that use cup measurements are all American and search engine results usually throw them up first. Most UK sites use weights, and measures for liquids. If you like the American recipes I suggest you either buy a set of measuring cups from Wilco (or wherever) or just work out the volume in each size using the internet. I'm still confused as to what half a cup of butter looks like because they never say it should be melted so I just avoid them.

When it comes to adding ingredients that you particularly like that you can't find an existing recipe for, it's time to experiment. I add three tablespoons of seeds, sunflower or pumpkin, to most 50:50 loaves and it doesn't seem to affect the rise or bake at all. If they're dry ingredients start off by adding one tablespoon of each and see how that works. You can then build it up to the optimum level, which might be even nicer than the M&S one.

Check the ingredient list on the M&S bag to see if they've added any other ingredients to broaden out the flavour; it might not just be fruit and nuts. A teaspoon of a herb or spice might be just the thing that makes all the difference. Start off very cautiously and you won't waste any bakes that are too strongly flavoured, and that amount won't affect the bake in terms of the wet and dry ingredients balance.

If you do ever bake a loaf that's too strongly flavoured, slice it chunkily and break it up, shove it in a food processor and make breadcrumbs with it. The excess flavouring won't be too much if you use them as a topping or coating for something.

The other option is to read this thread from the beginning when you have time. There are hundreds of suggestions, queries and answers and you may find your own one has already been answered. Either way, it'll give you masses of ideas to play around with, and a wealth of new knowledge.

Someone else may be along in a moment with the exact answer to your query, but the threads been very quite for a few months so I thought I'd see if I could help.
    Keeping it AF
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 13th Feb 19, 1:12 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    Thanks, some very useful tips there. I do have means of measuring in cups but I’d prefer not to because I believe it’s a less accurate way of doing things. As for the M&S bread it’s from the bakery so there are no ingredients on the bag unfortunately. I’ll have a look through the thread when I find time, and in the meantime I’ll try adding small amounts of extra ingredients bit by bit each time.
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 13th Feb 19, 1:28 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    Can anyone recommend any good bread maker books that use UK measurements? Looking online s lot of the books say ďbread machineĒ suggesting that they may be American and therefore might have American measurements.
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 13th Feb 19, 1:55 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Can I suggest looking in your local book stockist for a recipe book that uses UK measurements or your local library. You can always order it on line.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 13th Feb 19, 3:17 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    Yes I think that’s the way to go, I’m sure Waterstones and the like should have something
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 13th Feb 19, 4:13 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    This was one recipe that I was interested in but the measurements are pretty difficult to work with!

http://www.breadworld.com/Recipe/Bread-Machine-Cranberry-Pecan-Bread/
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Feb 19, 5:21 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 35,819 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Some while back a poster on another thread mentioned a book called Brilliant Breadmaking in your Bread Machine by Catherine Atkinson published in the UK. All recipes are in metric, I believe that recipes were tested in Kenwood and Morphy Richard machines, in my Panasonic I just add ingredients in the order to suit my machine and have had good success.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 14th Feb 19, 7:47 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    Thank you for that, I did see it online but I wasnít sure if it was UK or not, Iíll give it a look.
    • jack2206
    • By jack2206 16th Apr 19, 5:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jack2206
    Indeed, for those who don't know too much on how to make bread, this is really helpful. I used to have difficulty in making bread at home by myself. So I bought a bread maker comes with some bread recipes, everything became easier.
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 16th Apr 19, 8:01 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    Does anyone else find that their bread maker sometimes makes a very loud metallic banging sound during part of the kneading cycle? Mine seems to do it most times, usually only for maybe a minute or so, but itís loud enough that it often wakes me up in the night (it still makes great bread though). Someone here seems to have a similar issue:

https://www.justanswer.com/uk-appliance/7jky2-panasonic-bread-maker-model-sd-206-making-loud-metallic.html

I have noticed that the paddle is very loose on the spindle (if I turn the paddle with my hand whilst itís on the spindle then I can rotate it a bit, not all the way around, but still a bit), possibly more so than when I first bought the bread maker a couple of months ago, although I may have just imagined that. I wondered if that might be the cause, but Iím not sure why that would cause a loud metallic banging sound.
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 16th Apr 19, 1:13 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    JulieM
    Are you making the smallest size loaf - with 400g flour? I find my machine is noisier when I make a small loaf, presumably due to less weight in the bread pan so it jumps about a bit more. The small loaf doesn't fill the pan as well as a larger loaf and sometimes goes a bit lopsided too, all of this could affect the noise.

I've had several bread makers over the years and I've never had one that's been quiet enough to use during the night!
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 16th Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    I rarely make small loaves, it’s usually the middle size loaf. I’ve made lots of different types with different types of flour, with/without fruit and/or nuts, but I couldn’t find a pattern regarding the noise.

What noises does yours make? Mind makes whirring noises but they aren’t very loud at all, it’s just the clanking noise which is loud. I guess I could make bread whilst I’m at work instead though.
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 16th Apr 19, 2:14 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    JulieM
    I would describe mine as a clanking noise, to be honest I've just come to accept it as normal and it doesn't affect the quality of the loaf.

I wouldn't bother making a loaf during the night even if I had a quiet machine, some say it's nice to have it fresh for breakfast, but from my experience you can't cut really fresh bread easily and it makes a mess of the loaf.

For me, it works best to make a steady supply of loaves and freeze them, I've usually got 2 or 3 in the freezer so I've always got a fresh one when I need it.
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 16th Apr 19, 2:37 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    Interesting, so maybe these machines do actually make a clanking noise anyway. I don’t really make them for breakfast as they take a couple of hours to cool down anyway. I guess I’ll leave the bread cooking during the day whilst I’m in work instead!
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 16th Apr 19, 3:40 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    JulieM
    Just a thought - any chance you've got the model with the yeast dispenser built into the lid? That makes a loud clanking noise for just a short while when it releases the yeast into the bread pan.
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 16th Apr 19, 5:11 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    I do have a yeast dispenser in my model actually. That would explain why it only makes the loud noise for a short time. Although I’m surprised that none of the reviews on the John Lewis website mention the noise. Still, I guess that’s what must be it!
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 16th Apr 19, 5:45 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    JulieM
    It hasn't gone unnoticed by Amazon customers, there are a few comments on there about the loud clicking noise, though no actual complaints.
    • ianpwilliams
    • By ianpwilliams 16th Apr 19, 7:46 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ianpwilliams
    Ok well, at least I know the machine isn't faulty, which is great news
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin