Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
Page 40
    • mustafa
    • By mustafa 14th Jun 18, 11:53 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mustafa
    Top tip. Do not hire from Do You Spain, Interrent, Auto-Europe unless you have money to throw away. Any problems report to Credit Card and to
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/consumers/resolve-your-consumer-complaint/european-consumer-centres-network_en
    When you are told to read the terms and conditions you will not be suprised when Auto-Europe T&C's have 4,632 words to read and understand. Interrent's T&C's I would sent it to the solicitors IT HAS 32,365 words.
    • drfrot
    • By drfrot 6th Jul 18, 8:14 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    drfrot
    Are Enterprise trying it on?
    We recently hired a Ford Galaxy from Paris Gare du Nord. First time I've hired a car abroad… and the last too, I think. When we picked up, we were encouraged to take out their extra insurance policy with a returnable €350 deposit, (and a €500 excess on damage)… a deposit they've already refunded. But now they're trying to take the full excess back off me again, nearly a month later!

The damage check that the agent gave us when we collected was very superficial; limited to a scan of the bodywork (there was damage we both saw and was noted down) and a quick look inside. No damage was seen there, but when we started trying to get our luggage in (there were 7 of us) the seats were a bit stiff to move and one in particular didn't move backwards. We asked the agent to help and he tried too, but although he managed to flip the seat-back forward, we all gave up on actually moving the whole seat backwards… it was pretty stressful down there, 7 levels down, in a cramped, noisy garage with cars trying to squeeze past us and a tired toddler in the party. It was a bafflingly complex array of seats inside that I had no idea of how they were supposed to work normally.

The fact the agent didn't highlight the seat as being actually damaged, even though he couldn't get it to work either, made me think it was unimportant; that the way the car worked inside (as opposed to cosmetic damage) wasn't part of the damage check or something. My thinking… these cars get used a lot, stuff never works perfectly, that sort of thing (my first time, remember).

So we have the car for a week, barely use it, get by without being able to move the seat back and return it in the exact same condition. (on Monday June 11th). The same guy checks it over, sees nothing is different and on the same day I get an emailed receipt from Enterprise and my Excess Deposit is refunded in full.

Now, almost four weeks later (Thursday 5th July) I get a PDF report in French emailed through to me from Enterprise's "Damage Recovery Unit" saying that (as far as I can work out – it's all in French) the seat chassis is broken, has been replaced, costing a total of €1,327,51 and therefore the full excess of €500 will be taken from my credit card in 14 days time. The report comes from a company called Dekra Expertise, in which the date of "accident" is recorded as 11th June and the "Date of examination" is 25th June.

So where do I stand? The damage was there when we picked up – the agent himself saw it and didn't bat an eyelid. He himself checked the car on return, said everything was fine and we got our deposit back. And now, nearly a month later, they've changed their mind?! Is this even possible?!

Was the car taken out of action as soon as we brought it back and has been with Dekra Expertise all this time? Have other people hired it since? (If it hadn't been damaged at our time of collection—which I suppose is the official line on their paperwork—then how do I know someone else hasn't done this?)

So, are they trying it on, or am I up that certain creek without that certain implement? What's my next step? Write? Phone? Insist on a report in English?

Current status:
    • drfrot
    • By drfrot 6th Jul 18, 8:52 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    drfrot
    So where do I stand? The damage was there when we picked up – the agent himself saw it and didn't bat an eyelid. He himself checked the car on return, said everything was fine and we got our deposit back. And now, nearly a month later, they've changed their mind?! Is this even possible?!
    Originally posted by drfrot
    UPDATE: Called my credit card (thank you bit of my brain that chose credit card for payment!!) and they said this is pretty much standard practice from car hire companies these days. I have to dispute it in writing with the car company, then if they still charge me, dispute that charge in writing with the credit card… and they will refund the payment.

What a terrible, terrible business model. Deliberately scam the consumer, safe in the knowledge that you'll get your money no matter what, 'cos the banks will cover your backside for you

• tonilk
    • By tonilk 26th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonilk
    Need help. Going to America and planning to hire a car. Used holiday autos and found a great deal and awaiting a credit card that has great exchange rates as recommended by this brilliant site. However do i book online using Sterling or US dollars?
    Thanks!!
    • Freddie Goodwin
    • By Freddie Goodwin 29th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Freddie Goodwin
    Car Hire industry use of ACRISS codes
    I recently booked an Economy car with Alamo. The example car shown on their site was a Renault Clio. When I reached my destination (Rome Fiumicino) I was offered a Lancia Ypsilon.

I argued they were not equivalent. In particular, the Clio has more cabin and boot space. They said they were both Economy cars and would not budge. Eventually I gave in and upgraded to a Volkswagen Golf (the upgrade was only 3 Euro per day so not a big deal).

I was still a bit miffed when I got home so I looked into it.

The car hire trade use ACRISS and SIPP classifications for all makes and models. According to ACRISS a Clio and an Ypsilon are both Economy (E) cars. So technically they’re right. But the Economy classification covers a huge range of makes and models with varying attributes.

In my opinion, the whole set-up is flawed and is designed to favour the car hire companies over the customer. They can legitimately show the "best" economy car on their website and then routinely give you the "worst" economy car when you arrive. At that stage, you either have to suck it up or pay for an upgrade.

There are some great tips on the main Martin Lewis site about car hire, e.g. independent excess cover. I wonder whether you would consider adding a warning tip about ACRISS codes / classifications.

Thank you.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 29th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    When we pick up cars in The States we just walk into the parking garage & take whatever we like within our chosen range. It's great because I have health problems which means that I can't get in many cars.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Liz Benali
    • By Liz Benali 2nd Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Liz Benali
    RecordGo Spain - DO NOT USE
    I hired a car from RecordGo on 4 July and had to leave a deposit of 110 euros with them as I had bought excess car insurance in the UK. When I returned the car undamaged and with a full tank of petrol to them on 20 July, I was surprised that they did not check the car for damage or check the fuel tank. I know now that I should have mentioned it myself as I now find that they have not refunded my 1100 euros deposit and have also taken £74 for petrol
    The only way to contact them is by an email address. I have already sent three emails with no reply. I have also sent them CEO two emails but again no reply. All the contact numbers they give point you to this email address.
    I am now left with a credit card bill of over a thousand pounds and with no idea who to contact about this.
    Any ideas please?
    Liz
    • richardw
    • By richardw 2nd Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 18,802 Posts
    • 7,893 Thanks
    richardw
    Have you got the petrol receipt?

Just contact your credit card issuer and do aS75 claim.
    Last edited by richardw; 02-08-2018 at 3:09 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Vfs001
    • By Vfs001 6th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vfs001
    Car hire excess for trucks
    Hey this is my first post so apologies if I'm making any newbie mistakes! I'm booking a hire car and they've allocated me a CHEVROLET D-MAX 4X4 2.5 (FQNR). I want to arrange car hire excess insurance but the providers are classing the vehicle as a truck rather than a car - would anyone be able to recommend a provider that would provide cover for one of these?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hey this is my first post so apologies if I'm making any newbie mistakes! I'm booking a hire car and they've allocated me a CHEVROLET D-MAX 4X4 2.5 (FQNR). I want to arrange car hire excess insurance but the providers are classing the vehicle as a truck rather than a car - would anyone be able to recommend a provider that would provide cover for one of these?
    Originally posted by Vfs001
    If you want a car, rent a car. You aren't being forced to accept a utility vehicle.

Have a word with https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection
    • dizzzy
    • By dizzzy 10th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dizzzy
    I've recently got back from Florida and hired a car with Avis. On arrival we had a 2 hour wait for our vehicle and as a gesture of goodwill the assistant gave us pre-paid fuel (return car empty) free of charge. She hand wrote "return empty" on our rental agreement and also adjusted the agreement to state that the fuel gauge reading on the car said empty (on the computer not handwritten).

On returning home we've had a charge to our credit card for $278. This charge comprises of $20 for whatever as it's not listed and $258 for fuel. I've already been in touch with Avis who have now refunded the $20 but not the $258 for fuel. I've emailed them the paperwork which states fuel gauge was empty and has the return empty written on it (it's a carbon copy so is obvious that I haven't written it on). What is my next step if they don't refund it this time? Does s.75 apply in a situation like this? Also I booked the car hire through British Airways however the payment for fuel is to Avis so does this make a difference? I don't really want to go down the route of S.75 as Avis is the one at fault but not sure what else to do.
    Last edited by dizzzy; 10-08-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    • Mogton
    • By Mogton 16th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mogton
    Hi, just wondering if the excess insurance companies cover for America? I have car hire with virgin package but only includes the basic insurance. They give you the option to upgrade but seems ridiculously dear. I was considering the alternative of upgrading with an excess hire insurance instead.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi, just wondering if the excess insurance companies cover for America? I have car hire with virgin package but only includes the basic insurance. They give you the option to upgrade but seems ridiculously dear. I was considering the alternative of upgrading with an excess hire insurance instead.
    Originally posted by Mogton

Already covered. Look here
    Excess car hire insurance won't cut it. You need full CDW and SLI.

Three choices;
    https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection option including CDW & SLI
    http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance
    or
    https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk ticking the Supplementary Liability option
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I've recently got back from Florida and hired a car with Avis. On arrival we had a 2 hour wait for our vehicle and as a gesture of goodwill the assistant gave us pre-paid fuel (return car empty) free of charge. She hand wrote "return empty" on our rental agreement and also adjusted the agreement to state that the fuel gauge reading on the car said empty (on the computer not handwritten).

On returning home we've had a charge to our credit card for $278. This charge comprises of $20 for whatever as it's not listed and $258 for fuel. I've already been in touch with Avis who have now refunded the $20 but not the $258 for fuel. I've emailed them the paperwork which states fuel gauge was empty and has the return empty written on it (it's a carbon copy so is obvious that I haven't written it on). What is my next step if they don't refund it this time? Does s.75 apply in a situation like this? Also I booked the car hire through British Airways however the payment for fuel is to Avis so does this make a difference? I don't really want to go down the route of S.75 as Avis is the one at fault but not sure what else to do.
    Originally posted by dizzzy
    Go Section 75. Don't complicate your life further.
    • Hoseman
    • By Hoseman 17th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    Hoseman
    Need to hire a car for Pula in Croatia. Any general tips and car hire companies to avoid or recommendations? Will look at via kayak or carrentals as suggested by Martin but video is dated 2014!

Also, with regard to additional payments so Im clear, is this is how it generally works? Going for full to full fuel btw and then will pay for car in advance (using above comparison sites) while the car hire co. (when I get there) will try to get me to pay a deposit for CDW. Best practice is to go to Money Maxim to get a better insurance deal and I will decline CDW offer and not pay anything else when I get there or when I take car back. Correct?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Need to hire a car for Pula in Croatia. Any general tips and car hire companies to avoid or recommendations? Will look at via kayak or carrentals as suggested by Martin but video is dated 2014!

Also, with regard to additional payments so Im clear, is this is how it generally works? Going for full to full fuel btw and then will pay for car in advance (using above comparison sites) while the car hire co. (when I get there) will try to get me to pay a deposit for CDW. Best practice is to go to Money Maxim to get a better insurance deal and I will decline CDW offer and not pay anything else when I get there or when I take car back. Correct?
    Originally posted by Hoseman
    You'll need a credit card for them to block an amount on the card in case of damage. Usually at least £1000.
    It's not CDW as that is included, but super CDW. Don't just choose the cheapest on Moneymaxim and don't just choose the cheapest on Kayak. Check the T&C.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    eDicky
    will try to get me to pay a deposit for CDW
    Originally posted by Hoseman
    A deposit or pre-authorisation on a credit card will be required to cover the excess amount of the CDW, if you take out separate cover for the excess instead of paying the hire firm for their expensive 'super' cover.
    • Mogton
    • By Mogton 17th Aug 18, 9:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mogton
    Great thanks for the help
    • Mogton
    • By Mogton 9th Sep 18, 8:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mogton
    Hi sorry just want to do a final check re the excess insurance and charges. If I get a passenger car via budget its 582. If I get via Virgin with basic insurance its 450. I've looked on bettersafe and it'll cost 80 for the additional daily coverage for our holiday so approx 530. Would there be any additional charges at the car hire company? . Just confused that I've seen some posts detailing daily charges totalling near 100$ I'd be saving £50 if not. Is it worth it as unsure what would happen if actually had to claim. I've driven in the states loads but car hire has never been this expensive. Also always gone with carhire3000 and had someone scratch the car and they didn't blink an eye. Thanks in advance.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 9th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    cubegame
    Hi sorry just want to do a final check re the excess insurance and charges. If I get a passenger car via budget its 582. If I get via Virgin with basic insurance its 450. I've looked on bettersafe and it'll cost 80 for the additional daily coverage for our holiday so approx 530. Would there be any additional charges at the car hire company? . Just confused that I've seen some posts detailing daily charges totalling near 100$ I'd be saving £50 if not. Is it worth it as unsure what would happen if actually had to claim. I've driven in the states loads but car hire has never been this expensive. Also always gone with carhire3000 and had someone scratch the car and they didn't blink an eye. Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Mogton
    I'd be surprised if Alamo Brits isn't cheaper.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

7,530Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin