Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,225Posts
    • 3,555Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
Page 39
    • johnbb99
    • By johnbb99 3rd Apr 18, 3:56 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    johnbb99
    Are photos of pre-existing damage accepted as proof?
    In order to avoid arguments with car hire companies about pre-existing damage, people take photos of the car before driving away.
    In particular, when it's difficult or impossible to get the hire staff to check the condition for themselves, what is stopping them saying the photos donít count (for some reason) or are invalid [eg because you tampered with the date stamp]?
    Anyone BTDTGTTS, and succeeded, or not?
    • cantabrico
    • By cantabrico 4th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cantabrico
    Thank you for that. I will definitely be avoiding them in future......
    • balsingh
    • By balsingh 5th Apr 18, 12:18 AM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    balsingh
    Recently went on carrrentals.co.uk and noticed the site has changed a lot. Having been a MSE recommended comparison site, over the years they have provided the best prices from many sites.

However, recent changes have been a step backwards. The site no longer compares a large number of sites including the likes of ebookers, expedia, auto europe etc. Also, only allows direct booking via their site now rather than taking you to the provider who gave the price.

Just think the MSE need to review the recommended sites for comparisons as carrrentals.co.uk is no longer a good one!!
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below
    • RangerChris
    • By RangerChris 9th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RangerChris
    Tip I thought I would share for booking car hire:
    I booked two cars for our holiday in France yesterday and did extensive research. I found that if I used .com for the carrentals site instead of the co.uk I was quoted in dollars and it came out significantly cheaper. One car I booked through Avis and the other through Alamo. Both are pay at the desk on arrival in the local currency.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    • 18,766 Posts
    • 7,874 Thanks
    richardw
    .. I found that if I used .com for the carrentals site instead of the co.uk I was quoted in dollars and it came out significantly cheaper....
    Originally posted by RangerChris
    Was CDW excluded on the .com website?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Hello,

Im wondering if anyone has had the experience with Gold Car .....
    Originally posted by cantabrico
    Yes- you and over four hundred thousand other unhappy punters who forgot to check reviews first; 450,000 complaints on Google- including one here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2744712&page=1

and thousands on Tripadvisor, such as
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187427-i42-k9134032-o10-Complaint_goldcar-Spain.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187484-i1036-k8904789-Renting_a_goldcar_car_in_Santander-Santander_Cantabria.html#70409993

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k6743361-o70-Solmar_car_rental_Barcelona_WARNING-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#71798910

Moral; google BEFORE you book; hundreds of thousands of whingers canít be wrong? Goldcar are so confident of a constant flow of complaining mugs that they employ a bot called Victoria R who responds with emollient PR messages for Goldcar.

Less cynically and more helpfully, there is an excellent Tripadvisor post with advice about car hire in Spain, from another forum, but relevant, by a regular contributor called Ceejayblue; #1 at

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187435-i317-k10395502-Tips_for_Car_Hire-Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html#83 951907

SO- IN SUMMARY
    Check reviews before you book- don't complai because you didn't!

Better luck next time- we rent several times a year and have never been scammed in over 50 rentals by doing due diligence FIRST
    • RangerChris
    • By RangerChris 12th Apr 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RangerChris
    Was CDW excluded on the .com website?
    Originally posted by richardw
    It is optional. I always buy stand alone annual car insurance cover for this though. Much cheaper.
    • jester1072
    • By jester1072 25th Apr 18, 6:34 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jester1072
    Does anybody have experience of using their partners credit card for deposit?
    Most terms say the card has to be in the lead drivers name.
    She doesn't want to drive, but my credi card only has a small credit limit.

Are they really fussy about this?

Cheers
    • Smevchenko
    • By Smevchenko 26th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Smevchenko
    Does anybody have experience of using their partners credit card for deposit?
    Most terms say the card has to be in the lead drivers name.
    She doesn't want to drive, but my credi card only has a small credit limit.

Are they really fussy about this?

Cheers
    Originally posted by jester1072
    Can you not get your partner to add you as an additional card holder?
    • Reason123
    • By Reason123 26th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Reason123
    I've been using autoeurope for a the last few occasions after they were recommended to me. good prices and easy to deal with.

• MadeInHeaven
    • By MadeInHeaven 29th Apr 18, 7:26 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MadeInHeaven
    Looking for 3 day car hire from Malaga Airport in July, most of the rental companies seem to want about 1200 EUR for a deposit and also 1200 EUR for excess. They will charge the deposit, but only check for available funds for the excess. Am i right in thinking I will therefore need something in the region of £2200 available on my credit card to be able to collect this vehicle?

Also, obviously the cheaper options are with companies such as GoldCar. Should I be avoiding these at all costs, is it really worth paying 2-3 times more to go with companies like Hertz or Enterprise?
    Originally posted by Smevchenko

Malagacar.com

Used these 2 times now. They are very busy & its a shuttle to the office (about 5 mins). We had bought & paid separate ins before (as per MSE info) and absolutely no question's or sell ups on arrival. We were in the office for 20 mins max, really efficient, friendly staff.
    • MENDIPS
    • By MENDIPS 30th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MENDIPS
    Malaga car hire
    Recommend MALAGACAR at the airport. Golf auto 8 days @ £280 .full cover.Half tank return policy. Quick shuttle to booking office.
    • jimarnold
    • By jimarnold 31st May 18, 12:04 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jimarnold
    to be clear autoeurope are a broker - ie intermediary - your car hire won't be with them and my experience with such brokers is that they will be as much use as a chocolate teapot if you run into problems - a cursory check of their website offers A WEEK with click rent of £1 !!!!! while they charge £149 if you book with AVIS for the same car !
    Does that not tell you something ??
    TANSTAAFL = There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch !!

The broker isn't important the hire company is !
    • codger
    • By codger 31st May 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    codger
    Almeria Airport car hire: Hertz
    We're just back from Spain's Almeria coast, the concluding week of an extensive tour of Spain by train and plane. We booked a week's car hire with Hertz via booking agents Rhino, itself part of a much larger broker-conglomerate. (We generally tend to book direct with the majors when and if a decent discount can be obtained; when it can't, we use Rhino, because its representation of Hertz, Avis, Alamo and Dollar has always worked well for us in our American journeyings.)

Although we didn't actually fly into Almeria, but came by train from Madrid for a couple of day's lazing around, we inadvertently finished up arriving to collect our Hertz rental from the airport desk at the same time as Gold Car customers from a newly arrived flight were collecting theirs.

I can't speak for the quality of the cars Goldcar was offering; I can speak for the length of the queue.

We paid £178 up front, via Rhino, for what turned out to be a gorgeous 3-week old / 900 kilometres-on-the-clock Renault Captur, complete with full tank of petrol. It was immaculate inside and out, spacious, comfortable, great to drive as only a mini-MPV can be, and ah! That new-car smell . . .

Hertz desk staff were superb. The didn't even ask to look at the Excess Insurance annual cover we have. All they asked was that we return the car with the same full tank as received.

The math here might, on the face of it, seem expensive: the Captur worked out at a hire rate of a little over £25 per day. And yet, and yet: that seems to us to be a not unreasonable charge for the use of a new vehicle costing around £16,000 in the UK.

As frequent travellers, we're well used to the exhortations of seeming bargain-basement outfits (and their brokers) luring in the punters with downright ludicrous hire prices, sometimes as little as a quid or two per day. Naive customers who fall for this have only themselves to blame when it all goes wrong: no car hire firm, not even an outfit hiring out mobile wrecks, can make a profit from so small a daily rate.

Moral: peace of mind is priceless, and £25 a day to ensure that is but a small amount, a very small amount, especially when what you're getting isn't something which you have to exhaustively photograph every last scratch and ding but is pristine, honest, and honestly rented.

If only people would wake up to the fact that everything has a price, and that one way or another, that price has to be paid, there'd be a lot less grief for so many out there . . .
    • richardw
    • By richardw 1st Jun 18, 8:10 AM
    • 18,766 Posts
    • 7,874 Thanks
    richardw
    £25 a day for a Captur! Bargain, great money saving there.
    That's a lot of car for the money.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • codger
    • By codger 1st Jun 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    codger
    £25 a day for a Captur! Bargain, great money saving there.
    That's a lot of car for the money.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Indeed it was, Richard. We enjoyed every moment with it.

What I really want to get across to MSErs is not to think that just because the major rental companies are oriented towards folks on expense accounts to whom daily rates don't much matter as they're not picking up the bill, bargains can frequently be had from those exact same companies, either directly or via their appointed brokers.

In this case, Hertz Almeria provided that £16,000+ car at a substantial discount on its normal rate, a discount not available at Hertz itself but offered via its broker, Rhino. As noted, we prefer to book direct rather than use third-party agencies, but we've used Rhino for many years and never encountered a problem over a cumulative umpteen 1,000s of miles driven across the USA and Continental Europe.

It was thanks to Rhino's customer email that we were made aware of a then "48 Hour Hertz Sale" -- though to be honest, such so-called sales are anything but infrequent. Needless to add, we have absolutely no connection with Hertz or Rhino other than as satisfied customers of longstanding.

PS: just an additional note for anyone here who may be considering car hire in Spain this year.

Hertz, we now learn, has invested heavily with Renault Spain, which assembles the delightful Captur at its Valladolid plant. The Captur comes with an excellent in-built Sat Nav, a feature that's an expensive chargeable extra on many another hire car and the reason why we always pack our Garmin for overseas trips. As ever, we lugged the Garmin and its cabling with us on this latest odyssey, realising too late that we need never have bothered.

As you rightly say, £25 a day for a new car including in-built SatNav was definitely a Best Buy!
    • locky123
    • By locky123 2nd Jun 18, 2:33 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    locky123
    It is optional. I always buy stand alone annual car insurance cover for this though. Much cheaper.
    Originally posted by RangerChris
    Looking at car hire in Italy and using autoeurope, find that prices are much lower using their .com site in dollars compared to .co.uk, and cant see any difference in what's included.

Is there a huge risk in booking this way?
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 2nd Jun 18, 5:21 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    AlSto
    Looking at car hire in Italy and using autoeurope, find that prices are much lower using their .com site in dollars compared to .co.uk, and cant see any difference in what's included.

Originally posted by locky123
    Check that CDW is included when using the US website.
    • locky123
    • By locky123 2nd Jun 18, 8:10 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    locky123
    Check that CDW is included when using the US website.
    Originally posted by AlSto
    CDW is mandatory when driving in Italy, so must be included as no other option.
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 2nd Jun 18, 9:28 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    AlSto

Originally posted by locky123
    No risk. Just make sure that you have stand-alone car hire excess insurance cover.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter