Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,220Posts
    • 3,555Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
Page 38
    • Wings of Ambition
    • By Wings of Ambition 16th Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    Wings of Ambition
    Just wanted to say how pleased I was with using the Car Hire Excess Insurance method through MSE. I bought a 2-day policy and had a bump in a car park while away on holiday earlier this month. Max excess was 800 euros and the repair bill, rather conveniently, came to 796 euros!

Spent an hour filling out the relevant forms this week and received confirmation of full payment this evening.

Cost of car hire excess insurance - less than £5
    Full claim amount being refunded - in excess of £700
    • martinmayer
    • By martinmayer 24th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    martinmayer
    Welcome all,

I would like to travel to Budapest. As I saw, in Budapest, BeeRides.com has the best prices. They are extremly cheap. Did anybody try their service?

Thanks in advance!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 24th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 18,579 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    ...BeeRides.com has the best prices. They are extremly cheap......
    Originally posted by martinmayer
    Avoid, far too cheap.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • mckinkle
    • By mckinkle 31st Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    mckinkle
    I've been done and I can't get anywhere trying to complain!
    Hello,
    We went away for hubby's 60th early September to Spain. I read your emails every week so when you showed that Do You Spain car hire was a really good buy I looked through and could see no con nor reason not to go with them.
    Arrived at airport in my wheelchair with a trolley filled with luggage that I was pushing as hubby was pushing me in my wheelchair, it was a scream!
    I'd carefully chosen and bought separate car insurance so we had the terrible delay at the car collection point as we wouldn't buy more insurance. They simply would NOT accept that we were covered but happy for them to swipe our credit card. This ended up taking 90mins.
    I'd ordered the smallest car so when we were given a Mercedes people carrier it seemed like heaven on earth as by then I was in excrutiating pain so just needed to go on our onward journey. However when we were charged nearly 100 Euros for the fuel I was rather shocked but reassured that we would be refunded what we dont use when we return the car. The joy at actually being on our way to our holiday destination lasted just 45 mins until the cars onboard computer system advised us to return asap to garage. We had to turn around and return to the airport. Nothing was said by means of apology, most people had left as clearly being in the small hours of the night there were no more expected customers.
    No wheelchairs in sight so hubby struggled with everything plus me out of the faulty car and into the replacement. We were sent off with a different car and told that we could get a refund when we return the car at the end of our holiday.
    The cars management system also came on with some alert the second day of the holiday but hubby assured me it wasn't going to affect us.
    Upon returning the car no one knew of any issue so there was no refund of anything.
    When we arrived home and received the statement for the credit card I was stunned to see that we had been charged another fee of about £50 by the car company. There were no scratches dents or accidents incurred so had no idea what it was for. I emailed the company but no reply. I called them and they said they would email me as could not look into it there and then. Since that date I have been getting nowhere fast. They say that it was the fee to fill the tank but my argument is that as we had paid for the full tank upon arrival how can we be expected to pay for it to be refilled??? I am at my wits end, can anyone please give me any advice as we just cannot afford this additional charge.
    Happy New Year to everyone.
    Thank you for reading this and for any advise/suggestions/help that you can give me,
    Keryn
    • funkyg
    • By funkyg 12th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    funkyg
    Going to Los Angeles? You might not need a car.
    Everyone says you need a car if going to LA, and we contemplated it but decided against it. We just used the Metro to get everywhere.
    You can get a weekly ticket for the Metro for $25 and it covers the underground and buses.
    If you’re going to Disney that’s a way out and you’d probably want a car to get there but other than that? Nope! We were staying in Hollywood and went to Santa Monica, Venice beach, Warner Bros, Universal, downtown, Glendale, Beverly Hills, Griffith Observatory, and CSC with the space shuttle. All for $25!!!
    • dlpmikki
    • By dlpmikki 7th Feb 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dlpmikki
    I want to hire a car in Italy but most of the companies I have looked at so far say you can't drive on 'white roads' in their cars and our villa is down about 5km of these. Anyone know a decent company that will let you drive on these unmade up roads?
    • tillster
    • By tillster 8th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tillster
    Car hire becoming more expensive in UK?
    I have been living overseas for some years, and I have the impression that car hire is becoming more and more expensive in the UK

Am I imagining this, or has anyone experienced a similar trend?

Case in point: I need to come home for a few days (May 29-31) - a two day rental through Kayak / Expedia / Skyscanner / whoever (using a decent supplier, not Greenmotion or similar cowboys) costs min. £80 for two days, which really seems a lot compared to what I used to pay
    Wise beneath my years
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 18,579 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    I have been living overseas for some years, and I have the impression that car hire is becoming more and more expensive in the UK

Am I imagining this, or has anyone experienced a similar trend?

Case in point: I need to come home for a few days (May 29-31) - a two day rental through Kayak / Expedia / Skyscanner / whoever (using a decent supplier, not Greenmotion or similar cowboys) costs min. £80 for two days, which really seems a lot compared to what I used to pay
    Originally posted by tillster
    Is that at a competitive pick up location?
    • Beduffshirl
    • By Beduffshirl 13th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Beduffshirl
    Ireland Extra Driver
    We're going in two weeks and need a car for 4 days from Dublin Airport and would ideally both like to drive. However there are some great offers on at the moment which means it would be cheaper to hire two cars than cover two drivers in one car. Isn't that madness. Anyone any ideas please? We have annual excess cover so that doesnt come into it.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 14th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    halogen
    I need to hire a car a couple of times in the next couple of months. once from Gatwick airport for about 36 hours and once from Luton airport for a couple of days. The 2nd one is for business so will eventually be paid by by my work and I am therefore a bit less concerened about the cost but even so it seems excessive when my local car hire charges £150 for a week.
    However I have done several searches online for the hire and it seems to be a maze of T&C. Some compnies want a recent utility bill ( which I don't have as they are all online and never show the address when I try and print, even if they had the same address as my driving licence, which they don't), some want the paper bit of the driving Licence, which I no longer have as I thought it wasn't valid any more.
    Some ask for 2 credit cards and put a huge ringfence on them- which might cause me an issue.

Is there any company people can recommend that don't make it a nightmare of bringing a tree worth of paperwork with you? Preferably one that doesn't involve a walk to the car from arrivals as I have slight mobility issues as well- which is why I want to hire a car rather than deal with unfamiliar public transport.
    • tricky145
    • By tricky145 14th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tricky145
    Costco car hire - free second driver
    Hi All,
    Hope this helps someone - I have been looking at USA car hire (florida) and they all seem to add an additional £10 / day for an additional driver which can add up....
    Just happened to check Costco car hire (details on website or back of offers brocure) and they offer a free second driver on all 2018 car hires .This made them the best deal for me.
    Note also you reserve the car and the price is fixed (in local currency) then pay when you pick up car, you are subject to exchange rate movements but you keep hold of your money for a bit longer. You can also cancel anytime before (up to 24 hrs i think) if you find a better deal.
    I booked as early as possible and have just checked and the rate has gone up for all reantal companies - hopefully i have done the right thing this time.
    As i say hope this helps someone.
    Ian
    • Smevchenko
    • By Smevchenko 15th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smevchenko
    Looking for 3 day car hire from Malaga Airport in July, most of the rental companies seem to want about 1200 EUR for a deposit and also 1200 EUR for excess. They will charge the deposit, but only check for available funds for the excess. Am i right in thinking I will therefore need something in the region of £2200 available on my credit card to be able to collect this vehicle?

Also, obviously the cheaper options are with companies such as GoldCar. Should I be avoiding these at all costs, is it really worth paying 2-3 times more to go with companies like Hertz or Enterprise?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 15th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 18,579 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    Looking for 3 day car hire from Malaga Airport in July....companies like Hertz or Enterprise?
    Originally posted by Smevchenko
    They can be very competitive at this location. What £s are they asking?

Thousands have been scammed by rubbish car hire companies, why do you want to join them?
    • RogerL
    • By RogerL 18th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RogerL
    This is not strictly a reply, just a way to get feedback on the following. I read the section on hiring from the 'holiday' country's website (Alamo - Portugal in my case) and clicked on the top Google entry for this, which was an Ad for Carflexi.com. The prices are FAR LOWER (between £80 - £100). Is this too good to be true? Anyone had experience of this?
    • southantrim3
    • By southantrim3 30th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    southantrim3
    Can anyone recommend a car hire firm at Malaga airport?

Seems to be a minefield so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 18,579 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    Can anyone recommend a car hire firm at Malaga airport?

Seems to be a minefield so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by southantrim3
    See post #753. How many days for?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 31st Mar 18, 9:00 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Looking for 3 day car hire from Malaga Airport in July, most of the rental companies seem to want about 1200 EUR for a deposit and also 1200 EUR for excess. They will charge the deposit, but only check for available funds for the excess. Am i right in thinking I will therefore need something in the region of £2200 available on my credit card to be able to collect this vehicle?

Also, obviously the cheaper options are with companies such as GoldCar. Should I be avoiding these at all costs, is it really worth paying 2-3 times more to go with companies like Hertz or Enterprise?
    Originally posted by Smevchenko

Deposit and excess are one and the same.
    • cantabrico
    • By cantabrico 3rd Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cantabrico
    Car hire Tenerife
    Hello,

Im wondering if anyone has had the experience with Gold Car in Tenerife, maybe it happens with other companies too? We hired a care for 2 weeks and bought our own insurance in the UK. When we went to pick the car up at the airport we were told the insurance didn't cover us and the only insurance that did was their own at 250.00 pounds which we ended up paying on top of the care hire. We heard a couple infront if us too saying that a driver under 25 also had to pay an additional 200 on top of that!I didn't understand why our insurance that we bought in the UK wouldn't cover us, but Gold Car were having none of it. My partner is Spanish and even he couldn't get to understand why our insurance wouldn't cover us. Has anyone else had this experience, or know why our insurance wouldn't cover the car. Do you have to buy theirs? I hired a car with them in Tenerife 2 years ago and did not have this problem. It seems to me they have cottoned on to making some money by people buying their own insurance and telling everyone they are not covered if they buy their own.....
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 3rd Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,637 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Hello,

Im wondering if anyone has had the experience with Gold Car in Tenerife, maybe it happens with other companies too? We hired a care for 2 weeks and bought our own insurance in the UK. When we went to pick the car up at the airport we were told the insurance didn't cover us and the only insurance that did was their own at 250.00 pounds which we ended up paying on top of the care hire. We heard a couple infront if us too saying that a driver under 25 also had to pay an additional 200 on top of that!I didn't understand why our insurance that we bought in the UK wouldn't cover us, but Gold Car were having none of it. My partner is Spanish and even he couldn't get to understand why our insurance wouldn't cover us. Has anyone else had this experience, or know why our insurance wouldn't cover the car. Do you have to buy theirs? I hired a car with them in Tenerife 2 years ago and did not have this problem. It seems to me they have cottoned on to making some money by people buying their own insurance and telling everyone they are not covered if they buy their own.....
    Originally posted by cantabrico
    Shoddy company judging by other threads.

Your own insurance would require you to pay the car hire company for damage and claim it back later.

You weren't required to take a second policy with the hirer. I'd be tempted to talk to your bank about a chargeback.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 3rd Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    bought our own insurance in the UK. When we went to pick the car up at the airport we were told the insurance didn't cover us and
    Originally posted by cantabrico
    When you buy your own insurance for CDW excess it covers yourself according to whatever its terms are. It is nothing to do with the hire firm and there is no need to even mention it to them - simply and firmly decline their own excess cover without further conversation. They will take a preauthorisation on your credit card, and if any damage is found on the car's return (that was not clearly marked on the report when picking up the car), will retain that excess amount. You ideally get the invoice at drop-off, or later, and claim that back on your own extra insurance. Goldcar, especially in Tenerife, are best avoided unless you know how to deal with such cowboys.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,088Posts Today

8,892Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin