PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

any alternative to loo roll...................

in these days of going green..etc

so just for curiosity what alternaive would there be for loo roll.....
except giant dock leaves..lol

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I'm sure it was on here that I was reading about 'wee wipes'.

There is no way I'm giving this one a try ...

Edit: Here they are:

http://shop.homemattersmost.org.uk/epages/es109934.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es109934_shop/Categories/%22Organic%20Cotton%20Wee%20Wipes%22
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Sadly, I,m keeping an eye on my loo roll consumption. I last bought any 1/7/08, it,s only me so trying not to use big wedges of the stuff. If I keep this up I,ll be able to wipe me harris with fivers.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Magentasue wrote: »
    I'm sure it was on here that I was reading about 'wee wipes'.

There is no way I'm giving this one a try ...

Edit: Here they are:

http://shop.homemattersmost.org.uk/epages/es109934.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es109934_shop/Categories/%22Organic%20Cotton%20Wee%20Wipes%22
    If you washed these each time, how much would you spend on detergeant:rolleyes:
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Cut up newspapers:confused: - well that's people used before our bums got so soft innit?
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yep....there is indeed the options of dock leaves (reckon other big leaves - like ivy - might also be a possibility perchance? not sure there on t' health and safety angle) and our Jenny O's wee wipes of course.

T'other thing I have read about is the pouring a stream of water down the relevant area - helping it along with the non-writing hand. That was what Middle Eastern cultures did for centuries after all as I understand it - left hand for cleansing purposes and right hand for eating with (keep the two separate!). On mainland Europe - isnt that what bidets are for (I have scant knowledge on this one - my living abroad phases not having been on the Continent).

There's old-style British of course - ie newspapers cut up into squares. Guess that depends on how effectively one's loo works when its flushed:confused:

We all had to manage for centuries before loo paper was invented - so I guess a bit of a quick google might give a few other ideas (I'm wondering what the Ancient Romans did for instance - as they were pretty cleanliness-conscious).
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    teedy23 wrote: »
    If you washed these each time, how much would you spend on detergeant:rolleyes:

If ... ?:eek:
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A rag on a stick?
  • Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    you only need one sheet.

Stick ya finger through the centre. work ya finger around wiping ya butt, then back through hole in the sheet cleaning finger.
    Jobs a good un.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Some cultures used to use sponges - I gather that includes yer Ancient Romans (having had a quick google):rolleyes:

I think others used moss.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think I know the answer to this one.

When I was at school, long ago, we had this little rhyme:

In days of old, when knights were bold
    And toilet rolls weren't invented,
    You wiped your *rse
    On a blade of grass
    And walked away contented. :rotfl:

A few years ago they did a 'life in Iron Age Britain' program, where due to the odd diet they frequently got the trots. They had a little privy and apparently used whatever greenery they could grab. One night someone grabbed....a handful of nettles :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure