Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 29th Jul 08, 4:39 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?
    • 29th Jul 08, 4:39 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket? 29th Jul 08 at 4:39 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you keep the lottery ticket?

You’re in the lift at your local shopping centre, a woman talking excitedly on the phone says she won an unspecified amount on last night’s lottery. Yet she’s saying she can’t find the ticket and asking her husband if he’s got it. She gets out at the next floor, and you notice its fallen from her bag and on the floor, as the door closes.

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you pick herbs from a strangers's hedge?
    Should Arkwright give Granville his money back?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 29-07-2008 at 7:29 PM.
Page 1
  • Winky, The House Elf
    • 29th Jul 08, 10:18 PM
    • 29th Jul 08, 10:18 PM
    No, it's not mine. I would call after her to come back.

Could you honestly look yourself in the eye in the mirror? Its completely wrong as you clearly know who the owner of the ticket is, it then amounts to theft...where do you draw the line? "it was half hanging out her pocket anyway?"
  • MRS TO BE
    • 29th Jul 08, 10:22 PM
    • 29th Jul 08, 10:22 PM
    Couldn't live with myself...having money out of someone elses misfortune who be terrible. Would try and find her.
    • Beate
    • By Beate 29th Jul 08, 10:35 PM
    • 3,521 Posts
    • 4,198 Thanks
    Beate
    • 29th Jul 08, 10:35 PM
    • 29th Jul 08, 10:35 PM
    Same here, I would feel like a thief. I would definitely call after her.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, 170.03 Capital One Bank Charges 418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, 2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • greenstick
    • 29th Jul 08, 10:47 PM
    I couldn't keep it if I knew who's it was

If I found the ticket in the street without knowing who it belonged to, I'd pick it up and check the numbers. If it turned out to be a winner, fantastic.
    • SonOfPearl
    • By SonOfPearl 29th Jul 08, 10:47 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    SonOfPearl
    No brainer. I'd give it back, of course. Keeping it would simply be stealing!
    • Wistful100
    • By Wistful100 29th Jul 08, 11:04 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Wistful100
    • 29th Jul 08, 11:04 PM
    Anyone with an iota of self esteem wouldn't even consider keeping it
    • 29th Jul 08, 11:04 PM
    I'd chase the lady down the hall if necessary. What a dreadful idea to walk away with someone else's winning ticket when you know who it belongs to.......! There is certainly no happiness to be had from keeping it under those circumstances although I'm sure some will imply it would be OK. Shame on you for even suggesting it!
    • JPS
    • By JPS 29th Jul 08, 11:29 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    JPS
    • 29th Jul 08, 11:29 PM
    • 29th Jul 08, 11:29 PM
    No doubt about it - run after her and give it back! She would feel like she had won it all over again! Would be great to make someones day like that
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing
  • Sharp_Eyes
    • 30th Jul 08, 12:37 AM
    • 30th Jul 08, 12:37 AM
    Run after her through the lift door? Sounds like a job for Superman! *LOL* My local shopping centre is quite big. Am I going to chase after this stranger for hours? Nope! You snooze, you lose.

In these moral dilemmas everybody seems to want to qualify their answers so here goes:
    1. If the question had asked if I noticed the ticket on the floor WHILE she was asking her husband would I keep quiet about it and then take it for myself, then NO. I'd point it out to her. To do otherwise would be dishonest.
    2. To notice the ticket AFTER she left AND the doors have closed is completely different. Learn to take better care of your stuff!
    *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)"
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 30th Jul 08, 12:43 AM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    Give it back, like I would anything i saw someone drop. To do anything esle is theft.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
  • skintas
    keep it, would she give it back to me if it was the other way around...no...sorry, she may have won it, but the cash inst in her hand yet, so in theory she hasnt had the money yet, so how can she miss it
    i will be debt free, i will
  • stogiebear
    I'm guessing that if she is jabbering about it on the phone then the amount isn't that much. But my first instinct was 'How do I remove her prints and DNA from the ticket!'
    • pixwix
    • By pixwix 30th Jul 08, 1:42 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    pixwix
    Absolutely not. Couldn't face myself in a mirror.

But unless the prize was for a very small amount, I wouldn't simply place the ticket back into her hand. Given that possession is 9 points of the law, she'd need to accompany me to the nearest solicitor's office where the ticket would be formally returned in exchange for a legally binding promise of a 10% reward. Fair's fair...
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 30th Jul 08, 6:19 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    Since I would know who the ticket belonged to I would definately give it back. There may be a nice little reward for doing so - I would offer one.
    If the circumstances were different and I found the ticket without knowing whose it was, then it's finders keepers.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 30th Jul 08, 6:21 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    The same would apply to money.
  • zaney155
    Money Moral Dilemma Lottery Ticket
    Would I keep the ticket?
    Damn right I would!
    If she can`t look after her winning ticket, that`s her hard kuck!
    • LoveLifeAgain
    • By LoveLifeAgain 30th Jul 08, 7:22 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    LoveLifeAgain
    Would certainly go after her and hand it back as it belongs to her and not me. Would never enter my mind to keep it.
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 30th Jul 08, 7:39 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    I'm with the majority here - would give it back. Would certainly try and find her in the shopping centre. I would even go to the security centre for their help if needs be (e.g. check the monitors, etc) or the customer service centre and ask them to put out a call over the tannoy - after all, I know what she looks like!
  • Shaggy123
    Definitely. Not give it back that is. If guilt hit me I'd find out her address and leave half the amount in cash on her doorstep in a brown envelope.
  • brunix
    Latin wisdom :-)
    Quisque faber fortunae suae...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

2,971Users online

Martin's Twitter