Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 21st Jul 08, 1:01 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would you pick herbs from a stranger's hedge?
    • 21st Jul 08, 1:01 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would you pick herbs from a stranger's hedge? 21st Jul 08 at 1:01 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you pick herbs from a stranger's hedge?

You’re off to the grocers, to pick up, amongst other things, a bunch of rosemary to go in tonight’s tea
    . Yet lo and behold, on the way, you pass a house with an overgrown front hedge, and lovely fresh rosemary is spilling out onto the street. The herb would have been pretty pricey to buy separately, and you’re very tempted to grab a few sprigs (this doesn’t involve going into their front garden). Would you pick herbs from a strangers hedge?

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:
    Should Arkwright give him his money back?
    Should you still help your kids get on the housing ladder?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 22-07-2008 at 4:54 PM.
Page 1
  • Boonbetty
    • 22nd Jul 08, 9:10 PM
    • 22nd Jul 08, 9:10 PM
    Yes but I would ask first. I have a feeling the owners of the hedge would be more than happy to donate!
  • blueseas
    • 22nd Jul 08, 9:27 PM
    rosemary
    • 22nd Jul 08, 9:27 PM
    Well, no I won't pick it but only because you don't know what he may have used to grow it. Otherwise, a few cherries hanging over the fence? yes, of course.
    • andan
    • By andan 22nd Jul 08, 9:39 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 9,902 Thanks
    andan
    • 22nd Jul 08, 9:39 PM
    • 22nd Jul 08, 9:39 PM
    Yes, i would also perhaps ask, just incase i was spotted! I somehow doubt the owners would mind and it works out great for everyone, as the owner probably feels they are also doing a good turn!
    Live on 4500, 2531/4500 101 in 1001 (52/101)

• luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 22nd Jul 08, 10:23 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,128 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 22nd Jul 08, 10:23 PM
    • 22nd Jul 08, 10:23 PM
    I HAD a lovely rosemary bush in my front garden until it was snapped in half and virtually uprooted by some greedy b****r who did not have the courtesy to ask and just pulled too hard. The coward then ran away. I certainly do not feel that vandal did me a good turn as the transplanting (in the back garden this time) was not very successful, so I had to start again.

Rosemary smells lovely, tastes good, is a good drought resistant herb and does thrive if the tips are pinched out- but not if half the town takes turns ripping branches off the plant. ASK FIRST!
    • Buggins
    • By Buggins 22nd Jul 08, 10:24 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Buggins
    • 22nd Jul 08, 10:24 PM
    • 22nd Jul 08, 10:24 PM
    Yes, however I would prefer to ask owner if available but if not - it's overhanging the highway so I would take the same attitude as that of next door neighbour (i.e. apples overhanging garden are okay to scrump!!)
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 22nd Jul 08, 10:47 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 39,783 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 22nd Jul 08, 10:47 PM
    • 22nd Jul 08, 10:47 PM
    Yes, a little sprig of rosemary off a bush does not cause damage to the plant, and if it is sticking out in the public pathway it is for all to pick! I would not begrudge anyone doing this to my (sticking out) rosemary.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • ericmwatson
    • 23rd Jul 08, 1:20 AM
    Rosemay
    • 23rd Jul 08, 1:20 AM
    Over hanging the Highway

No problem it might have brushed my spectacles off.

But just enough to flavour the lamb and gravy.

If it were too much over hanging it might be a job for the local council. Save them the problem.
    • veruccasalt
    • By veruccasalt 23rd Jul 08, 7:10 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    veruccasalt
    • 23rd Jul 08, 7:10 AM
    • 23rd Jul 08, 7:10 AM
    definitely-probably do the bush good, stimulate new growth etc etc

but I would only take what I would use and be very careful
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 23rd Jul 08, 7:26 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    I would knock and ask first. Not sure of the legality of taking it if it is hanging over the footpath - I know you can cut down overhanging foliage in your garden but you must then throw it back over the fence to whoever owns it. But this is not your garden!

Slightly different, but I once needed to park across someone's driveway (daughter going to orthodontist appointment over the road and there was no-where else to park) so I knocked and asked permission - they were happy to give it and extremely surprised that someone had asked. Same principle.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 23rd Jul 08, 7:33 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Rosemary Hedge
    There is a house near us with a beautiful rosemary hedge which the owner trims regularly and then puts the cuttings into green bin bags. When we asked him for some sprigs to freeze he was happy to oblige and shortly afterwards presented us with a rooted cutting to grow our own plant.
  • TheFionut
    Yes I would, but only a little bit, and not every week. I'd worry though that if everybody took some they're be none left.
    Saying that, I live in flats and have a rosemary bush in a pot on the walkway outside my front door. And now it's pretty sad looking because everyone helps themselves to a little.
    • madmurphy3
    • By madmurphy3 23rd Jul 08, 7:40 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    madmurphy3
    if it is growing out on to the street then from my point of view its fine to take it as long as you don't kill the plant. if the owner doesn't like it they should tidy the garden!
  • Bertiebrooke
    Would you pick Rosemary from someone els's hedge?
    Absolutely not! The hedge belongs to the property owner, just as your neighbours overhanging apple tree branches and fruit belongs to them. Yes you could cut the overhanging branches off, but they have to be returned to the neighbour and so does the fruit.
    The same applies to the Rosemary. If it overhangs your property or even a public footpath, it still belongs to the property owner so could only be picked and kept with the property owner's permission.
  • teddyco
    Grocery stores usually sell whole plants that are ready for the ground.
    All you need is a pot with soil and free rosemary all year round. If you have a friend with rosemary, you can take a cutting and start another rosemary plant.
  • ducatibabe
    I'd ask My (very large scary) neighbour decided he wanted dthe mint from my front garden which was fine when he was taking the mint that was haging over the edge of the garden wall.However when he decided to start climbing over my 4 foot tall wall to get the mint I decided he was taking the Pi$$ but being on my own and not a large scary man found him very intimidating ..........................and he STILL takes what he wants from my garden (even tho Iasked him nicely to stop climbing over my wall ) and no one will do anything so I'm now looking for a new home for me and my daughter
    • antbarson
    • By antbarson 23rd Jul 08, 8:10 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    antbarson
    Rosemary
    Yep, I would take some...if it's overhanging the footpath.

I recently had to call the estate agent to an unoccupied house near me where the lavender bushes had all but taken up an couple of inches on pavement. These herbs grow like the clappers. No harm in grabbing enough for dinner!
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Yes I would pick it. If it's on the street then it's on public property. A few sprigs wouldn't do any harm.
    *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)"
  • vickih
    rosemary from hedge
    Yes I would take a little it will probably only be trimmed and thrown away again so avoiding waste by taking it
    vicki
    • Beacon Bright
    • By Beacon Bright 23rd Jul 08, 8:53 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Beacon Bright
    No Problem
    Picking a few sprigs would not damage the plant - therefor no problem.

I wondered for a little while whether it would be Theft as I would be picking from a cultivated plant growing on private land, but decided that the owner would have given his approval if he knew of my taking it - so still no problem!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter