When do CSA payments stop

Can someone tell me exactly when a final payment is made with regards to CSA maintance?
My youngest son will be 19yrs old in September '08 and from my understanding payment should cease on the First Monday of the month in which the19th Birthday falls, he chose to go onto further education at the age of 16.

Comments

• Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Hi

I have started a new thread for you as you should get more responses this way.

Someone will be along to help shortly :o
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • JohnCGibbs
    JohnCGibbs Posts: 35 Forumite
    Many thanks Kimatatsu being a newbie I'm not sure how all this works yet?
  • Donedoingdebt
    Donedoingdebt Posts: 1,196
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    CSA liability will cease after his 19th birthday, not the first Monday of that month, although you will have to make a normal payment in October as child support is paid 1 month in arrears.
    The first Monday of the month rule applies to school/college courses that are completed before the child reaches 19.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10 :beer::beer:
  • JohnCGibbs
    Many thanks...I have writtain to the CSA regarding the subject, this was more than 10 days ago, and as expected, still not had a response or reply.

But as I understand it , my son would have finished his further education at the start of this school holiday, so the ffirst monday should then apply, then August should be the last payment...
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    I think you will find that for school leavers your liability ends on the first Monday in September after he has left school.

10 days? If you are lucky they will just about have opened the letter! I was told that it can take 14 days from receipt of the letter to arrive on someones desk as the post is not opened onsite but rather at a seperate venue away from the staff :confused:

I have found that if you want to get something through to them quickly either email it or fax it to them - only takes 3 days then.........

Also bear in mind that CSA payments (I think - someone will correct me if I am wrong) run in arrears, so your last payment may be October.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • moike
    moike Posts: 104 Forumite
    Has anyone got anylinks to the CSA site that confirms all this?
    I've been trawling through all the PDF's but can't find any info on this. As I don't go through the CSA myself (we have a voluntary arrangements but the same as the CSA levels ) so am unsure of the termination dates.
    Regards
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry do not have a link to CSA site giving the info but I know that CSA responsibilty stops when Child benefit stops which is detailed here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/16-or-over.htm

My 18 year old finished school in June and her child benefit stopped in July because she was working more than 24hours per week. We did know she would not be going back to further education. Once I inofrmed CB I also informed CSA.
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • moike
    moike Posts: 104 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply, eventually managed to find the right page here
    Regards
  • JohnCGibbs
    Thanks everyone for the input, paying in arrears? according to the print out of money paid to the CSA it goes like this..
    28/07/08 Maintenance charge - debit £315.99....credit balance 315.99
    30/07/08 Payment received- thank you debit Credit £315.99 balance 0.00 suggests to me that becuase I pay at the end of the month, then that money pays for that month, have I got it wrong?
  • You have got it right, CSA maintenance payments are always paid in arrears, for example the charge on the 28/07 was the maintenance for the month of July.

With regards the end date for Child maintenance there seems to be some confusion in the other treads with that of child benefit (which is a seperate entity from that of the CSA).

The child support charges end on the childs 19th birthday, providing that they are not in full time work or claiming benefits in their own right in that case they would stopped earlier.

If your child's birthday is in september you should have one final payment at the end of september for the period 01/09/08 up to the childs birthday (providing that you are not paying off any outstanding arrears)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure